BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC Comp

Question Question about owning M6 with CCB's

I am on the hunt for a ’14-16 M6 GC Comp for my other daily (have a truck) and long term use. I tend to find one that is fully (or almost fully) optioned out.

My question is, is CCB really worth it? I ask because I understand the main intention of CCB’s is for racing / tracking, which I don’t plan on doing.

However I am curious about daily use and long term ownership? It is my understanding they are expensive to service.

Lastly, I would like to know which key items I should look out for when inspecting / PPI'ing an M6. I know rod bearings is a big one, but what else?

Also I would love to hear experience from owners experience who have owned an M6 for a LONG TIME in regards to maintenance & costs.

Any insight is appreciated.

-DK

PFA
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Hi, I'm also on the lookout for an M6 coupe, about same year vintage, here in the UK. I was going to start a separate thread re: CCBs, but since you're asking about them too, I really hope you don't mind me hopping on the thread?
I've been to look at an M6 optioned out with the CCBs just today. I've been doing some research on these CCBs, so I took a pic of the wear indicators on each disc. The dealership (not BMW dealer) told me they had them checked out, and that they are ok, but these wear marks look like they're starting to show replacement-time-wear to me. I'd love for people to chime in with their thoughts? Also, will be watching this thread with keen interest re: ownership costs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      12-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #3
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Rod bearings are not a big one, you won't find many that have had 'em replaced. More important is regularly serviced at either a dealer or a high end BMW independent shop. Common things to look out for are turbo coolant lines, PCV valves, injectors, spark plugs, etc. I don't have CCB's but as far as I know they are fairly trouble free and you shouldn't have to worry much if you get a car with them. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a PPI either by a dealer or an indy shop.

Go into this platform with a spare $10-15k if something does go wrong, but usually it's a straightforward ownership experience if you get one that's been taken care of. I bought mine 2 years ago with 42k 1 owner clean carfax all service records from the same dealer it's been at since new luckily so the car was very well cared for. It's a weekend car for me so I have only put about 5k miles on it in 2 years but just had the turbo coolant lines done, PCVs were sweating, and the usual other maintenance. It's been reliable and an incredible machine otherwise. Maintenance is not cheap. M tax is real. I see you had a 640i so just keep in mind service and consumables cost quite a bit more but I think it's worth the ownership experience.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 04:28 PM   #4
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivology View Post
I am on the hunt for a ’14-16 M6 GC Comp for my other daily (have a truck) and long term use. I tend to find one that is fully (or almost fully) optioned out.

My question is, is CCB really worth it? I ask because I understand the main intention of CCB’s is for racing / tracking, which I don’t plan on doing.

However I am curious about daily use and long term ownership? It is my understanding they are expensive to service.

Lastly, I would like to know which key items I should look out for when inspecting / PPI'ing an M6. I know rod bearings is a big one, but what else?

Also I would love to hear experience from owners experience who have owned an M6 for a LONG TIME in regards to maintenance & costs.

Any insight is appreciated.

-DK

PFA

It's 16k to replace the rotors. There's also no way to measure how much life is left unless you weigh them. If you plan on keeping it forever I would pass, if just keeping it for a few years I would say go for it. There's many out there, so be patient and get the right one for the right price. As far as PPI I would just make sure it had its break in service and see what items have been done. Tires are prob 1500, brake pads and rotors are pretty costly too. Check turbo lines and injectors also.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
MeesterQ
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Having had my m6 for a while with ccb’s I say go for it.

My ‘14 m6 has just under 34k miles and I absolutely love my brakes. The noise gets some people, but not myself. If you don’t like squeaky brakes that screech to a halt, skip. This is super common when not really pushing the brakes and I usually brake hard from about 80-ish mph down to about 30-ish? Gets rid of the squeak for a couple weeks.

I think if I were to track my car, I’d get rid of the ccb’s. why use up expensive brakes for a small gain when steel rotors and racing brake pads do the same thing for a fraction of the cost?

