BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #23
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Ahhh, didn't realize you were running a tune. When you installed the plugs did you gap the plugs or install with the factory gap. With the tune though are very much playing with the balance of the fire/combustion triangle, oxygen, fuel and heat, but sometimes referred to as a fire/combustion tetrahedron due to the chemical reaction/chemistry of combustion.

There are folks far smarter than me on finer details of tuning but tuning is just playing with a/f, ignition advance, assumptions about heat soak etc. With the stock tune things are more pedestrian but with an off the shelf tune, aka a generic tune, there are some assumptions being made and without a feedback loop of data logging and retune you are going to find the faults in that tune more frequently. If you went to a tuner they'd be able to get you to a more reliable state or at a minimum keep you under/out of the area of failure.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #24
deni2316
Rep
Drives: bmw m6 gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Ahhh, didn't realize you were running a tune. When you installed the plugs did you gap the plugs or install with the factory gap. With the tune though are very much playing with the balance of the fire/combustion triangle, oxygen, fuel and heat, but sometimes referred to as a fire/combustion tetrahedron due to the chemical reaction/chemistry of combustion.

There are folks far smarter than me on finer details of tuning but tuning is just playing with a/f, ignition advance, assumptions about heat soak etc. With the stock tune things are more pedestrian but with an off the shelf tune, aka a generic tune, there are some assumptions being made and without a feedback loop of data logging and retune you are going to find the faults in that tune more frequently. If you went to a tuner they'd be able to get you to a more reliable state or at a minimum keep you under/out of the area of failure.

Gotcha yea it’s just the bootmod3 stage 1 93 octane tune, which worked perfectly fine up until this issue.

But now if I switch to stock I get the same issue but with no codes which is a bit annoying. I can contact a tuner that deals with bootmod3 and see if they could tell me anything.

In the meantime I’ll check the car again to see what could have gone wrong yesterday
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #25
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Did you change the gap on the plugs?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #26
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
Did you change the gap on the plugs?
Yes my father did with the tools the plugs came with to .020 as recommended by ngk
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Probably something with the air or fuel supply then. I'd double and triple check every couplers for the air intake all the way down to the throttle bodies, clean or replace the maf's and get an experienced shop to log some pulls with an eye on the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. Don't flog it much until ya know about the fuel lean issue. There is a cooling effect from the atomization of fuel soo less fuel less cooling.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #28
deni2316
Rep

To follow up on this, we switched 1-4 with 5-8 coils and plugs and the misfire moved to cylinder 6. Pressure on all 8 is a solid 180.

It turns out 1 of the 8 new Delphine coils was just shit and causing misfire so just put one of the original bosche ones in and car is driving better than ever!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #29
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deni2316 View Post
To follow up on this, we switched 1-4 with 5-8 coils and plugs and the misfire moved to cylinder 6. Pressure on all 8 is a solid 180.

It turns out 1 of the 8 new Delphine coils was just shit and causing misfire so just put one of the original bosche ones in and car is driving better than ever!
That is great news. Crazy that you had an out of box failure. Where did you buy the coils from?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
That is great news. Crazy that you had an out of box failure. Where did you buy the coils from?
I read about of lot of instances with that from the boshe ones that’s why I went with Delphine and yea lol

Got em from rock auto for fastest delivery time
Appreciate 0