BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Rock Chips... Anyone can recommend a great PPF / Detailer in the NYC Area?

Rock Chips. Hate em.

My car is Black Sapphire Metallic and Rock Chip damage sticks out like a sore thumb. Nothing too crazy to notice from a distance, but noticeble when up close.

I was quoted $1100 for Full detail / paint correction with full car PPF. They would also 7se touch up paint for the rock chip damage before applying the PPF. I'm a bit skeptical not so much at the price, but our cars are finicky and require a skilled installer that knows what to watch out for when installing PPF on vehicles equipped with parking sensors, cameras, etc.

I was wondering if a one in the NYC area can recommend an installer or good detailer that can address the rock chips and apply the ppf correctly?

I plan on keeping the car, so summer time is perfect to address these issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

my 650 is Sapphire Black as well and when clean its absolutely stunning ! however its the ban of my existence keeping it this way. I spent a small fortune when i first got it 4 years ago having it paint corrected and ceramic coated which was worth it for sure. I also had the front rear bumpers removed and resprayed for good measure as they had marks and chips in them from the previous owner who wasn't as careful as I am.... I then had the front bumper PPFed and its held up very well. I put a ceramic coat top up over the whole car usually once a year and it keeps it perfect! ( I thkn this 7 year no polish is a bullshit... )
I don't know how chipped your car is but ceramic coating and paint protection / touch up will never be as good a respraying panels obviously but i have used my touch up kit for small touch ups on the body work from time to time and its not bad as its metallic and it settles well.
As for the bumper PPFed and the parking sensors working, i honestly don't know if they cut the little circles out or just went over the top.... what i can say is my parking sensors all work fine. Perhaps ask the people who do it, I'm sure they would be aware of this.
I'm in Sydney so a little further a field than the Big Apple so cannot recommend a shop for you but can recommend the above work being done to keep the car easy to clean and looking its best!
good luck
Appreciate 1
RJV343.50
      06-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree the black sapphire metallic color does give a sophisticated look to a "black" car.
Appreciate 0