BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

New LCI 640i And Have Some Questions

Good Day Guys!

Purchased this car back in the first of OCT. and i must say i love it. 2016 640i coupe M-sport

not my first time owning a BMW but my first newly bought BMW. used to e28s, and e34 before this one

i have done alot of searching and have really 2 questions that is left unanswered

1. Connected Drive Media:

it seems that you could get spotify to work wireless with the 6 series for full app control via Bluetooth on the idrive system with android. but i dont get the option coming up on my screen. i have the usb audio and updated the software with the latest one yesterday via usb.

any input on how this works? the car come subscribed to most of the subscriptions BMW has to offer until the end of January of 2020. neat to have but dont think i will be re subscribing lol

2. Ability of Tuning:

i may not tune the n55 engine. as i have a turboed e34. but lets say if i wanted to. is it possible to have some one tune the car only in sport mode or sport mode plus and the factory tune on comfort and eco pro mode? being able to switch the tune on and off would be great and the only way i would do a tune. the n54 friends tell me jb4 good but will risk frying my ecu and that i dont want to happen.

i love the exhaust note on sport mode in these things with the sport exhaust. wonder what the m performance one would sound like

thanks in advanced for your input and help

Roge'

Last edited by e38740imd; 10-22-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

1. I think you need to have Apps options for that. Aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto add-on is a nice upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
No, to the remap question. It will affect all modes, although really what the modes do is affect the response time of the throttle pedal, etc. So your remapped car would have more grunt, but still be muted in eco and comfort to somd degree.

Jb4 won't "fry" anything.

Read up on its pros and cons though. If I was going to get a piggyback tune, this would be the only one I'd consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
No, to the remap question. It will affect all modes, although really what the modes do is affect the response time of the throttle pedal, etc. So your remapped car would have more grunt, but still be muted in eco and comfort to somd degree.

Jb4 won't "fry" anything.

Read up on its pros and cons though. If I was going to get a piggyback tune, this would be the only one I'd consider.

thanks. i got what i was looking for the tuning question.

if i tune it would be with the bm3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
1. I think you need to have Apps options for that. Aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto add-on is a nice upgrade.
how do you get the app options?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e38740imd View Post
thanks. i got what i was looking for the tuning question.

if i tune it would be with the bm3
I've heard mhd is better for the n55.

Again do your reading up on it (as I did).

Most important (aside from ensuring you buy the right cable) is to make sure you have a power supply, not a battery charger, connected when you do your first flash, as that can take a while. If the voltage drops during the process, you may have some real issues. You can have another running car connected by jump leads to yours, but it needs a good 40 mins or so for the first flash.

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-23-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
I've heard mhd is better for the n55.

Again do your reading up on it (as I did).

Most important (aside from ensuring you buy the right cable) is to make sure you have a power supply, not a battery charger, connected when you do your first flash, as that can take a while. If the voltage drops during the process, you may have some real issues. You can have another running car connected by jump leads to yours, but it needs a good 40 mins or so for the first flash.
this i do have, i gave a beast of power charger. 60amps to keep the voltage level up.

i have asked several people mostly in the f30 realm and said bm3 was the go to and forget the rest. my brother is getting the mhd for his car. i will looking into that as well

thanks for your help!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
No worries.
Appreciate 1