BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Help w/ Part #s for Coolant Hose Replacement

I could use some help, it's not the usual look-it-up-on-realoem thing:

Long story short (And it's a loooong story, hoo-boy), my 2015 650i GC is currently at a BMW dealer w/ a broken coolant hose, which they propose to replace for $2027. I'm pretty darn handy and would like to order up the part and replace it myself this weekend, but they haven't given me much to go on:

The estimate lists it as "VENTILATION LINE, ENGINE:171040", and the tech I spoke to briefly described it as a line with a Y-pipe that runs between the heads in the front part of the engine, and runs below the alternator at some point.

It seems the 171040 number refers to any/all coolant hoses in BMW Service Land (??), so that's not been helpful. Anyone have any added insight there? I've requested the part# from the service advisor, we'll see if he's cooperative, hasn't been very helpful so far.

Anyway, I did find a part that seems to fit the description, but I lack confirmation. Check it out, #7 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1592. It's even listed as "Ventilation line: engine". And FCP Euro has it in stock! https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...619702#fitment

Whaddaya think? I'm thinking it's the only thing it could be, but maybe I'm getting a little too excited and missing something. Also the whole 171040 thing has me nervous. And I'm dreading how much of the engine bay I'd have to pull apart to get at this thing. But there's a glimmer of hope. Thoughts? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

If you plan to DIY then you have to get the car back from the dealer anyway, so maybe just get it and look to see if that hose is leaking. But based on their description and location I would assume that is it. I don't know how skilled you are. I would certainly do it myself. I guess I can go out and look at mine and tell you if it looks like a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I have to say that I am not 100% sure where that hose is located. Although it looks somewhat like one of the turbo coolant lines on top, it is not. And because the names are so generic I'm having trouble finding the specific instructions. If it were my car I'd have to do some more research and trace the coolant lines in my car to find it for sure, but a quick look did not reveal the obvious candidate. Anyway, if you need to get under the alternator just know that step one for that is removing the fan shroud and fan assembly, so it is pretty involved. That alone may put you off. If you've ever spent 5 minutes looking at all the stuff packed at the front of an N63 engine you'll realize that most any job is for a DIYer whose experience extends beyond oil changes and brake jobs. It will be a multi-hour undertaking.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:23 PM   #4
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

Update: the service advisor just confirmed it is the part I'm thinking it is, which I'm not sure is good news considering how deeply it appears to be buried lol. I just had the front area open replacing the turbo coolant lines, and I can't say I can picture it, though I didn't have the alternator out for that. I'm definitely going to DIY it, just...gotta figure out exactly how to get at it...and find the time of course.

From what you're saying, it sounds like it may not even be visible without removing some things? I'm figuring the alternator will have to come out, though I'll see if it can't be snaked in/out without having to deal with that just in case I can save a step.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I don't know that it's not visible, but it's not obviously visible, as in "oh, that's it." It's a bit chilly here so I did not spend a lot of time. Real OEM tends to blow stuff apart and not show hoses in relation to what they connect to. If I were doing it, I'd start with a better diagram of the main coolant system and then once you locate any hose on that you can just trace them. User Qsilver7 has posted a very good diagram on here numerous times - both the coolant systems, so it should not take you too long to find one with a search or two or looking for posts by him - or he'll read this and post it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #6
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

He posted the diagrams in this thread:
https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801654

Unfortunately this line isn't included, but you can see the connection point to the main line off the water pump, that little nipple sticking up next to the 2 in the first image. Flipping between these diagrams and the realoem diagram, it looks like the line runs more or less next to the alternator on the driver side (???), and then the connections to the heads are somewhere down below the turbo inlets. It's gonna be a lot of peeling back layers to get at this one methinks
Appreciate 0