BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-04-2023, 11:21 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Stupidest reason to go to jail?

That one involved that celebrity couple (can't be bothered to google), one of them was a Desperate Housewife I think, going to jail cuz they pulled some illegal strings to try to get their kids into some supposedly prestigious schools? What is up w that? They are already rich, the kids don't really need that and can (more easily vs other kids) find their own way in life.

Martha Stewart is similarly up there too, trying to avoid getting nailed for a few thousand bucks or 5 figures or whatever, caught in some shady stock thing, and now she has a record and her image is ruined.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I was arrested (juvenile) for stealing a traffic cone and blocking off the main road in our town. I tried to hide behind a telephone pole but po-po was too smart for me. He cuffed me and put me in the cell at the local station, called my parents at 10pm and my dad had some very stern things to say with his belt when we got home.
Appreciate 4
Esteban43733.00
vreihen1615268.00
Buug95917400.50
      12-07-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I was arrested (juvenile) for stealing a traffic cone and blocking off the main road in our town. I tried to hide behind a telephone pole but po-po was too smart for me. He cuffed me and put me in the cell at the local station, called my parents at 10pm and my dad had some very stern things to say with his belt when we got home.
Bwahaha, oh Tommy...what possessed you w that thought?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Insider trading (Martha Stewart) is a big, big deal. Politicians, also, should not be able to make millions off information that they have or can control. Wish they start shipping them off to the big house.

She was imprisoned as an example...though honestly, I think I have more respect for her now than before.

But: to answer your question, getting sent for items that later become legal is a bit stupid (marijuana possession)
nerdogray1301.50
2000cs3502.50
Tommy-G4490.50
antgenn319.00
Buug95917400.50
bosstones1154.00
      12-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #5
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

Career day?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That one involved that celebrity couple (can't be bothered to google), one of them was a Desperate Housewife I think, going to jail cuz they pulled some illegal strings to try to get their kids into some supposedly prestigious schools? What is up w that? They are already rich, the kids don't really need that and can (more easily vs other kids) find their own way in life.
Felicity Huffman from "Desperate Housewives," and Lori Loughlin from "Full House" both went to jail for that. So did Lori's husband, Mossimo Giannulli. None of them did much time. Other people work hard to get into those schools. Damn cheaters.
      12-07-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

If it wasn't for booze and stupidity I wouldn't have had a career. You cannot believe the stupid shit people do that ends them up in jail. I will never say I've seen everything, but I will say not much surprises me.
Appreciate 8
vreihen1615268.00
Esteban43733.00
Llarry15947.50
Tommy-G4490.50
Buug95917400.50
KRS_SN13531.00
      12-07-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I know someone who was arrested for urinating on a Pontiac Aztec.....
Tommy-G4490.50
Jbrown74032643.50
KRS_SN13531.00
3.0L8937.00
      12-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Insider trading (Martha Stewart) is a big, big deal. Politicians, also, should not be able to make millions off information that they have or can control. Wish they start shipping them off to the big house.

She was imprisoned as an example...though honestly, I think I have more respect for her now than before.

But: to answer your question, getting sent for items that later become legal is a bit stupid (marijuana possession)
For sure it is, just saying she wanted to save whatever relatively paltry amount at a huge cost to her in the end. Why do you respect her now?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:47 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Felicity Huffman from "Desperate Housewives," and Lori Loughlin from "Full House" both went to jail for that. So did Lori's husband, Mossimo Giannulli. None of them did much time. Other people work hard to get into those schools. Damn cheaters.
Tx. It's more their record as criminals now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:54 PM   #11
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Martha Stewart is similarly up there too, trying to avoid getting nailed for a few thousand bucks or 5 figures or whatever, caught in some shady stock thing, and now she has a record and her image is ruined.
Actually, Marth Stewart was never convicted of insider trading or any securities violation. Her convictions were due to talking/lying to the FBI (false statements, obstruction by making false statements, and conspiracy because her broker also made false statements the she discussed with him).

And that is always the stupidest reason to go to jail - talking to law enforcement and incriminating yourself.
      12-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Actually, Marth Stewart was never convicted of insider trading or any securities violation. Her convictions were due to talking/lying to the FBI (false statements, obstruction by making false statements, and conspiracy because her broker also made false statements the she discussed with him).

