BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

View Poll Results: Which Tuner is the Best
Dinan 3 16.67%
Mission 4 22.22%
AC-Schnitzer 0 0%
G-Power 0 0%
Turner Motorsport 0 0%
Burger Tuning 6 33.33%
Evolve 2 11.11%
Noelle 0 0%
Evotech 1 5.56%
PP-Performance 0 0%
Manhart Racing 0 0%
Kelleners Sport 0 0%
Active Autowerke 0 0%
Hamann 0 0%
VR (Vivid Racing) 0 0%
Evolution Tuning 0 0%
RaceChip USA 0 0%
ESS 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

04-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

The Best of The Best F12/F13 Performance Tuner!

Hello,

Like the title states, I’m conducting a research to determine the overall BEST performance tuner for the M6. I have listed some of the ones that I know right off the top of my head. One of which I’m currently running in my F13. Please forgive me if I have left any tuner off the list, because I already know that I did. There are May out there. And, all have made claims that theirs is the very best. So, to better determine the best tuner, I would rather get first hand reports from actual owners of M6s with installed tuners. Thanks for your feedback.

*AC Schnitzer
*Dinan
*G-Power
*Evolve
*Noelle
*Evotech
*PP-Performance
*Manhart racing
*Kelleners Sport
*Turner Motorsport
*Active Autowerke
*Hamann
*Burger Tuning
*VR (Vivid Racing)
*Mission Tuning
*Evolution Tuning
*RaceChip USA
*ESS
*BootMod3 (unable to add to earlier poll, sorry).
?
?
?

Last edited by M6DYS; 04-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add BootMod3 tuner
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Hello,

Like the title states, I’m conducting a research to determine the overall BEST performance tuner for the M6. I have listed some of the ones that I know right off the top of my head. One of which I’m currently running in my F13. Please forgive me if I have left any tuner off the list, because I already know that I did. There are May out there. And, all have made claims that theirs is the very best. So, to better determine the best tuner, I would rather get first hand reports from actual owners of M6s with installed tuners. Thanks for your feedback.

*AC Schnitzer
*Dinan
*G-Power
*Evolve
*Noelle
*Evotech
*PP-Performance
*Manhart racing
*Kelleners Sport
*Turner Motorsport
*Active Autowerke
*Hamann
*Burger Tuning
*VR (Vivid Racing)
*Mission Tuning
*Evolution Tuning
*RaceChip USA
*ESS
?
?
?
For flash tunes, Mission Performance. Piggy back tunes, Burger Tuning.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
For flash tunes, Mission Performance. Piggy back tunes, Burger Tuning.
Thanks for your feedback. I’ve seen a whole lot of good stuff about Mission Performance. Burger is very popular.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

How do you determine “the best”
I have AC-Schnitzer tune 620hp but quite expensive.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
How do you determine “the best”
I have AC-Schnitzer tune 620hp but quite expensive.
You have a valid point. I am hoping that several F12/F13 owners who have tuners on their vehicles would chime in and provide their knowledge and experiences. Thus, providing valuable information for myself and others.

So, what are your thoughts? I would love to get your take on the AC-Schnitzer tuner?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

i have one of the tunes you listed, currently not happy with it. my next dyno will determine my rating of this tune. i will chime back in when i know what to think of this tune
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #7
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
i have one of the tunes you listed, currently not happy with it. my next dyno will determine my rating of this tune. i will chime back in when i know what to think of this tune
Ok, great. I’m eager to hear from you, regarding your experience with your tuner.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

To further add to the thread, I have a piggyback tuner. It’s not the best tuner at all. I don’t care for it. I am now in the market for a new tuner. I’m not fond of piggyback tuners out there for the f12/f13. Most of the good OBDII flash tuners are much more expensive. However, I think that they are much better than the piggyback tuners currently available today for our M6s. So, with that type of financial investment in a new tuner, I may, as well, do an extensive research before doling out any cash.

Plus, I am also very concerned with the immediate and long term use of several of the tuners out there. Let’s face it, our cars aren’t cheap. BMWs are expensive, so it would make no sense to get any tuner that has the potential to cause significant damages to our vehicular investments.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #9
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You have a valid point. I am hoping that several F12/F13 owners who have tuners on their vehicles would chime in and provide their knowledge and experiences. Thus, providing valuable information for myself and others.

So, what are your thoughts? I would love to get your take on the AC-Schnitzer tuner?
I am happy with the tune but I wouldn’t buy it as it is just too expensive. For this amount of money I would go for some more carbon parts or even a full body kits.
Here is the reference AC Schnitzer performance upgrade for BMW F06/F12/F13 M6 up to 06/2015
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-13-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
To further add to the thread, I have a piggyback tuner. It’s not the best tuner at all. I don’t care for it. I am now in the market for a new tuner. I’m not fond of piggyback tuners out there for the f12/f13. Most of the good OBDII flash tuners are much more expensive. However, I think that they are much better than the piggyback tuners currently available today for our M6s. So, with that type of financial investment in a new tuner, I may, as well, do an extensive research before doling out any cash.

Plus, I am also very concerned with the immediate and long term use of several of the tuners out there. Let’s face it, our cars aren’t cheap. BMWs are expensive, so it would make no sense to get any tuner that has the potential to cause significant damages to our vehicular investments.
I think you just nailed it! With a number of tuners that may produce big numbers but without any longer term testing, my guess is that too many people have had bad experiences due to bad quality after market tuning, our cars now have a reputation “stay away”... I’m sure most of these are ok on short term, but what about when you get 50-75k miles (70-100k km) to the car - who long term tested the tune and other parts of the car for the new parts...? Or maybe I’m just too poor to can afford to pay for the repairs that are result of more fun...

