BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Question Bought a 2014 M6 GC 'Individual Launch Edition'

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself as I recently pulled the trigger on a 2014 M6 GC 'Individual Launch Edition'.

A bit of background of what lead me to this purchase:
- Had an E60 550i M-Sport for 5 years before switching to an F10 535i M-Sport in June 2017.
- The F10 is still running solidly and I obviously had no intention of switching cars this soon but came across this 2014 M6 GC at a dealership in Calgary and couldn't resist checking it out a few weeks ago. The 'pure driving experience' is a big aspect of owning any car for me so obviously going from the F10 to a proper M car is a massive step up that I couldn't pass up.
- Some basics on the car itself: 2014, 30,800 km (19,100 miles), no factory warranty, was leased from Calgary BMW.
- I managed to negotiate them down to $65,500 CAD ($49,800 USD) plus GST for it.

However I had the dealership send it to BMW Gallery just down the road to do a full mechanical inspection.

The issued they observed were as follows:
- Replaced the rear differential as it had a whine/growl on over run
- Replaced right rear axle shaft and right rear wheel bearing due to damage upon inspection
- Put new summer tires on as the previous set was bald
- Replaced the driver assistance package camera due to a malfunction
- Recharged the A/C system

All the work has been done now. I opted not to get any aftermarket warranty as those are usually a scam and pain to get any claims approved.

My usage on the car is going to be pretty minimal. It'll be summer use only with <5000 km (3000 miles) driven per year. I have an X5 that I'll be using for the winter. So I'm hoping that my maintenance/service costs will be low.

The car is scheduled to be trucked up from Calgary to me on Tuesday afternoon. But before I start driving it, I would love to hear the candid thoughts from fellow M6 owners on here: What do you guys think of this particular car itself? Was the purchase price fair or did I get hosed? More importantly, what are some of the mechanical things to look out for during ownership? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

Last edited by ind_can; 07-01-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Reliable1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M8 Comp Gran Coupe

Gorgeous M6!
Love the color, love the interior, just beautiful!
Good luck and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Nice! Soundstream is also selling his. I wish this was available for the US market.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-02-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
nice choice, i like the interior.
      07-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!!
I usually don't hate, but my God, I'm jealous!

Fantastic exterior and interior. Love everything about it.
Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
TonkaM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 Convertible LCI

Garage List
The car looks absolutely ‘spanking’. I hope you have loads of fun giving it the ‘beans’
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

I have the exact same car, the paint is the best part. Pure metal silver, pics dont do it justice really an amazing color when you see it in person. congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Stunning color. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

looks like siverstone ??
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #10
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone!

The car was delivered earlier today and I'm already hooked. I feel like I want to be driving it or staring at it every free moment I have...
Will post some better photos on the weekend after I've had a chance to polish and wax it.

Last edited by ind_can; 07-20-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:38 AM   #12
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Gorgeous combo with the interior. And that is a incredible deal for the miles. Probably the best deal I’ve seen for an M6 gran coupe let alone all these options it has. Does it have to comp package or carbon ceramic brakes?

Last edited by mastatikle; 07-05-2018 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #13
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Nice! Soundstream is also selling his. I wish this was available for the US market.
Are these not able to be registered and driven in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

Definitely a great deal with those low kms. With paint like that you should consider ceramic pro gold pkg instead of wax. Mine turned out amazing really brings depth to the pure metal.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #15
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Have had the car for a few days now and noted the following mechanical observations which I'm having a hard time diagnosing. Any suggestions?

1) A loud high pitched whine from the engine bay when lightly revving the engine, particularly between 1000-2000 RPM. This occurs in all gears, even neutral. It's coming from the belts area and quite noticeable from inside the cabin but also standing with the hood popped.

2) A fairly audible mechanical linkage clicking sound from the front passenger footwell when changing gears up/down. This occurs even when parked and switching from neutral to first.

3) A fairly audible grinding/scraping sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when shifting up through each gear, accompanied by rough shifting.

4) A loud squeal from the front brakes when coming to a standstill particularly between 20 kmh down to 0 kmh.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:41 AM   #16
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post
Have had the car for a few days now and noted the following mechanical observations which I'm having a hard time diagnosing. Any suggestions?

1) A loud high pitched whine from the engine bay when lightly revving the engine, particularly between 1000-2000 RPM. This occurs in all gears, even neutral. It's coming from the belts area and quite noticeable from inside the cabin but also standing with the hood popped.

2) A fairly audible mechanical linkage clicking sound from the front passenger footwell when changing gears up/down. This occurs even when parked and switching from neutral to first.

3) A fairly audible grinding/scraping sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when shifting up through each gear, accompanied by rough shifting.

