BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #67
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
How about just drive and stop texting in the car.
How about we eliminate all infotainment (telephone, radio, apps) which can be distracting while driving? Don't forget about cupholders since drinking a beverage while driving can also be distracting. And those vehicles that have "the smokers package" that makes smoking possible which can also distract from driving.
Yeah. All those cause the same amount of issues as texting. Nice try.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #68
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Texting by voice is no more distracting that speaking on the telephone.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #69
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Put your phone down and drive. Full stop.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #70
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Is this through apple carplay or idrive?
iDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #71
anselansel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

big bunch of nothing that BMW breathlessly announces, the old line car makers really dont get it
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:02 AM   #72
bincemathew
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
The press release:

BMW Remote Software Upgrades deliver comprehensive improvements to key vehicle functions, bring the latest digital products into the vehicle over the air and ensure software is always up to date. The BMW Group is offering its third over-the-air upgrade this year – this time for around two million BMW vehicles worldwide. By the end of 2021, the world's largest upgrade-compatible fleet will be on the roads, with over 2.5 million connected BMW vehicles, from conventionally powered cars to plug-in hybrids to the fully-electric BMW.

The BMW Group's most extensive Remote Software Upgrade campaign to date will begin with the rollout of the latest version of BMW Operating System 7 (Ver. 21-07) on 11 Oct. 2021. The campaign will kick off in Germany, with other markets to follow in stages. This comprehensive Remote Software Upgrade campaign will focus on expanding and improving driver assistance functions. Spotify will also enhance the entertainment experience offered by BMW Connected Music and can now also play podcasts. BMW M3 and M4 drivers can look forward to a unique new sound experience while driving, thanks to M Sound Control. Each of these new features offers customers greater convenience, enhanced safety and, quite simply, more Sheer Driving Pleasure.

New to this campaign is that My BMW app users can exclusively download this version for free during the first two weeks. The upgrade will then be available to all customers as an automatic download directly through their vehicle. The My BMW app connects customers to their vehicle via their smartphone, turning it into an intelligent interface. In addition to allowing the new Remote Software Upgrade to be downloaded into the vehicle, the app also provides a convenient way to plan trips or set up a service appointment. From November 2021, the My BMW app will offer functional enhancements in the field of electromobility and information on the vehicle status, among other features.
With the current upgrade, more than 30 models and 1.6 million vehicles worldwide built by the premium manufacturer will be able to update their software directly. It will also be possible to roll out the current version (Ver. 21-07) to almost 400,000 more vehicles with an older software version. The requirement is that these vehicles have a software version with upgrade capabilities (Ver. 20-07); this can easily be achieved by installing the previous version.

New and enhanced functions.

Unnecessary steering interventions can be avoided with the improved Lane Departure Warning on narrowing roads without centre markings, as well as calculated cornering.

See what your BMW sees: This is possible with the new Assisted View. When Active Cruise Control (ACC) is activated, the BMW recognises the traffic situation around the vehicle in moving traffic, even in fog. This function offers more comfort and safety – now also in China.
More comprehensive data collection of traffic information via enhanced RTTI (Real-Time Traffic Information) allows BMW Maps to plan routes and predict arrival times even more precisely.

Spotify podcast playlists are now available in the car through BMW Connected Music. Logging in via the Spotify app in the car and BMW Connected Music automatically activates this feature.

Enhanced driver detection in the vehicle ensures the correct driver profile is loaded, no matter where the vehicle key is in the vehicle.

The new BMW M Sound Control for the BMW M3 and BMW M4 promises pure emotion – whether starting the engine, changing gears or switching between driving experience modes. In any case, a customisable interior sound and a unique BMW M Sound Experience is guaranteed.

Advanced volume control for Android smartphones connected to the vehicle via Bluetooth provides an enhanced sound experience for streaming music or podcasts.

Functional improvements.

This Remote Software Upgrade once again delivers technical service options. For the customer, this means functions are immediately improved, without waiting times or a trip to the workshop.

Remote Software Upgrade and rollout.

With BMW Operating System 7 and Remote Software Upgrade, BMW drivers have been able to update their vehicle quickly and easily with the latest software since 2018 – regardless of whether the new software is delivered to the vehicle via the My BMW app or directly over-the-air. The new features can be conveniently downloaded into the car. Installation files are prepared in the vehicle in the background; once this is complete, even installation of major upgrades rarely takes more than 20 minutes.

Vehicles with BMW Operating System 7 produced from July 2021 on already come with the latest version, including all additional functions. Customers can view the software version and check for available upgrades in the vehicle settings under Remote Software Upgrade. Remote Software Upgrade is now available for more than 30 BMW models – almost the entire BMW fleet. Vehicles with software older than version 20-07 cannot install the latest version until the intermediate version has been downloaded and installed. Only the next possible upgrade is available for installation, so the user can never install the wrong version.

The availability of services and functions depends on the vehicle model and equipment, as well as the software version installed in each country. Customers can view the release notes for their respective market on the country pages of the BMW website.

Instructions and tips for the Remote Software Upgrade can be found in the corresponding BMW how-to video.