Ccb’s benefit me as an owner for daily use. I don’t have to change my brakes for another 30k miles give or take a couple thousand miles. The cost is about the same for brakes: either pay periodically for brake changes or all at once for the next 8 years.

YMMV
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 02:12 AM   #6
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterQ View Post
Having had my m6 for a while with ccb’s I say go for it.

My ‘14 m6 has just under 34k miles and I absolutely love my brakes. The noise gets some people, but not myself. If you don’t like squeaky brakes that screech to a halt, skip. This is super common when not really pushing the brakes and I usually brake hard from about 80-ish mph down to about 30-ish? Gets rid of the squeak for a couple weeks.

I think if I were to track my car, I’d get rid of the ccb’s. why use up expensive brakes for a small gain when steel rotors and racing brake pads do the same thing for a fraction of the cost?

Ccb’s benefit me as an owner for daily use. I don’t have to change my brakes for another 30k miles give or take a couple thousand miles. The cost is about the same for brakes: either pay periodically for brake changes or all at once for the next 8 years.

YMMV

I bought an m6 with CCB'S, and immediately returned it. I could justify the 16k+ brake job lol
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #7
Jfurnas
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F06 M

I recently bought a 14 gc with ccb’s and love it. Like you I went back and forth for awhile and did a lot of reading on these forums. From my understanding, if you don’t abuse them, they will last a very long time.
Pros: Increased stopping power and initial bite is great. They look amazing and really fill up the wheel openings. Much lighter than stock and last but not least…almost zero dust!
Cons: They are noisy,especially when cold. They are race brakes and not best suited for the casual cruiser. You will have to care for them by doing a few “aggressive” stops when cold or if they get wet and dry without any aggressive stops. Replacement cost is insane. If anything catastrophic happens I wouldn’t replace them, I would source a different/custom made brake package.

For me, I sold a circle track race car and got the M6 for weekends and nice summer days and the ccb’s only add to joy it brings me. I tested one without and the ccb’s just enhance the experience of the M6. Not quite like being on track, but closer for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 05:30 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I bought mine with ccb’s and I could not be happier. The option to restore the rotors via rebrakeusa.com service makes for an even more compelling reason to buy these cars with CCB’s.

A lot of folks paint their calipers to in the special gold color but very few get to enjoy the authentic low dust and great braking experience.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #9
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep

Thank you all who have chimed in. See my responses below.

-DK

JDMSteven

I appreciate your ownership experience on these M6. I knew maintenance is not cheap, and more expensive with M-series from my 640i. I personally think this is one of the best looking sedans on the road, I wish BMW continued this series. Shame they didn’t. Would’ve been nice if they upgraded the engine / transmission before axing the program.

Question, I hear CCB’s do not do well in the rain - true? Not like we get a lot of rain here in AZ but we do get some and I’d like to drive confidently without having to worry about losing control.

I found an M6 GC which actually had CCB’s hence why I asked. Unfortunately we couldn’t come to a deal for a couple reasons.

danielgmanm6

I appreciate your input on these CCB’s. I knew they were costly, just didn’t realize they run up into $10,000’s easily.

MeesterQ

Appreciate your experience. I don’t mind replacing the brake pads as that is standard with every car. It’s the CCB rotors that can get quite costly.

Same question for you too - is it true that CCB’s do not do well in rain?

Jfurnas

Gotcha. That is my understanding too, if it’s well taken care of - the rotors can last up to 100K miles. Love the fact it has zero brake dust. Just don’t love the costly rotor replacement lol.

TinCanSailor

Thanks for your input. Thanks for the link - that is very interesting, have you had it done by them before? I don’t see where they are located?

-DK
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 12:23 PM   #10
MeesterQ
Rep

Hi there, I live in the Pacific Northwest.
And I drive my car in heavy rain or no rain, the brakes perform flawlessly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 04:21 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you all who have chimed in. See my responses below.