And that is always the stupidest reason to go to jail - talking to law enforcement and incriminating yourself.
Tx for the exact details.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      12-07-2023, 10:53 PM   #13
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tx for the exact details.
She was my neighbor at the time haha.
      12-08-2023, 06:43 AM   #14
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Bwahaha, oh Tommy...what possessed you w that thought?
You said "stupidest reason to go to jail" and that was mine
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 02:56 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
You said "stupidest reason to go to jail" and that was mine
You have a pt.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Why do you respect her now?
She turned a bag of lemons into tasty lemonade. The woman is a force of nature – nothing was ever going to stop her. She hardly broke stride.

As for her conviction, I always saw her as the poster child for the Dot Com meltdown. Someone had to be the face of market crash, and the media elected Stewart. Much ado about almost nothing is what I thought at the time.

Don't forget that if the FBI asks you the direction the sun comes up every morning and you fail to answer 'East', you've (technically) got a problem. Yes, that's an exaggeration, but you DO NOT want to be interviewed by the FBI without your lawyer present.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #17
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
If it wasn't for booze and stupidity I wouldn't have had a career. You cannot believe the stupid shit people do that ends them up in jail. I will never say I've seen everything, but I will say not much surprises me.
Sometimes true, sometimes not so much.

A few of my professional opportunities resulted from hanging out at a bar. You just need to be selective what kind of bars you hang out at.
      12-08-2023, 04:08 PM   #18
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
You know those notes on your DMV correspondence that tells you it is your responsibility to inform the DMV of your address change when you move? Well I didn't. 10 years, three states and 700 miles and three moves later I'm sitting in the back seat of a patrol car on my way to jail for tickets I paid 10 years ago but didn't know I was required to go to a one hour drivers school for people who get three tickets in a year.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4411.50
baron951703.50
      12-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
She turned a bag of lemons into tasty lemonade. The woman is a force of nature – nothing was ever going to stop her. She hardly broke stride.

As for her conviction, I always saw her as the poster child for the Dot Com meltdown. Someone had to be the face of market crash, and the media elected Stewart. Much ado about almost nothing is what I thought at the time.

Don't forget that if the FBI asks you the direction the sun comes up every morning and you fail to answer 'East', you've (technically) got a problem. Yes, that's an exaggeration, but you DO NOT want to be interviewed by the FBI without your lawyer present.
For someone who is supposedly intelligent and has all these resources at her disposal, I was surprised she screwed up so badly just to save a few (for her) peanuts. Good on her for trying to make the best of it but she will never be at her max since she's now a former convict.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #20
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
For someone who is supposedly intelligent and has all these resources at her disposal, I was surprised she screwed up so badly just to save a few (for her) peanuts. Good on her for trying to make the best of it but she will never be at her max since she's now a former convict.
Trust me on this now, the world does not remotely care that Martha Stewart is a former convict.

To gain perspective on the fact, note her string of post-release professional successes. In summary, the people who are her fans and who buy her products (I'm not among them) simply do not care about what today is considered ancient history.

I suspect most are not even aware of Ms. Stewart's two decades ago four-month timeout. And if they were informed of what Ms. Stewart did while she was jailed, her stock with her fans would rise noticeably.

Regard it as you will, this is reality in early 21st century America when it comes to celebrities regularly producing very bigly for their most devoted fans.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:14 PM   #21
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Trust me on this now, the world does not remotely care that Martha Stewart is a former convict.

To gain perspective on the fact, note her string of post-release professional successes. In summary, the people who are her fans and who buy her products (I'm not among them) simply do not care about what today is considered ancient history.

I suspect most are not even aware of Ms. Stewart's two decades ago four-month timeout. And if they were informed of what Ms. Stewart did while she was jailed, her stock with her fans would rise noticeably.

Regard it as you will, this is reality in early 21st century America when it comes to celebrities regularly producing very bigly for their most devoted fans.
not gonna lie, I like to watch her cooking show on Roku to help me fall asleep at night. Highly recommended.
      12-08-2023, 06:01 PM   #22
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
You know those notes on your DMV correspondence that tells you it is your responsibility to inform the DMV of your address change when you move? Well I didn't. 10 years, three states and 700 miles and three moves later I'm sitting in the back seat of a patrol car on my way to jail for tickets I paid 10 years ago but didn't know I was required to go to a one hour drivers school for people who get three tickets in a year.
That’s insane. They arrested you on a misdemeanor - when obviously your former state would not extradite you for that? The NICS hit requires them to confirm intent to extradite to arrest you.

This was not in FL was it? I hear that FL counties hold people like that to collect the $200/day per diem to hold on to people from other jurisdictions. Biggest scam.