Source: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...n-bmw-vehicles
"See what your BMW sees: This is possible with the new Assisted View. When Active Cruise Control (ACC) is activated, the BMW recognises the traffic situation around the vehicle in moving traffic, even in fog. This function offers more comfort and safety – now also in China.
More comprehensive data collection of traffic information via enhanced RTTI (Real-Time Traffic Information) allows BMW Maps to plan routes and predict arrival times even more precisely"

Does this mean BMW will enable Assisted View for cars like the G20 which was produced in early 2019 as well?
So far , I had to enable Assisted Driving View via bimmer coding and I had to repeat the process after every software upgrade.
Also, has anyone got this update already ? I haven't got this update yet, I am in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:47 AM   #73
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Put your phone down and drive. Full stop.
I don't read text messages for fun, I have to be alert to alarms going off at work and pulling over in peak traffic on a highway isn't always an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #74
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
DavidXJ , 2020 M340i here. I had the brake boost recall and had the software change. Initially I thought all the sounds were robbed but then noticed that the update reset even my Sport Individual settings. After changing everything back to Sport/Sport Plus, it seemed just about the same.

Now weirdly, it seems that the resonance and pops are more noticeable with the windows UP than down. Like they made the sound reverberate through the chassis and decreased it on the outside.

Overall, not terribly displeased by the changes.
Thanks for providing these impressions. It's reassuring that they haven't annihilated the exhaust note, despite the mounting pressure of noise regulation interventions; and from what you say, it seems like the update is now pumping more sound into the cabin, artificially or otherwise! In short, could be (very much) worse.

--D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #75
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2_MA View Post
I just installed the upgrade and it doesn't add any additional button or option in the settings as far as I can tell. The difference I noticed was that the car is significantly louder in Sport and Sport Plus.
Hmm... I guess I might already have it then. The biggest change I noticed going from my M2 to the G80 is how much louder the "exhaust" sounded inside the cabin. The M2 (stock exhaust) was much louder outside of the car though... either way, I don't mind it.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #76
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Or speaking to someone in the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #77
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinwong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
A lot of maps and infotainment upgrades are useless since apple car play works so well
Question - do CarPlay directions show up in the HUD for you? They don't on my Audi so I stay using the manufacturer nav but wonder if BMW has worked around that? (I read that they did with the iX)
Apple maps works through my HUD through car play, although its not as detailed as BMW's. Google maps still doesn't work, unless this new update rectifies that
That needs Google to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #78
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
That needs Google to make it work.
BMW probably has to make a deal with Google to allow both Google maps and Waze appear on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #79
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Too bad that all M2s didn’t have idrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #80
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Quote:
Or speaking to someone in the passenger seat.
Actually there is a difference. When speaking to someone on the phone if something unfolds unexpectedly in front of you requiring your undivided attention the person you're talking with does not stop talking. This can be quite distracting.

If something unfolds unexpectedly and you're speaking with a person in the passenger seat you both stop talking and you both have full attention to the situation at hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #81
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of maps and infotainment upgrades are useless since apple car play works so well
Question - do CarPlay directions show up in the HUD for you? They don't on my Audi so I stay using the manufacturer nav but wonder if BMW has worked around that? (I read that they did with the iX)
Yes it does on my f95 when using Apple Maps not google, but not as refined as BMW navigation which I find works the best
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #82
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it does on my f95 when using Apple Maps not google, but not as refined as BMW navigation which I find works the best
The bmw graphics are nice in the hud Navi. But doesn't bmw Navi for traffic and directions suck compared to Apple and google maps ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #83
BMW41049
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
My '21 X3 with 07-20 software displays the messages on the screen and reads them out, if I want, as I'm driving. Will even dictate my reply message back as well.
My 21 X6 does this as well, very cool.
Appreciate 1
arRod1981900.00
      10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #84
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Actually there is a difference. When speaking to someone on the phone if something unfolds unexpectedly in front of you requiring your undivided attention the person you're talking with does not stop talking. This can be quite distracting.

If something unfolds unexpectedly and you're speaking with a person in the passenger seat you both stop talking and you both have full attention to the situation at hand.
For me, I just tune the person out when this happens. In person or on the phone it doesn’t matter. My attention and focus is on the road. I can always ask them to repeat it whatnot once I feel like I can pay them attention again.

My passengers in the car don’t always see the same things that require my attention so they don’t always respond as such. For instance, I see a car weaving through traffic in my rear view cutting into very closely and sloppy about it too coming up on my bumper. I will focus my attention instantly on evasion paths and where I can move to that would minimize issues with that car…

Although people in the car and respond to the stuff you’re seeing they aren’t watching anywhere near as much stuff as you are.

If you can’t instantly tune out though then you shouldn’t be on the phone and you shouldn’t let passengers talk to you while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
The bmw graphics are nice in the hud Navi. But doesn't bmw Navi for traffic and directions suck compared to Apple and google maps ?
For me, BMW navigation is spot on with its traffic information and directions are pretty solid too.

I know BMW pulls in data from BMW cars and others on the road so it may vary by how many BMWs are in your area. In Philly we’re not far from BMWNA headquarters so we have a high share of BMWs on the road and that might play a role

Even the BMW parking map constantly shows BMWs leaving street parking in Philly…
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #85
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
It depends on who the passenger is!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #86
jrin21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: White e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
sweet
Will my new 2022 X5 M50i be eligible for this upgrade?
I think 2022 has it already
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #87
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Will my new 2022 X5 M50i be eligible for this upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrin21 View Post
I think 2022 has it already
You a correct...
Appreciate 1
jps3b84.00
      10-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #88
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they do only if you use apple maps as your default.