BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speednlux View Post
Mind telling us what it cost to have the stock rebuild done?

God forbid anyone ever needs one
Shipping varies of course but the engine was 8500 and labor can vary depending on whats going on with your car. Reach out to Mike or Raza at rkautowerks.com just for a chat. They are very easy gong, friendly, professional and a wealth of knowledge. Ya can't have too many friends when it comes to these cars.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
This is stunning progress, two days in and out with a engine rebuild and ready to go!

They work pretty hard to keep stock rebuilt engines on the shelf and ship to shops if you prefer to have someone local do it.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #25
Speednlux
Private
Rep
Drives: F12

Any idea on what the cause of engine failure was ?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #26
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speednlux View Post
Any idea on what the cause of engine failure was ?
nothing came out the bottom end thankfully and rod bearings seem to be a common problem with the s63's. Based on the sounds I heard from the engine compartment when it died I am pretty sure it was a bearing. BMW wanted 6k dollars just to start exploring the bottom end and Raza only wanted 8500 for a stock rebuilt engine. My SA said that engine rebuilds are not a dealership strong suit so I didn't feel very confident about them coming in with a reliable and cost permissive fix.

It will be a couple of weeks before the folks at RKAutowerks gets to tear the engine down. As soon as I hear something I will share it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #27
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
nothing came out the bottom end thankfully and rod bearings seem to be a common problem with the s63's. Based on the sounds I heard from the engine compartment when it died I am pretty sure it was a bearing. BMW wanted 6k dollars just to start exploring the bottom end and Raza only wanted 8500 for a stock rebuilt engine. My SA said that engine rebuilds are not a dealership strong suit so I didn't feel very confident about them coming in with a reliable and cost permissive fix.

It will be a couple of weeks before the folks at RKAutowerks gets to tear the engine down. As soon as I hear something I will share it.

is it $8500 with the core block exchange? Also, since you got the engine swapped at an indy shop, does it show up on any sort of car history report (carfax/True360)?
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #28
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
is it $8500 with the core block exchange? Also, since you got the engine swapped at an indy shop, does it show up on any sort of car history report (carfax/True360)?
I doubt it would should up unless they contribute to the data collectors that carfax and other pull from.

The engine is 8500 and the core deposit is separate. I shipped my care so not 100% sure what the core fees are.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #29
dhm118
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Hey, I had RK do my rebuild 2 years ago and it was $8500 for the motor with a $2500 core deposit. Since I had them install it, I didn't have to worry about the deposit since they already had my motor. They gave me the option to ship it to another shop. The deposit would have been required in that situation and would've been returned when they received my motor back.

I don't believe they report to carfax.

Last edited by dhm118; 06-19-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #30
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

What oil is RK recommending to use , break in and after break in ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #31
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
What oil is RK recommending to use , break in and after break in ? Thanks
I just got home from RKautowerks today with my car. It sounded it fantastic and they took superb care of it.

RK said to stick with 15/50 Mobil 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #32
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
After 1200 miles each way we just got back home with the car. Attached are some picks that Mike took of my car while putting some break-in miles on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #33
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Here is a pic of my car back in the driveway back in Tampa. The folks at RKAutowerks are real, they owners and drivers, they professional, they are friendly, they are always available and they are respectful of your car, time and money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #34
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Here is a pic of my car back in the driveway back in Tampa. The folks at RKAutowerks are real, they owners and drivers, they professional, they are friendly, they are always available and they are respectful of your car, time and money.
Congrats ! Sounds like you had a great experience with RK ! I’m glad everything
worked out for ya ,
I dealt with him once for my Carbon front mount intakes
Raza helped me with any questions I had with installation
Great customer service

Wow , 15W50 never heard of people using that weight before
I heard of people using 5W50 for S63tu
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #35
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Congrats ! Sounds like you had a great experience with RK ! I’m glad everything
worked out for ya ,
I dealt with him once for my Carbon front mount intakes
Raza helped me with any questions I had with installation
Great customer service

Wow , 15W50 never heard of people using that weight before
I heard of people using 5W50 for S63tu
Thank you and I am double checking with Raza to make sure I understood the weight and change intervals. I'll follow up as soon as I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #36
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
confirmed 15w50. With that I live in Southwest Florida and seldomly see freezing temps. I am sure there are hundreds of threads on oil but in short the first number is the winter/cold viscosity the last number is the at running temp viscosity. If you are getting an engine from RK I'd ask him what oil would be best for your region.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      09-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #37
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
3 months and running strong, not one hiccup and no remorse. In fact, nothing but...

Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50