BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2016 650ix GC

Murmur of the wind from left doors

Love my car, driving is so satisfying and effortless.. but when driving faster or when weather is windy, I hear very irritating noise like murmur of the wind from driver's doors. Initially I thought the issue is with the door seal, because I hear it from above - but after replacement it hasn't disappeared. Do you have any idea what could it be? Is it possible that window doesn't go to the top and there's a small chink between window and seal?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
pcgold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive GC

I've got the same thing on the right side. I think the window needs to be adjusted. I've noticed the soft close operation doesn't put the window up as far as the other three. It will require taking off the door panel to do that.
Smarter people may chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

This is what I thought of at first, but my mechanic told me there's no special mechanism to adjust the window, however there's a procedure to re-adapt using the buttons to open/close a window. Anyway, I think this murmur may be the result of bad seal of frameless window - OEM 51 76 7 275 303 (https://www.bmwstore.pl/pl/katalog/d...eling-dachowy/ ) - I'm thinking of replacing this seal or using some sort of a glue to fill the gaps... I tried to mount it with new buckles but it didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

For good measure...check to see if all 4 of your rubber jack-pads are still in place. Missing jack pads have been known for being the culprit of wind noise in the past.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
For good measure...check to see if all 4 of your rubber jack-pads are still in place. Missing jack pads have been known for being the culprit of wind noise in the past.

Thank you for that, I'll definitely check this soon. However, today when "diagnosing" this wind noise issue I saw the left window lies a bit different than on the other side. I see it mainly when doors are open and window is lowered - it looks like a glass almost hooks on a frame, so maybe it's an issue with a windshield guide? Here's a picture -
View post on imgur.com

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

That picture makes it look weird, but you didn't post a picture of what the other side looks like so I can't tell of it's off or not. But the more important thing is whether it sits correctly when you have the window up and the door closed. If it were me, I would do two things - because you are right to compare that door to your other door. First, I would very carefully visually compare one side to the other other in terms of exactly how the window sits. Is the gap the same all around on both doors? If yes, does the noisy door glass tip out at the top so it does not contact the seal the same way? Second, I would physically test the contact with the seal. Take a sheet of ordinary copy paper - not thick paper like you would send an official letter on - just ordinary thin copy paper. Cut it into strips maybe an inch and half wide. The idea is to close the door with the strip pinched between the glass and the seal. Then try to pull the strip out. Do this all the way around the window. Then test the other door. Are there places where the paper pulls out easily? Places where it is not pinched at all? Are both doors the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #7
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Thanks for the instructions, I'm going to try with paper, previously tried with a tape but it didn't work as expected. I'm bringing some new photos to compare left and right side. I definitely see the difference.

1) Right window with nice gap to put a fingertip.

2) Left window with noisy issue. I'm unable to put a fingertip in a gap. It's logical that lack of a gap here makes a gap somewhere else and it can cause an issue with seal (?).

3) Right window slightly open. The gap is the same along its entire length.

4) Left window slightly open. The window almost touches the black frame.

Last edited by JeremyPL; 04-07-2022 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

If the windows sits back that far at the rear, then it must also sit back too far at the front. Sometimes bolts inside can come undone, but my guess is that this car had a window replaced, or some other reason the window assembly was removed, and the work was not done carefully and the whole assembly needs to be loosened and correctly positioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Do you think it may be corrected or I will have to buy some new parts?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:33 PM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPL View Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Do you think it may be corrected or I will have to buy some new parts?
All cars have some play/adjustment in how the window regulator mounts and/or how the window glass mounts to the regulator. The regulator is the whole assembly that includes the motor and the raising/lowering mechanism. I've removed/installed regulators in various cars, but I confess I've never had a reason to do it on this car. So I can't give you any exact pointers. I doubt you need any parts, but it's possible that some part of the regulator has failed. The important thing at this point is to take it to someone good. You don't want a mechanic whose whole life is replacing an old part with a new part with wrenches. You need somebody who can look at an issue like this and figure out what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #11
buzzing
Registered
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Same wind noise problem with my newly purchased F13 but my windows sit very well and straight compared to OPs pictures. Any other ways to tackle this issue? Saw window adjustment hole on the bottom of the door but maybe some lube will work? It's shame this car is so much louder than my previous E92 with frameless windows also
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #12
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzing View Post
Same wind noise problem with my newly purchased F13 but my windows sit very well and straight compared to OPs pictures. Any other ways to tackle this issue? Saw window adjustment hole on the bottom of the door but maybe some lube will work? It's shame this car is so much louder than my previous E92 with frameless windows also
I would start with the paper test I described above. Wind noise can be from two basic things - air actually entering the car because of a poor seal, and turbulence from the air passing over the A pillar that can heard through the glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
pcgold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive GC

just had mine fixed at my indy. When closing the front passenger door, window so out of alignment that it was resting against the B pillar. I was worried someone would close the door hard and smash the window. Indy said it looked as if someone had been in there before and did a crappy job of fixing it. Maybe the old window was replaced. dunno
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #14
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

I also fixed my window, but it didn't help. Eventually I saw that there is some "chink" between seal and the window. I can literally put my finger there when the doors are closed. I was advised to go to tinsmith for door regulation. Hope it'll help.
Appreciate 0