BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Welp first thing that has caught my attention in almost 1.5 years of ownership. Since working from home due to COVID, barely drive anywhere - hopped in today and immediately heard a mild hissing sound from AC... not loud but with no radio I could hear it.

Air was very slightly cool, no where near cold. And after a few start stops, same thing. Seemed as though I could hear the pressure change once engaging the AC button but only a slight cooling of air.

I have no clue if this is recent, because I have been home for 3 months and haven't had a need to use AC due to weather.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Hoping it's a simple recharge - there are zero leaks in the garage floor. I will mention I hadn't driven it in almost 2 weeks, not sure of the systems sleeping that long would effect anything, however.

Appreciate the feedback as always...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

What year and how many miles?

Best case scenario a drain and fill would solve it, with these cars it's not a simple "recharge" anymore. So that'll probably be around $250-$300 for that. They'll put in a dye and search for leaks after that.

Long story short, I had a lot of A/C issues last year on a 2015 with only 29k miles on it. They ended up replacing my evaporator and cost nearly $4k and BMW USA covered 80 percent of it. Fast forward to a couple months ago, my A/C wasn't blowing cold AGAIN. Took it back and they replaced an expansion valve under warranty.

Hopefully yours is a simple fix!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post

Best case scenario a drain and fill would solve it, with these cars it's not a simple "recharge" anymore. So that'll probably be around $250-$300 for that. They'll put in a dye and search for leaks after that.

Long story short, I had a lot of A/C issues last year on a 2015 with only 29k miles on it. They ended up replacing my evaporator and cost nearly $4k and BMW USA covered 80 percent of it. Fast forward to a couple months ago, my A/C wasn't blowing cold AGAIN. Took it back and they replaced an expansion valve under warranty.

Hopefully yours is a simple fix!
Yikes. Its a 2014 with 33k. Frustrating thing is I cant even recall if I have used it this year - I would guess yes since it was set to that when car was on, so if so all within the last 10 days after not driving... was yours making a noise?

Update - read to check rear seat air - feels much colder on pass side only...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

In my vert i never used the AC, just used it the other day and it was hot, i havent looked into it yet, but ive seen on a few 6s that the AC needs to be recharged every 2 years supposedly. The biggest system i hate in cars is AC, its always an after thought
      06-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
NytWolf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10, 2015 F30, 2008 E60

It's an air conditioning system, not a cold air system. What the heck does that mean? The air conditioning system not only cools the air, it pulls moisture out of the air. That's why you run the air conditioning system even in cold weather to keep your windows from fogging up.

If you talk to air conditioning system technicians, you will quickly find out you're supposed to run the system at least 30 minutes total per month to keep it lubricated regardless of temperature. If you don't drive the car very much, just run the system when you periodically start the car for lube purposes.

A properly operating air conditioning system does not need recharging every two years. It is a sealed system. If there are no leaks, there is nowhere for the gas to go. The oil, on the other hand, can be consumed via friction.

In OP's case, I'd be inclined to think there is blockage, most likely at the orifice tube from OP's noise description.
Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC496.00
JDMSteven463.00
      06-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just an FYI since you mentioned you haven't driven the car a lot in the last 3 months...plus if its been like it is here in the Great Lakes region...there haven't been that many HOT days...so make sure that you don't have the stratified air dial (the one in the middle of the dash's center vent) turned to the red area.

Just bringing it up because many times...people forget when the seasons change that this little dial can affect the temperature of the air blown from the dash vents regardless of how you have the temp set on the IHKA control panel. If you have the temp set at 70° F and the ambient temp is 80°F...and you have the stratified air dial turned into the red area...warmed air is going to blow from the dash and the system will compensate by sending cooler air to the floor or defrost vents if you have the system set on AUTO. But what you're going to feel more prevently is the warned air blowing from the dash vents.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-04-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
DRKNTM615.50
JDMSteven463.00
      06-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just an FYI since you mentioned you haven't driven the car a lot in the last 3 months...plus if its been like it is here in the Great Lakes region...there haven't been that many HOT days...so make sure that you don't have the stratified air dial (the one in the middle of the dash's center vent) turned to the red area.

Just bringing it up because many times...people forget when the seasons change that this little dial can affect the temperature of the air blown from the dash vents regardless of how you have the temp set on the IHKA control panel. If you have the temp set at 70° F and the ambient temp is 80°F...and you have the stratified air dial turned into the red area...warmed air is going to blow from the dash and the system will compensate by sending cooler air to the floor or defrost vents if you have the system set on AUTO. But what you're going to feel more prevently is the warned air blowing from the dash vents.
Oh im aware of that issue, don't you worry! I played around with it for what felt like hours and will drive it again today.

