BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chron3k View Post
Jag F type may also be an option (believe it's launching soon, as well).
Yes! I've been looking at pictures!

This is my biggest issue.. cars I want aren't available yet!
I would love the new M3 (err M4) vert, but noooo it's not out yet.... new Jag is pretty sick looking with some fair performance numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Some of us still like simple, even if it's a little crude. Light wins in my book, and I'll sacrifice a little noise for less weight, especially from the top of the car.
Ah but for me, if I'm getting a convertible, the little extra weight for hardtop isn't much of an issue (a LOT of extra is a different story, but weight between Boxster and Z4 isn't much if memory serves me correctly..)

I do love the Boxster, don't get me wrong. I just can't allow myself to pay 30%+ more for a car that comes with less (since, while I do plan to track the car, I do not plan to make it into a 'track car,' just a car to take to the track maybe once a month or every other month; I don't go competing for times, I simply go to just have fun).
I think I should go visit another Porsche dealer and sit down and really negotiate on a Boxster and see what I can get... I really love the way it looks, softtop or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
The new SL is still too heavy?? I've driven it, and although it doesn't handle as well as my 335is, it is an absolute monster and the luxury level is above and beyond any BMW I've been in.

Although, I'm not sure if I would track an SL (unless it was an AMG).

Also, I assume the lease price would be more than a boxster, Z4, M3 and all the above...
I actually haven't driven the new SL AMGs, but I know the previous body were real boats.
Raw power is meaningless to me.. I rarely (i.e. almost never) floor a car on the street. When I had my e93 335i, I was all about getting it more powerful (I think my best dyno was a little over 450wtq), straight line speed etc.
But now, handling and a refined ride are what I want. I've never really felt that from any MB to be honest, AMG or not. The C63 has a monstrous engine, and is way faster than a M3 in a straight line, but it doesn't handle as well (at least from my test drives and experience with the car); transmission is also a flop.
I really to drive the new SLK55 and see though; we used to have a SLK in 2009 (non AMG), and it drove great (not as good as our 09 or 11 Z4, but still good).

If I drop the converitble requirement... SOO many more options open up... but this is a 3rd car, I'm in SoCal about 8 mins from the canyons that lead to PCH/Malibu beach after another 8-10 mins of driving... I don't know if I can not have a convertible in my life after having at least one for the past 5-6 years.

Quote:
Fair enough.. did you test the base or the S? If you're looking at the base, I think you may as well get the Boxster S (most of the car for a lot less money).

Another option may be the RS5 Cabriolet... not a hardtop, though. I believe it just hit the US market. Not sure if the lease deals will be any good on the car, though... being new and all (and compared to BMW, Audi leases tend to be pretty expensive due to residual and MF)...
I drove the base
Yeah, i think a Box S would be a better choice of a base 991.
Though I gotta say, I love the way the 991 looks :P
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
chron3k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 911S Cab

Oh! I forgot to mention. Right now Porsche is doing a lease conquest program, which deflated my monthly since I also lease a Rover Sport. I didn't have to turn it in, but it was good for a $2850 rebate. Not sure if this applies to the Boxster.

I am sure your BMW qualifies--might be something to bring up (they'll rebate you up to 3 months of your remaining lease as long as you have those remaining months, to a max of $1500/month).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh! I forgot to mention. Right now Porsche is doing a lease conquest program, which deflated my monthly since I also lease a Rover Sport. I didn't have to turn it in, but it was good for a $2850 rebate. Not sure if this applies to the Boxster.

I am sure your BMW qualifies--might be something to bring up (they'll rebate you up to 3 months of your remaining lease as long as you have those remaining months, to a max of $1500/month).
When we got our Chrysler van about a year ago, they had a conquest type plan.

I got I think $1k or 1500 towards the car (this was a purchase) since I had the BMW registration.

So they can give you a $2850 rebate, or pay up to 3 months of your remaining payments?

I need to go into Porsche this weekend and sit down and discuss with them. I wish I knew some people there though... I am well connected to BMW dealers and Mercedes since we've been leasing new cars from them for ~15 years... but Porsche would be a first (since my previous ones were used)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

I actually haven't driven the new SL AMGs, but I know the previous body were real boats.
Raw power is meaningless to me.. I rarely (i.e. almost never) floor a car on the street. When I had my e93 335i, I was all about getting it more powerful (I think my best dyno was a little over 450wtq), straight line speed etc.
But now, handling and a refined ride are what I want. I've never really felt that from any MB to be honest, AMG or not. The C63 has a monstrous engine, and is way faster than a M3 in a straight line, but it doesn't handle as well (at least from my test drives and experience with the car); transmission is also a flop.
I really to drive the new SLK55 and see though; we used to have a SLK in 2009 (non AMG), and it drove great (not as good as our 09 or 11 Z4, but still good).

If I drop the converitble requirement... SOO many more options open up... but this is a 3rd car, I'm in SoCal about 8 mins from the canyons that lead to PCH/Malibu beach after another 8-10 mins of driving... I don't know if I can not have a convertible in my life after having at least one for the past 5-6 years.

Does it have to be hardtop then? I LOVE the Boxster S and the new Jaguar F-Type

And I know what you mean about the canyons, I'm up at Kanan, Snake, Piuma etc all the time when home (currently on the east coast for school).

