BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-03-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
eugkim
Rep
Drives: 2014 F12 M6, 2014 E63S

Radar detector installation

I just installed a radar detector in my M6. I have V1s in all my cars, but I decided to try a Uniden R7. I usually tap into the fuse box or use a Savvy, but wanted to try a Mirror Tap for the M6. I did the research and found that tapping into the rain sensor was the best solution. I learned a few things. First, definitely remove the plug. I tried for a long time to do it without removing it, and ended up breaking 3 or 4 of the tap pins. I wasn't sure how to remove the plug, so I took a pic and didn't see any tabs to push. I got a needle nose plier and pulled it out easily. Once out, it was SO much easier to use the plugs. Turns out, it needed the smallest pins. Even with it out, it took some effort to get the pins pushed in. Works great. J28 Design (Mirror Tap manufacturer) was great - they are shipping out new pins. Didn't want to wait, so I ended up soldering a negative pin onto a positive wire to complete the job.

I found this the most helpful for the installation

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...etector&page=2
Appreciate 0