BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-19-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
teaktoc
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i Convertible

Garage List
Question Interior Convertible Switch Works Randomly

I picked-up my 2017 640i CV December 26, 2016. The Dealership had opened the top with the key fob and this seemed to interfere with the interior switch. The next morning, it was beautiful out so pressed the switch in the interior and it worked fine; at least putting the top down. Later I pressed the same switch after driving about 12 miles and the switch simply resulted in nothing: no warnings, no sounds and no movement. I had to turn-off the vehicle, get out and use the key fob. As an aside; my previous 2015 428i CV functioned 100% of the time and I am highly familiar with the operation of the tops. This switch in my 2017 640i only works about 1 in 10 of the attempts to use it.

Last week, when the license plates were ready and the BMW genius looked at my comments about this, the genius proceeded to test every possible method and physical configuration of the vehicle and settings and could not make the interior switch work. "Not working as designed" was the statement from the genius. I was, oddly, able to open and close the top with the switch the next day but not since. This is terrible when the weather changes and the top has to be closed but the switch is not functional and embarrassing when there are passengers witnessing the failure.

This week, the vehicle was dropped-off for service where I purchased the vehicle. I let them know about the random operation and experience with the genius. When the vehicle was returned, the statement indicated that no work was done they could not reproduce the error. Aside from the ineptitude presented by the technician's failure to contact me regarding my experience or the genius, what can I do? I am planing to take it to another dealership's service center where they may at least contact me or consider investigating beyond what the computer codes tell them. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Picked up my '17 640 ix Vert 12/31
Flawless.
You need a better service Dept.
Appreciate 0