I've only been up there in my 335is... and it handles beautifully (can't imagine how an M3 would do!) The SL550 definitely doesn't handle as well (its still more about luxury than actual performance), but its a looker and is definitely fast.

I would try out the NEW SLK55 AMG, probably more of a performer (unless you want to spend big money on a lease for the SL63/65 or something like a Ferrari convertible)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
chron3k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
When we got our Chrysler van about a year ago, they had a conquest type plan.

I got I think $1k or 1500 towards the car (this was a purchase) since I had the BMW registration.

So they can give you a $2850 rebate, or pay up to 3 months of your remaining payments?

I need to go into Porsche this weekend and sit down and discuss with them. I wish I knew some people there though... I am well connected to BMW dealers and Mercedes since we've been leasing new cars from them for ~15 years... but Porsche would be a first (since my previous ones were used)
They will give you a rebate for up to $4500 (determined by your monthly payment on your current lease for up to 3 months). So if you pay $1K/month and have only 2 months left on your lease, they will give you $2K in rebate.

My RRS lease is $950/month, so my rebate was $2850 (I have much more than 3 months left on it).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Does it have to be hardtop then? I LOVE the Boxster S and the new Jaguar F-Type

And I know what you mean about the canyons, I'm up at Kanan, Snake, Piuma etc all the time when home (currently on the east coast for school).

I've only been up there in my 335is... and it handles beautifully (can't imagine how an M3 would do!) The SL550 definitely doesn't handle as well (its still more about luxury than actual performance), but its a looker and is definitely fast.

I would try out the NEW SLK55 AMG, probably more of a performer (unless you want to spend big money on a lease for the SL63/65 or something like a Ferrari convertible)
SL65 is wayy out of my price range anyways lol

It doesn't have to be a hardtop..but definitely preferred.

From the looks of things though, I may just have to get another Z4 or M3 lol. No SLK55s in stock, and I doubt their leases would favorable...

Main reason I want the Z4 over the M3 is I want a 2 seater roadster, I don't need the 4 seats...

I contacted the dealer I got my E350 Bluetec from and asked him to let me know if they get any SLK55s in so I can drive it.
I remember when I got my E, he almost talked me into getting a SLS lease... lol

I'll also go to Porsche this weekend and sit down and really crunch the deals out on the Boxster and see what incentives there are etc. I wish the new M4 was out!! or at least, the non-M F3X vert

Quote:
They will give you a rebate for up to $4500 (determined by your monthly payment on your current lease for up to 3 months). So if you pay $1K/month and have only 2 months left on your lease, they will give you $2K in rebate.

My RRS lease is $950/month, so my rebate was $2850 (I have much more than 3 months left on it).
Do I have to surrender that lease...? No right?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
chron3k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Inquiring minds want to know... how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know... how'd it go?
Went to Porsche.... the deals they offered me were horrible

A good 30% more expensive than a Z4... for the same MSRP car! (well, not exactly the same, but very similarly priced)

Went to MB, they didn't have a new SLK55... sat and wrote up a deal in case I wanted to order it..... lease was MORE than the lease on an E93 M3!

Since I'm not buying them, and i only plan to keep the car for 2-3 years... I really can't justify paying more for LESS (in my opinion, an E93 M3, even though I've had one, is a marginally better car than a SLK55).

I loved the way the P car drove... more than the Z4 no questions... but it's not 30% better.

10% sure... but not 30% more. I'm a numbers guy, and for a 3rd car, I'm not going to pay 30% more money per month for a car that has less options (P car had no nav) and only drives a little better.

I'm deciding between waiting until the LCI Z4 comes out, or just not getting anything until the new F3X convertible/M4 (whatever they'll call it...) comes out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
tpg22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 CS 135i Convertible

If you are a numbers guy have you looked into resale in 2 years as well? I have not negotiated a price on these cars so it is impossible to know which one drops more. Going from MSRP is inaccurate if one car sells for a lot under MSRP and one doesn't. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #32
chron3k
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's going to be hard to beat a BMW lease at the same MSRP... BMW Financial offers killer MF rates and usually has pretty good residuals (at least to what I've found with Porsche and Audi, don't know about Merc).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpg22 View Post
If you are a numbers guy have you looked into resale in 2 years as well? I have not negotiated a price on these cars so it is impossible to know which one drops more. Going from MSRP is inaccurate if one car sells for a lot under MSRP and one doesn't. Just a thought.
Ah but that is why I lease cars.

So I don't have to worry about their value in 2-3 years, and I can drive them hard without needing to care about the longevity of the car or any extra maintenance. I don't develop emotional attachments to cars, so I simply lease them, drive them hard, return them. You really wouldn't want to buy a car that I had during my lease; I only do the oil changes that the manufacturer recommends and none in-between, even though a car that's been driven (and tracked) as hard as mine should have them more often.

Quote:
It's going to be hard to beat a BMW lease at the same MSRP... BMW Financial offers killer MF rates and usually has pretty good residuals (at least to what I've found with Porsche and Audi, don't know about Merc).

That is very true

But MB was better than BMW when it came to the luxury sedan leases. Hence why I got an e350 bluetech for my comfy DD versus a 528i. More torque and better MPG; less hp though.

I'm thinking I'll just wait for the LCI Z4, or go with the F3X. Porsche is just unreasonable; I rather get an E93 M3 than a Boxster any day..
Appreciate 0