My indy is 2 miles from the house and while i was angry driving around popped in and he was still there at 9pm. Said he wants to recharge next tues but since the back was throwing out some cold air it may be just a recharge ... this was a cali car so no question the AC was used very frequently.

And yes, in 3 months i may put 300 miles on it, max
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
sir harmony
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

A/C systems are sealed units. No recharge is ever necessary. If however it's not cooling properly, something somewhere in the system is malfunctioning or there is a leak in the system. If someone recommends a recharge, expect the issue to resurface later (could be hours, days, months, depending on the severity of the issue), as a recharge without a repair is only a temporary.
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      06-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir harmony View Post
A/C systems are sealed units. No recharge is ever necessary. If however it's not cooling properly, something somewhere in the system is malfunctioning or there is a leak in the system. If someone recommends a recharge, expect the issue to resurface later (could be hours, days, months, depending on the severity of the issue), as a recharge without a repair is only a temporary.
I agree with this also - however as you can see by this thread - there is a different answer in each post - so i prefer a small leak or something as opposed to an evaporator, condensor, or something very expensive.

i debated daily for about 3 months to get a warranty since this was private party - and decided to pass. i cant say i have regrets (yet) since I have had it for 16 months and i was considering a 2 year warranty. If i am able to avoid anything major here, i will consider this is a win - but subecjt to change quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
sir harmony
Rep

Quote:

Best case scenario a drain and fill would solve it...
Absolutely not! What sense does it make to drain and refill refrigerant? It's not engine oil that gets dirty. If you have it drained but refilled with a 'sealing' agent, then that's a different story. I wouldn't advice anyone to refill with a sealing agent, but it makes sense and might work (drain and refill scenario).

Quote:
with these cars it's not a simple "recharge" anymore.
This I agree with. But that's universal across all manufacturer lines and has been that way for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
i havent looked into it yet, but ive seen on a few 6s that the AC needs to be recharged every 2 years supposedly.
I would love to see where you got that info. I'm genuinely interested to see the explanation and science behind that. I'm not disagreeing with you as there is potential to learn something. Maybe this is something new.

Guys, unless there is some environmentally friendly chemical in refrigerants, it is not supposed to decrease over time. A/C systems are sealed because refrigerants (R-12 and R134 for cars) damage the ozone. Recharging over time as some of you mention suggests that the system is venting into the atmosphere. No system is designed that way. You might get away with recharging every time the temperature vent gets warm, but the underlying root of the problem will persist.
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      06-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely not! What sense does it make to drain and refill refrigerant? It's not engine oil that gets dirty. If you have it drained but refilled with a 'sealing' agent, then that's a different story. I wouldn't advice anyone to refill with a sealing agent, but it makes sense and might work (drain and refill scenario).

This I agree with. But that's universal across all manufacturer lines and has been that way for decades.

I would love to see where you got that info. I'm genuinely interested to see the explanation and science behind that. I'm not disagreeing with you as there is potential to learn something. Maybe this is something new.

Guys, unless there is some environmentally friendly chemical in refrigerants, it is not supposed to decrease over time. A/C systems are sealed because refrigerants (R-12 and R134 for cars) damage the ozone. Recharging over time as some of you mention suggests that the system is venting into the atmosphere. No system is designed that way. You might get away with recharging every time the temperature vent gets warm, but the underlying root of the problem will persist.
Local service center to me has claimed that many vehicles come in for a "recharge" and they recommend a yearly checkup with a recharge every 1-2 years. Take that how you will, could be a tactic to draw customers in for service. I for one am not a fan of the stealership, but also don't know alot about AC systems in general. you could ask me a ton of questions about the cars oiling system, and id go into it for days because im interested by that, but for AC i never dove into it.

I dont have any hard numbers on the service of the AC in 6ers, just that local 6ers to me and a few friends that work at dealerships tell me. I dont think that im picking on a few cars that are poorly maintained either.

Could you go into more detail to actually educate us on the system in the 6? I feel like its a topic that is not really talked about often and gets pushed aside. Not having nice working AC is not cool. pardon the pun!
      06-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Uh, did you read any of my post? Have you had A/C issues in your F06 M6? Are you a certified BMW mechanic?

If not, then beat it.

