BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Solli
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

Sport seat active headrest mod

Decided to mod my sport seat active headrest in my Gran Coupe, to be positioned more forward. So now i can rest my head comfortably on long trips, as they were intended to do💁🏼*♂️ Had them positioned all the way forward first, but it looked kinda silly, so i put some screws inside it to stop it halfway. Might still look kinda silly, but i’m pleased. What do you think? Doing the passenger seat next, might post pictures if anybody is interested?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I've always thought that is not "as they were intended to do". I've never owned a car that I could comfortably rest my head there, but maybe I just have bad posture. I thought they were mostly for whiplash protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solli View Post
Decided to mod my sport seat active headrest in my Gran Coupe, to be positioned more forward. So now i can rest my head comfortably on long trips, as they were intended to do💁🏼*♂️ Had them positioned all the way forward first, but it looked kinda silly, so i put some screws inside it to stop it halfway. Might still look kinda silly, but i'm pleased. What do you think? Doing the passenger seat next, might post pictures if anybody is interested?
Yeah it's such a weird design. I've owned 20+ vehicles and this is the only car that doesn't seem to want to let you rest your head there. It's seems bmw wanted them only to prevent whiplash.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:21 AM   #4
Mck444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

I've seen seats like this in 6's on the forums before but never in real life. I know this is a mod but was the real thing a later option or something? Every 6 I've seen in NA has had the standard seats so every time I see the ones like this I wonder how they got them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck444 View Post
I've seen seats like this in 6's on the forums before but never in real life. ... Every 6 I've seen in NA has had the standard seats so every time I see the ones like this I wonder how they got them.
Ditto...it's rare to see these seats if you're in North America. The US market didn't get the sport seat option...we actually got the 20-way multi-contour seats (or is it 22-ways?).

Design wise...I always thought it was strange that the grand coupes rear headrest were totally different from the front seats...until I actually saw the f06's front sport seats. The f12/f13 models that got the multi-contour front seats...have matching headrests in the rear (they are rectangular).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
K737.50
      10-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ditto...it's rare to see these seats if you're in North America. The US market didn't get the sport seat option...we actually got the 20-way multi-contour seats (or is it 22-ways?).

Design wise...I always thought it was strange that the grand coupes rear headrest were totally different from the front seats...until I actually saw the f06's front sport seats. The f12/f13 models that got the multi-contour front seats...have matching headrests in the rear (they are rectangular).
Are the sports seats better than the seats we have? Their shape resembles more of an m3/4 seat that the M6 seat which looks more like ours.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are the sports seats better than the seats we have? Their shape resembles more of an m3/4 seat that the M6 seat which looks more like ours.
I would say no...they are not "better"...just a different designed headrest & probably a bit more side bolster padding...and I believe they are capable of most (if not all) the "movements" that the multi-contour seats have. But I don't know if they have the extra options like the 2-way upper articulating back movement Ands omeone from the Euro market will have to chime in to educate us if the extra options like "active" seat and ventilation were available on the sport seats.

And like other BMW seats that have a similar design where the headrests don't appear to have a horizontal adjustment...they can be uncomfortable for some depending on their torso length, neck length, and where the upper part of their spine curves. If the seat does have the upper articulating back feature...if you move that part of the seat forward...it can move the headrest forward as well...which is what the OP of this thread seems to be trying to make compensation for.

Looking at the images below (from my pic stash) it doesn't look like the upper back articulates like the multi-contour seats...but it could just not be visible in the images:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-26-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      10-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #8
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would say no...they are not "better"...just a different designed headrest & probably a bit more side bolster padding...and I believe they are capable of most (if not all) the "movements" that the multi-contour seats have. But I don't know if they have the extra options like the 2-way upper articulating back movement Ands omeone from the Euro market will have to chime in to educate us if the extra options like "active" seat and ventilation were available on the sport seats.

And like other BMW seats that have a similar design where the headrests don't appear to have a horizontal adjustment...they can be uncomfortable for some depending on their torso length, neck length, and where the upper part of their spine curves. If the seat does have the upper articulating back feature...if you move that part of the seat forward...it can move the headrest forward as well...which is what the OP of this thread seems to be trying to make compensation for.

Looking at the images below (from my pic stash) it doesn't look like the upper back articulates like the multi-contour seats...but it could just not be visible in the images:

I'm not sure if you've experienced this on your 6, but I feel like the seats on mine are a little bit too stiff. For a luxury/gt type of car the seats just feel like they don't have enough padding. I wonder if these sports seats shown above are more comfortable as the standard ones we have somewhat feel like sitting on a wooden chair.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if you've experienced this on your 6, but I feel like the seats on mine are a little bit too stiff. For a luxury/gt type of car the seats just feel like they don't have enough padding. I wonder if these sports seats shown above are more comfortable as the standard ones we have somewhat feel like sitting on a wooden chair.
Do you have ventilated seats? Some owners with the ventilated seats feel that they are a bit less comfortable. The non-ventilated seats are a bit more "comfortable" in that the seat padding is softer due to not having the fans embedded in the lower & upper seat cushions....which need stiffer padding to protect the 8-9 fans & allow them to circulate air through the seat.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-31-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:11 AM   #10
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you have ventilated seats? Some owners with the ventilated seats feel that they are a bit less comfortable. The non-ventilated seats are a bit more "comforting" in that the seat padding is a bit thicker due to not having the fans embedded in the lower & upper seat cushions.
Yes, I have the ventilated seats. I don't have the active seat option but I don't think I'm missing out on the weird groping feeling. The rear seats are a little stiff as well. Stiffer than on my old F10 and definitely stiffer than the ones on my G11. Not sure why the 6 didn't just have seats like the 5, I feel like they're way more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:40 AM   #11
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

I was gonna ask the same question how I have never seen these seats before in North America, but you answered it. I think the regular comfort seats here in NA is pretty ugly and don't fit the sportiness of the 6 series. Looks like old man seats ahahah
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #12
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

Yeah I can advocate that the standard comfort seats in my dad's F10 (without ventilation, base) are WAY more comfortable than the ones (I have ventilated, comfort) in our 6. I have owned this car for over a year, and I still cannot set an ideal seating position. The headrest especially.

BMW's new seats in the G-series cars are way more comfortable and actually have a functional headrest lol.

By the way, who has these sport seats in North America? I thought they were only sold in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
By the way, who has these sport seats in North America? I thought they were only sold in Europe?
Any one I've seen post about them have always been outside the US market.

Appreciate 0