BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Wanting to move from an M5 to the M6

I've owned my 2014 M5 for 3.5 years and when I bought it, I recall going back and forth on whether I wanted the M5 or M6. I thought the 6 was aesthetically the nicer or should I say the more aggressive looking of the two. I went on multiple test drives and in the end, it basically came down to passenger capacity. The M6 simply didn't allow for adults to comfortably sit in the rear. In hindsight, I've only had rear passengers less than a handful of times within the 3.5 years of owning my M5.

Fast forward to 2020, I'm itching again for the M6. In fact I'm thinking I want the GC Comp Pack. Actually I know I want a CP vehicle this time around. I pulled the trigger on a stage 1 tune for the M5 but never got around to installing it for other reasons. I also planned on the usual mods like the exhaust, suspension and others but kept holding off for some reason.

My questions for the M6 guys are:

Coupe or Gran Coupe? It seems like I can't find many GC CP while I've seen several Coupe w/CP.

Which one if any looks better with a good set of wheels, suspension etc? I know this is probably personal preference but just wondering if there's any do's or don'ts out there related to modding a GC or Coupe.

What year should I try to stay away from? I wouldn't want anything older than 2016. Should be the same as the M5 so just checking.

I'm 6"4. One of the things I remember about the M6 was the headroom. I had to position the seat down low in an effort to keep my head from touching the ceiling. Is this a visibility concern for taller drivers when driving or parking? Due to the distance of the nose from the driver.

Lastly, should I consider the B6 Alpina? I know it's not an M but the numbers sure to look impressive. Also can you put a tune on the B6? Or does it make sense to do so?

Thanks in advance for your insight. Also don't let the F10 M5 guys know I'm over here inquiring about jumping ship and switching sides
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

If you are coming from an M5 going to the M6GC is the next step for your. the coupe is terrible to put rear passengers in, and the GC is the clear winner for that comparison. if you are going to modify the M6 with a tune, dont get the comp pack, its a waste. yes there are differences in suspension stiffness and steering technically, but having driven both comp and non comp cars(F12 non comp, F13 comp), i prefer the non comp. its more comfortable. and once its tuned it doesnt matter anymore, a non comp and comp tuned car get the same tune file.

for your model year question, anything newer than 16 has the LCI update, but grab something newer than 17, i believe those have apple car play standard with the NBT EVO head unit. other than that there are no real significant model year differences for anything newer than 16.

If you are considering the alpina, it is a very nice car, but in my opinion the M6 is the better car. the actual driving response feels better in the M6 and there are plenty of technical differences in the N63 engine in the B6 vs the S63 engine in the M6.

Go grab a gran coupe, slap a set of catless downpipes on it, get a tune, and you'll be very happy. if you want to go further, go grab the KW HAS suspension kit and a set of wheels and the car looks great. and dont waste your money on any over priced carbon fiber side skirts, lips, or diffusers. the reps are fine, and it hurts less when they get destroyed from driving.
Appreciate 3
MMMM6GC275.00
Blaxwil619.50
jjasonSU194.00
      01-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Coupe or Gran Coupe? It seems like I can't find many GC CP while I've seen several Coupe w/CP.

Are you using the online decoder? The best way to ensure your'e looking at the correct options is with a VIN decoder. The quick way is to look at the tailpipes, CP should have the black finish. Through my observations, CP is much more common in 2016+ cars, regardless of GC or coupe.

I would go with the GC. The GC is so much prettier and well proportioned than the coupe. A comparable coupe however will always be cheaper than the GC. I get so many compliments everywhere I go.

Which one if any looks better with a good set of wheels, suspension etc? I know this is probably personal preference but just wondering if there's any do's or don'ts out there related to modding a GC or Coupe.

My only view on this is, you should try to buy preowned parts when you can. The market for used parts is thin and you'll end up selling at huge losses when you part out.

What year should I try to stay away from? I wouldn't want anything older than 2016. Should be the same as the M5 so just checking.

There's price compression on GCs right now. I would say 2016+ is what you should look for as you get NBT ID5 and LCI. Overall, nothing has changed on the M6 other than options.

I'm 6"4. One of the things I remember about the M6 was the headroom. I had to position the seat down low in an effort to keep my head from touching the ceiling. Is this a visibility concern for taller drivers when driving or parking? Due to the distance of the nose from the driver.

See below. There's an additional 5 inches of body between the front wheel and bumper for the F06 vs the F10. The interior headroom between the F10 and F06 is 0.1 of an inch. What you're observing is the poor ergonomic design of the 6-series. The windshield rake along with the thick dash and large rear view mirrors makes viewing space small. It's basically a low coupe seating position as the car is overall 3 inches shorter than the F10. The F06 also has terrible blind spots, and the metal from the B&O speaker covers reflects sunlight off the dash. It's just terrible ergonomic design, but my god it's beautiful to look at.
In summary, you just have to get used to it, and the driving aids options help. Most M6s are built with surround cameras, side cameras and blind side detection. With surround cameras, it's very easy to park the car.

Lastly, should I consider the B6 Alpina? I know it's not an M but the numbers sure to look impressive. Also can you put a tune on the B6? Or does it make sense to do so?

