BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
SaxonHiggies
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC 2016

Thinking of mothballing my M6 GC

Hi all,

I have a factory standard 2016 M6 Gran Coupe. I've had it just over 3 years and I bought it with 12k miles. It's currently on 30k.

Next year I was thinking of trading it for something else but I'm really concerned I won't like anything else as much. The M6 was my dream car and now I have one I don't want to let it go!

So, instead of trading up, I'm thinking of mothballing it and keeping it in my garage, maybe using it a handful of times a year. Then just get something else that is a bit more friendly for day-to-day use.

Has anyone else done this? In the UK there are only around 20 M6 GCs for sale at any one time. So I'm thinking this might be one of those cars that gains value with the intro of EVs etc.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I have an Alpina B6 that I keep in storage and only drive when I’m in town. (My work keeps me out of town most of the year). I don’t do it to maintain value, just to keep the car in better shape since I travel a lot and don’t usually have any parking that I would consider “safe” for it on jobsites.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I bought my M6 about 6 years ago at 28k miles as a weekend car that is garaged all year round, and 'put down for a nap' in the winter months. I've put only about 30k on it in those years (5k/yr) and like the other poster, I'm less concerned about resale price, than I am with having it around in good condition for a long time, using my Ford Explorer as a daily. Like you, this was a 'dream car' and driving it on the weekends helps keep it feeling 'special' as opposed to just routine.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 02:09 AM   #4
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonHiggies View Post
Hi all,

I have a factory standard 2016 M6 Gran Coupe. I've had it just over 3 years and I bought it with 12k miles. It's currently on 30k.

Next year I was thinking of trading it for something else but I'm really concerned I won't like anything else as much. The M6 was my dream car and now I have one I don't want to let it go!

So, instead of trading up, I'm thinking of mothballing it and keeping it in my garage, maybe using it a handful of times a year. Then just get something else that is a bit more friendly for day-to-day use.

Has anyone else done this? In the UK there are only around 20 M6 GCs for sale at any one time. So I'm thinking this might be one of those cars that gains value with the intro of EVs etc.

Thoughts?

I have a 13 with 20k miles that I plan on keeping forever. Even though the miles are low I'm still concerned about the age. I should have it paid off my next year, so I plan on having a paid off M6 for the next 10 years I hope. The problem is there aren't any cars out there with just this much performance for the money. I can't see myself selling it unless it becomes a burden.
Appreciate 0