BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-01-2020, 04:36 AM   #1
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
R8 RWS to replace M6 GC

Anyone with direct experience of comparing R8 RWS and M6, preferably F06?

I think I have an itch, so need to figure out if I need to scratch it...

I'm not too much worried about the practicality, or lack of it, in the R8 - as far as I can remember, I've had someone sitting on the rear seat once in a bit more than 2 years, and a set of golf clubs appears to fit behind the seats... Everything else will work in need...

I have hard time finding a car I could actually drive, there is one for sale in Perth, but that's like San Francisco to NYC to test drive, and under our current lockdown rules that's not even a theoretical possibility... So, anyone with direct experience of both, please help out?

My main concern is whether the R8 is just "unliveable" as the only car (exclude the space question), too harsh ride, hard work because of the massive V10 (except, it's not that much bigger than our cars' 4.4L V8), significantly higher maintenance costs etc.

Should I just let it be? Absolutely nothing wrong with the M6, and I would seriously miss my custom sound system (just not possible to replicate in R8)...?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Anyone with direct experience of comparing R8 RWS and M6, preferably F06?

I think I have an itch, so need to figure out if I need to scratch it...

I'm not too much worried about the practicality, or lack of it, in the R8 - as far as I can remember, I've had someone sitting on the rear seat once in a bit more than 2 years, and a set of golf clubs appears to fit behind the seats... Everything else will work in need...

I have hard time finding a car I could actually drive, there is one for sale in Perth, but that's like San Francisco to NYC to test drive, and under our current lockdown rules that's not even a theoretical possibility... So, anyone with direct experience of both, please help out?

My main concern is whether the R8 is just "unliveable" as the only car (exclude the space question), too harsh ride, hard work because of the massive V10 (except, it's not that much bigger than our cars' 4.4L V8), significantly higher maintenance costs etc.

Should I just let it be? Absolutely nothing wrong with the M6, and I would seriously miss my custom sound system (just not possible to replicate in R8)...?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Have you driven the current generation R8 V10 yet? I have not owned an R8 but fortunate to have driven just about every variant since they came out.

The first gen including the MY 14/15 facelift was let down by the transmission with the R-Tronic (similar to Lamborghini E-Gear in Gallardo's) being finicky to handle, so manual transmission was really the only way to go. Ride was on the stiffer side but what you would probably expect for the kind of car it is. Tech was also rather dated towards the end of its life cycle. I thought about getting a facelift MY14/15 V8 as well since the V10 wouldn't have been in my budget, but I resolved that I wanted more 'car' from a daily and that I probably needed the additional space, hence the M6 GC.

The current gen car really is a different world. The transmission is light years better along with updated tech inside. Living in a part of the world like Australia I really don't see why you couldn't daily drive one if you're not pressed for the space. Really easy to live with in terms of comfort and ease of use. As far as maintenance goes, you will get the 'R/RS' tax from Audi much like the 'M' tax you're already used to with the BMW. The 5.2 V10 is a very reliable powertrain overall with very few (if any) gremlins. Several 'exotic rental' companies in the US run Huracans forever, one Las Vegas based company recently took one out of their fleet at close to 200,000 mi, so they hold up very well even when subjected to punishment. Figure this powertrain has been in development with Audi/Lamborghini for almost 15 years now.

Last edited by LJohnson32; 08-01-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 1