Thanks in advance for your insight. Also don't let the F10 M5 guys know I'm over here inquiring about jumping ship and switching sides

B6 vs M6 comes down to driving preference. Do you want a GT car that acts and looks like a GT car? Then get a B6. Do you want a GT car that drives like a M car (sharp handling and sounds?) Then you'll want the M6. IMO, I cannot stand the B6 interior and wheels. Check out this video:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...arison-review/
https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/wat...upe/vp-AAmoxNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
thanks! But there is a change needed from the original post regarding NBT updates, in short there were NBT changes in both 2016 and 2017 for the respective MYs.

I also added that in 2013, the full LED headlights were an option. Some cars were fitted with the round halos and others were optioned with the square halos.

2013:
-Launch year, only Coupes and Convertibles in this model year
-CIC idrive

2014:
-Gran Coupe introduced
-Competition Package (575 HP) offered. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975
-First generation NBT

2015:
-NBT updated to ceramic touch controller and larger screen. (March 2014 Production)

2016:
-LCI headlight refresh http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067822 (March 2015 Production)
-Competition Package power bump (600 HP) http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264569
-Competition Edition Coupe introduced for MY2016 http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173192

2017:
-NBT Version 5 interface update- wireless charging, wi-fi hotspot and enhanced USB/Bluetooth (March 2016 production)

2018:
-NBT Version 6- non-touchscreen (March 2017 Production)
-Only Gran Coupe and Convertible models offered
-6MT no longer configurable with ZCP

2019:
-final model year
-Only Gran Coupe offered

Across all model years, the steering wheel has remained the same (2013 M5s had the old steering wheel). Really, the only updates thus far in this generation has been and likely remain:

1. headlights
2. idrive
3. ZCP

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-03-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

The M6 GC will give you the impression it's a much larger and wider car.

The M6 GC is NOT on a 7-series frame. The 7-series frames are on a 126 inch or so wheelbase, so it's not even close. In fact, the M6 GC and M5 have the EXACT same wheelbase length. EXACT meaning, literally down the same fractions of an inch.

What the M6 GC and M5 does deviate from a measurement standpoint are:
1. M6 GC body length is about 4 inches longer (all of which attributed to the front bumper design), and ONLY 0.5 inch wider on the body.
2. M6 GC body height is 4 inches shorter than the M5
3. M6 GC track and body width are 0.1 and 0.5 inches (respectively) wider than the M5
4. M5 passenger compartment is 2 inches wider than the M6 GC (M5 can legitimately seat someone in the rear center bench.)
5. M5 rear passenger headroom is marginally higher than the M6 GC (the rear is 1 inch taller in the M5, front headroom are the same)
6. M5 weighs about 10 lbs lighter than the M6 GC
7. Finally, if you're talking about the M6 coupe, it's a smaller car. The wheelbase is 4 inches shorter than the M5/6GC and slightly shorter in height.

http://www.bmwpower.ge/pages/technic.../f10-m5-sedan/

01-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback and comments. I'll be out this weekend on the prowl for a GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
As mentioned above...look for an M6 GC that has the surround view cameras...they will definitely help when parking...and also the front side view cameras help with the long hood when needing to peer out/look for traffic when you're blinded by large vehicles on your left/right that block oncoming traffic from view.

I also highly recommend plucking down the cash for the Euro wide angled mirrors. Even when your side mirrors are adjusted properly...the wide angle mirrors provide a view of 45° vs the plain glass mirror's 17° view.

You can see in the pics below that you can see more parking space lines and things in the back ground with the wide angle mirrors vs the oe driver's side plain mirror and oe passenger side convex mirror:

{driver's side oe 1:1 ratio plain mirror vs wide angle mirror}

{passenger's side oe convex mirror vs wide angle mirror}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
As mentioned above...look for an M6 GC that has the surround view cameras...they will definitely help when parking...and also the front side view cameras help with the long hood when needing to peer out/look for traffic when you're blinded by large vehicles on your left/right that block oncoming traffic from view.

I also highly recommend plucking down the cash for the Euro wide angled mirrors. Even when your side mirrors are adjusted properly...the wide angle mirrors provide a view of 45° vs the plain glass mirror's 17° view.

You can see in the pics below that you can see more parking space lines and things in the back ground with the wide angle mirrors vs the oe driver's side plain mirror and oe passenger side convex mirror:

{driver's side oe 1:1 ratio plain mirror vs wide angle mirror}

[img]https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1575855904[/img]

{passenger's side oe convex mirror vs wide angle mirror}

That's crazy QSilver. Will definitely keep the mirror issue in mind. How much are we talking for two mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
That's crazy QSilver. Will definitely keep the mirror issue in mind. How much are we talking for two mirrors?
I found a seller on eBay...they came from Berlin Germany and cost $130 (for the set). I had initially found someone from Latvia and had paid for them....but then got an email and pic where they informed me that one of the mirrors got damaged (dropped) when they were packing them...so they were letting me know that they were returning my payment and cancelling the sale. That's when I went back on line and found the seller from Berlin...which was only a few dollars more.

I do recommend going to one of the online part database sites (like realoem.com) and inputting data that would be like your car except select the EURO market...then go to the diagram and select the mirror/part number that is configured like your car is optioned. That way you'll know your buying the correct mirrors unless it doesn't matter if they aren't heated or don't have the auto dimming feature (which makes them a lot less expensive).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0