4) A loud squeal from the front brakes when coming to a standstill particularly between 20 kmh down to 0 kmh.

I’d take it to a different dealer than the one that did the work and have them diagnose everything. These brakes tend to make noise, can try changing pads but might not do much. Seems like these can be serious issues if not taken care of soon. I would’ve drive the car too hard if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post

First off, I believe we may have actually corresponded about my vehicle. Mine was the Ontario car with CCBs and a 2 year BMW extended warranty.

Anyways, I have not experienced any of the issues that you mentioned, but I thought I would chime in on a couple of them.

I am not sure of your history with BMW vehicles, but I have found that my M cars have been noisier in general than the more mainstream BMW vehicles I drove before. Not annoyingly noisy - you just hear more of the mechanical of the car working away.

When I first drove my M4 off the lot, I was concerned with all the mechanical noises, as "issues", but was re-assured by my dealer that a lot of what you hear is amplified. For M cars, design decisions are more performance oriented than comfort/luxury oriented.

However, nothing would be what I classify as "loud". So if your definition of "loud" is relative to say a 650i, then it might just be that your ears need to get used to the sounds of an M car.

But the grading/scraping definitely does not sound normal. No car (M or not) should be making those kinds of noises.

Also, regarding the brakes - because that car had been on the lot for quite while, I wouldn't be surprised if the rotors picked up a lot of oxidation. I once had a Mercedes that I had sit in my garage for a month and when I went to finally drive it, for the next several days the brakes were rough and noisy. Perhaps doing a proper bed-in procedure would resolve your issues there. There's lots of posts in the forum explaining how to properly bed in brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
First off, I believe we may have actually corresponded about my vehicle. Mine was the Ontario car with CCBs and a 2 year BMW extended warranty.

Anyways, I have not experienced any of the issues that you mentioned, but I thought I would chime in on a couple of them.

I am not sure of your history with BMW vehicles, but I have found that my M cars have been noisier in general than the more mainstream BMW vehicles I drove before. Not annoyingly noisy - you just hear more of the mechanical of the car working away.

When I first drove my M4 off the lot, I was concerned with all the mechanical noises, as "issues", but was re-assured by my dealer that a lot of what you hear is amplified. For M cars, design decisions are more performance oriented than comfort/luxury oriented.

However, nothing would be what I classify as "loud". So if your definition of "loud" is relative to say a 650i, then it might just be that your ears need to get used to the sounds of an M car.

But the grading/scraping definitely does not sound normal. No car (M or not) should be making those kinds of noises.

Also, regarding the brakes - because that car had been on the lot for quite while, I wouldn't be surprised if the rotors picked up a lot of oxidation. I once had a Mercedes that I had sit in my garage for a month and when I went to finally drive it, for the next several days the brakes were rough and noisy. Perhaps doing a proper bed-in procedure would resolve your issues there. There's lots of posts in the forum explaining how to properly bed in brakes.
Thank you for the feedback. Being new to M cars, that definitely helps out a little bit. I've scheduled an inspection with a BMW dealership (not the one I bought it from) on Thursday.

- I can appreciate that M cars would definitely be more noisier than non-M cars, especially in regards to the mechanical operation of the cars. I'm coming from a 535i which is a very quiet car in comparison. None of the observations are particularly bothersome it's just that you notice them more coming from a mainstream BMW.

- The only noise that I would consider to be borderline annoying is the constant whine/wheeze from the engine bay belts are, particularly between 1200 RPM to 2000 RPM. It almost sounds like the whine of a supercharger. Any ideas what this could be? I can't imagine this would be normal for any M vehicle.

- The squealing brakes explanation makes sense. The car was sitting on the lot from October 2017 to June 2018, through a very wet winter, so that would make sense.

- The most concerning sound for me also is that momentary (< 1 second) scrape/grinding accompanied by each up-shift. It's coming from the rear lower portion of the car.

Hoping to get more answers after Thursday, but appreciate all of your insights.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Decided to detail the car yesterday and spent around 6-7 hours going through the following stages: clay bar, paint correction, final polish, glaze and sealant. Dressed the interior, engine bay and tires as well. The weather was perfect today so decided to head out and take some photos. Now you can really see the depth and luster of the Pure Metal Silver in the sun.

Last edited by ind_can; 07-15-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Congrats man! She's a beaut!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #21
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

I love this car. Congrats!!

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Hey guys, a few new shots from this past fall after I had the car professionally detailed. They did a full clay bar, single stage polish and ceramic coating. All interior surfaces were conditioned and dressed. I also had them PPF the entire roof. Looking forward to getting it back on the road this summer!

Appreciate 4
quick6750.50
DRKNTM615.50
Flying Ace4984.50
jjasonSU194.00