OP, I'd recommend taking it to a BMW dealer as you'll have better luck with BMW USA covering some of the repair if it turns out to be a bigger issue than a leak. I called independent shops when I was having an issue and that was their recommendation. And as stated in my original post, they ended up covering 80% of the total cost.
      06-05-2020, 02:25 AM   #13
sir harmony
Rep

Quote:
Uh, did you read any of my post? Have you had A/C issues in your F06 M6? Are you a certified BMW mechanic?

If not, then beat it.
You mean the part where you say "Best case scenario a drain and fill would solve it"? Is that not the portion I quoted? Am I missing something? Not sure why your panties are in a twist. If you don't like people pointing out your ridiculous statements and/or suggestions, then try wearing boxers.

Beat it? Really? Okay. The forum's yours buddy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:15 AM   #14
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If not, then beat it.
You mean the part where you say "Best case scenario a drain and fill would solve it"? Is that not the portion I quoted? Am I missing something? Not sure why your panties are in a twist. If you don't like people pointing out your ridiculous statements and/or suggestions, then try wearing boxers.

So we are assuming a recharge is a temp fix only? I suppose I am hoping for just a leak otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep

Quote:

Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. Again, have you had A/C issues in your F06 M6? Are you a certified BMW mechanic?

What you have stated is some basic A/C knowledge that a 1 minute YouTube video can teach you and doesn’t help the OP.

What I stated is EXACTLY what happened when my A/C stopped blowing cold in a car that is similar to the OP and actually provides insight into a real experience. They drain it, measure it, refill it, look for leaks. What are you not understanding about that?

Please call some BMW dealerships and independent dealers and ask what they are going to do when your A/C isn’t blowing cold in the M6.

So yeah, beat it Autozone.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

I actually just experienced this problem last week. Of course it was the first really hot day in NYC and I went to go pick up a girl for a coffee date and had no AC! I was mad.

I go to turn on the AC and it's making a loud hissing sound with little to no cool air coming out.

I brought it to my guy and he drained it, recharged and refilled with Freon and it started working perfectly fine. I paid $100 for that.

I brought it to the dealer yesteday for 3rd brake light recall and wheel alignment and my SA told me he woulda done it under warranty for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #17
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Condensor....known issue....bad design...leaks
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      06-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #18
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
I actually just experienced this problem last week. Of course it was the first really hot day in NYC and I went to go pick up a girl for a coffee date and had no AC! I was mad.

I go to turn on the AC and it's making a loud hissing sound with little to no cool air coming out.

I brought it to my guy and he drained it, recharged and refilled with Freon and it started working perfectly fine. I paid $100 for that.

I brought it to the dealer yesteday for 3rd brake light recall and wheel alignment and my SA told me he woulda done it under warranty for me lol.
A little positive news, ill take it!
Appreciate 1
MetZF8263.50
      06-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

so an update - dropped this off am, it was drained, tested, and refilled - all set - cost me $150.

my local indy only works on bmw and porsche and seemed to have no concerns, he said typical full is 1.6, i was at .3 - and he looked for leaks with multiple tests, and nothing popped up.

so for me at least, it was a recharge. I will say - the air was never warm even on hot days, just mildly cool. and the rear pass vent was much cooler - so there was hope at least that there was something smaller than an evap or condensor.

ill monitor and update if anything else changes - thanks for the feedback. and no, there is no more hissing sound!
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
so an update - dropped this off am, it was drained, tested, and refilled - all set - cost me $150.

my local indy only works on bmw and porsche and seemed to have no concerns, he said typical full is 1.6, i was at .3 - and he looked for leaks with multiple tests, and nothing popped up.

so for me at least, it was a recharge. I will say - the air was never warm even on hot days, just not mildly cool. and the rear pass vent was much cooler - so there was hope at least that there was something smaller than an evap or condensor.

ill monitor and update if anything else changes - thanks for the feedback. and no, there is no more hissing sound!
Thanks for the update Mike, i will go do the same, mine doesnt hiss, but it only blows hot air. I will post up here to once i check it out!
      06-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

AC recovered

So i took my car in today and they checked her out. Car has no leaks. They said mist likely it leaks through the Schrader valves the ac machine hooks onto. So they recovered 0.26 lbs of refrigerant. They put in 1.60 lbs and now i have perfectly cool AC.
      06-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #22
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
So i took my car in today and they checked her out. Car has no leaks. They said mist likely it leaks through the Schrader valves the ac machine hooks onto. So they recovered 0.26 lbs of refrigerant. They put in 1.60 lbs and now i have perfectly cool AC.
And some more good news - thats great.
Appreciate 0