BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #1
IceScraper
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

How do you reduce Carbon Ceramic Brake Squalling?

Hey, I have a brake squalling issue after I've been driving for a bit, I guess after the brakes get up to temperature.

When I come to a stop at certain speeds, it likes to squall/squeak (it's kind of embarrassing). I modulate the brake pedal, and it seems to go away. Then, it comes back after reapplying the same pressure and it doesn't happen every time.

Do you have any recommendations here for these carbon ceramic brakes? I know they're prone to doing this.

Rotors and pads look new and have a tremendous amount of life left on them.

The car has 46,000 miles, I assume there the stock set from new.

Last edited by IceScraper; 01-22-2024 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:26 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
It is a normal and expected result. The best you could do is give the rotors a good heating and brake check from a high speed. This will help clean the friction material a quiet them a bit. I have had some limited success with using dawn detergent and a soft bristle brush and moderate hosing down.

I know the sound is unpleasant but you’ll have great brakes and will rarely have to worry about cleaning brake dust from the wheels.

If you are not a member already in FB consider joining the Carbon Ceramic Brakes group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/2962...ibextid=W9rl1R
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 09:31 AM   #3
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

There's a bedding process that I haven't tried:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=47

I told my wife when she asked about the squeal that she's hearing the sound of race brakes. I have to tell myself that as well when pulling up to stop lights.
Appreciate 1