BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Who has removed the weird charcoal air filters?

I'm not sure about 640s, but 650s have pleated charcoal filters that piggyback on top of the regular engine air filters. They are part of the big housing and are oddly not replaceable. I know that removing them is common, but I wondered how many of you have removed them and if you actually noticed any difference. I'm not a big believer in the benefits of intake improvements, but those filters, once dusty, seem a bit like putting a rag over the air filters.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
sananvet
Mindys6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 F06

I snapped them out when i replaced the airboxes last year. No idea if it improved performance, logic says it would, but probably not even measurable.

I have messed with these intakes now for about a year and a half trying to improve the factory set up. Lots online about different approaches to same problem. Ultimately for me its just more convenient to remove the airboxes entirely to provide better access to spark plugs, coils etc and so worth the hassle despite negligible gains.
Appreciate 0