-DK

JDMSteven

I appreciate your ownership experience on these M6. I knew maintenance is not cheap, and more expensive with M-series from my 640i. I personally think this is one of the best looking sedans on the road, I wish BMW continued this series. Shame they didn’t. Would’ve been nice if they upgraded the engine / transmission before axing the program.

Question, I hear CCB’s do not do well in the rain - true? Not like we get a lot of rain here in AZ but we do get some and I’d like to drive confidently without having to worry about losing control.

I found an M6 GC which actually had CCB’s hence why I asked. Unfortunately we couldn’t come to a deal for a couple reasons.

danielgmanm6

I appreciate your input on these CCB’s. I knew they were costly, just didn’t realize they run up into $10,000’s easily.

MeesterQ

Appreciate your experience. I don’t mind replacing the brake pads as that is standard with every car. It’s the CCB rotors that can get quite costly.

Same question for you too - is it true that CCB’s do not do well in rain?

Jfurnas

Gotcha. That is my understanding too, if it’s well taken care of - the rotors can last up to 100K miles. Love the fact it has zero brake dust. Just don’t love the costly rotor replacement lol.

TinCanSailor

Thanks for your input. Thanks for the link - that is very interesting, have you had it done by them before? I don’t see where they are located?

-DK
I had them look at mine and their opinion mine are fine at 102k miles so I have not sent them in yet but I will definitely be keeping the car and CCB's will always be on it so once mine are ready for refurb rebrake will absolutely be getting them. IIRC they are based in Germany. We are in the process of shopping for a car to replace my wife's F10 550 and she has asked that we get a car with CCB's. Her interest is primarily in wheel cleaning, my wheels are clean even 2 or 3 months after washing, but she tells me often how much better my car brakes.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 11:33 PM   #12
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I’ve heard it is one of the downsides (other than costly maintenance/replacement). Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I had them look at mine and their opinion mine are fine at 102k miles so I have not sent them in yet but I will definitely be keeping the car and CCB's will always be on it so once mine are ready for refurb rebrake will absolutely be getting them. IIRC they are based in Germany. We are in the process of shopping for a car to replace my wife's F10 550 and she has asked that we get a car with CCB's. Her interest is primarily in wheel cleaning, my wheels are clean even 2 or 3 months after washing, but she tells me often how much better my car brakes.

Got it, that makes sense. I am curious how much it would cost to get it done by them, including shipping. Have you made it that far with them?

-DK
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #13
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, I’ve heard it is one of the downsides (other than costly maintenance/replacement). Good to know.

Got it, that makes sense. I am curious how much it would cost to get it done by them, including shipping. Have you made it that far with them?

-DK
If I remember correctly it was about 1500 to 2000 per rotor. You could buy the entire kit and possibly sell off the calipers to offset the cost.

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...2317804?c=az0x
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 01:30 PM   #14
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

How does the rain/puddles affect the intakes behind the grill?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:56 PM   #15
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
Mine are mounted like this and I have no issues driving through Florida storms.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:18 AM   #16
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
Hi, I'm also on the lookout for an M6 coupe, about same year vintage, here in the UK. I was going to start a separate thread re: CCBs, but since you're asking about them too, I really hope you don't mind me hopping on the thread?
I've been to look at an M6 optioned out with the CCBs just today. I've been doing some research on these CCBs, so I took a pic of the wear indicators on each disc. The dealership (not BMW dealer) told me they had them checked out, and that they are ok, but these wear marks look like they're starting to show replacement-time-wear to me. I'd love for people to chime in with their thoughts? Also, will be watching this thread with keen interest re: ownership costs.

These are in good shape. Check the technical manual link here from M5Post.

Link: https://f10.m5post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1569727807
Appreciate 1
MoFoHo27.00
      01-06-2024, 08:19 AM   #17
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
Mine are mounted the same. I have no issues.
Appreciate 0