I just wonder why BMW doesn’t take more power out of these engines when it’s so easy? The answer is probably that they don’t want to deal with the warranty claims when all sorts of things start failing... Bad for reputation, and I’m not sure if anyone can really claim that our cars are slow...

Well, the good thing is that we can all choose what we do with our cars - mine will never see an after market tune! 600 hp is quite enough for a road car. Visual mods is whole different thing, but IMO they would need to improve what’s good in the looks of the original car, not change it for something it wasn’t...

But hey, these are just my opinions...
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am happy with the tune but I wouldn’t buy it as it is just too expensive. For this amount of money I would go for some more carbon parts or even a full body kits.
Here is the reference AC Schnitzer performance upgrade for BMW F06/F12/F13 M6 up to 06/2015
I totally understand. What are the pros and cons of your AC-Schnitzer tuner, besides the cost? Did you get any dump time since the tuner has been installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
I think you just nailed it! With a number of tuners that may produce big numbers but without any longer term testing, my guess is that too many people have had bad experiences due to bad quality after market tuning, our cars now have a reputation “stay away”... I’m sure most of these are ok on short term, but what about when you get 50-75k miles (70-100k km) to the car - who long term tested the tune and other parts of the car for the new parts...? Or maybe I’m just too poor to can afford to pay for the repairs that are result of more fun...

I just wonder why BMW doesn’t take more power out of these engines when it’s so easy? The answer is probably that they don’t want to deal with the warranty claims when all sorts of things start failing... Bad for reputation, and I’m not sure if anyone can really claim that our cars are slow...

Well, the good thing is that we can all choose what we do with our cars - mine will never see an after market tune! 600 hp is quite enough for a road car. Visual mods is whole different thing, but IMO they would need to improve what’s good in the looks of the original car, not change it for something it wasn’t...

But hey, these are just my opinions...
You are absolutely right with all that you have said. As far as power is concerned, BMW makes great drivetrains that can definitely deliver more power than they sell them with. While every other luxury car maker is currently focused on improving their vehicles’ performance and styling, BMW has become stagnant of lately.

Perfect example of BMW’s reluctance to maximize the full performance of their vehicles, is their recent joint venture with Toyota. They both developed a new vehicle. For Toyota it’s called the Supra. For BMW, their version is called the Z4. While BMW chose to give their Z4 255hp, Toyota has given their version of the very same vehicle 335hp. The only difference between the two is the tune that Toyota added to their Supra. The same thing with their exterior stylings. Toyota’s has a very sleek and sporty styling, but BMW chose to go very conservatively, with a bland looking car.

BMW refuses to create an aftermarket division for their vehicles. That’s why many folks have sought to improve the overall performance of their BMWs with tuners, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Wouldn't this have been better posted as a poll?
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #14
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I totally understand. What are the pros and cons of your AC-Schnitzer tuner, besides the cost? Did you get any dump time since the tuner has been installed?
No, it was installed checked and done. I have several AC-Schnitzer sticker on the engine and none BMW dealer have any problem with it. It is like OEM. THAT is the point of having a real (the best?) tuner.
AC-Schnitzer improves the hp on long term and not to max. hp which is a good thing.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

I feel like it's kind of impossible to determine which tune is the "best". Unless you had a driver trying each tune and comparing them back to back on the same car, there really isn't a real way to compare tunes other than dynos. And honestly dynos don't reflect how a car actually drives... Some people like high low end torque and others like high top end.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS17.50
      04-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #16
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Wouldn't this have been better posted as a poll?
Yes, I tried to create a poll, but each time I got halfway through, the site froze, then rebooted. I ended up just creating the post this way, after the 5th time when it booted me. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #17
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it was installed checked and done. I have several AC-Schnitzer sticker on the engine and none BMW dealer have any problem with it. It is like OEM. THAT is the point of having a real (the best?) tuner.
AC-Schnitzer improves the hp on long term and not to max. hp which is a good thing.
Ok, I totally understand. That’s good to know about the AC-Schnitzer tune. I’m sorry for the typo earlier. I meant to say “dyno” time. :-). Did you explore any other tuner? Whether or not you did, is there any other tuner that you more than likely who have chosen besides the AC-Schnitzer?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
I feel like it's kind of impossible to determine which tune is the "best". Unless you had a driver trying each tune and comparing them back to back on the same car, there really isn't a real way to compare tunes other than dynos. And honestly dynos don't reflect how a car actually drives... Some people like high low end torque and others like high top end.
You have a very valid point. I guess that my wording doesn’t really reflect my thoughts about determining what tuners are the best. With that said, my primary goal here with this thread, is gather information and feedback from owners with tuners in their cars. To figure out as much “Pros & Cons” regarding the various tuners out there. I don’t necessarily seek to find out which tuners produced the most horsepower. But, to find out the best tuners available, that provides the best upgrade to the vehicle’s overall performance, while creating the least, amount of long term harm to the vehicle. Anyone or tune can produce more hp, but there aren’t many of them that have been proven to not cause any type of long term damages to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #19
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

Is there a specific reason that no one has mentioned Bootmod3 in here?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #20
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

How about your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
How about your opinion?
Is this directed towards me?
      04-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #22
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post
Is there a specific reason that no one has mentioned Bootmod3 in here?
From the many data that I have read, Bootmod3 doesn’t do well as a stand alone tuner. In addition, many people have mentioned long term problems with the tuner. They say that it’s not good for daily driving. However, it seems to work decent on track tuned vehicles that are married to other tuners.

Maybe you could provide some insight on the Bootmod3 ?
Appreciate 0