BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Charge pipe/turbo seal leak?

So I was looking around the engine to determine if I had any potential PVC issues and noticed a few peculiar things. First, it looks like the passenger side turbo to rubber hose connection might be leaking somewhat as there is definitely some oil residue there and then potentially dripping down into the elbow/discharge area of the turbo. does not seem like a lot, but based on the patterns I can only assume this is some blow by under boost. 2nd thing, I noticed my passenger side PVC tube is nice and clean but the drivers side was caked with dirt/oil residue. So passenger side replaced at some point or do I have a crack/leak on the drivers side? I know, minor details here but just odd.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

As far as your question I am not really sure, although it does look like you should replace your small turbo coolant hoses and clamps. Under the snap blanket if you have not already replaced them.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

So curious, what indicates those need to be replaced? Amazing that the BMW kit is $50 for 4 hoses and 8 clamps. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
So curious, what indicates those need to be replaced? Amazing that the BMW kit is $50 for 4 hoses and 8 clamps. Thanks!

All the brownish stuff on the heat shield is coolant being burned off. The clamps and hoses get weak over time and under pressure they spray coolant.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I agree you should replace those but with silicon tube and dei heat shielding
Attached Images

10-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome, mine are toast for sure. $150 for BMW replacement hoses/clamps/wrap. That seems like it would be possible to find much higher quality replacement parts for the same or less.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
I agree you should replace those but with silicon tube and dei heat shielding
Looking at the DEI options, they have "Design Engineering 010457 Heat Shroud - Aluminized Sleeving for Ultimate Heat Protection (with Hook and Loop Closure), 0.5" - .75" x 3'"

Will .75" ID fit over those hoses? What size tubing is that?

Curious how much coolant is lost while replacing those, and do you need to purge the coolant system after?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the DEI options, they have "Design Engineering 010457 Heat Shroud - Aluminized Sleeving for Ultimate Heat Protection (with Hook and Loop Closure), 0.5" - .75" x 3'"

Will .75" ID fit over those hoses? What size tubing is that?

Curious how much coolant is lost while replacing those, and do you need to purge the coolant system after?

Thanks!
The tube is 3/8"

I used these two products off of amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the tricky part about the heat sleeving is the sizing of the clamp on the hose. so the 3/4 inch sleeve will not work, it way too tight. I went with the 1.5 inch so I could slide it on nice and easy, it still catches here and there, but its the way to go unless you get heat shroud which can come undone via Velcro strip. Just I would get just get the sleeve and cut it to size and slide them over.

If you are dead set on going the shroud, I would set one up with a mock setup and start measuring with the clamp on the inner diameter. and give myself an extra 1/4" to maneuver the shroud on the lines.

you will lose a little bit of coolant, but with the tubes being so high in the coolant loop its not too much. I would recommend re bleeding the system which is pretty easy. I think there is a good video on youtube how to do it. but the basics are car power on, engine not running, highest hvac temperature, blower motor on low, and depress the gas pedal for 10 seconds. you will start to hear the electric water pumps running, bleeding the system. leave the fill caps off while its doing this too. make sure to have your car on a trickle charger to while its doing this for 15 minutes.

Last edited by RagtagXMASTER; 10-13-2020 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: added coolant answer
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Going to use the velco style. Will make it easier to remove/inspect in the future if needed. I can't believe anyone would call those BMW snap on things heat shields. And why did they not go solid tube or at least AN fittings so close to the turbo? argh.

I have 33k miles on the car, there is no way that should be happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Going to use the velco style. Will make it easier to remove/inspect in the future if needed. I can't believe anyone would call those BMW snap on things heat shields. And why did they not go solid tube or at least AN fittings so close to the turbo? argh.

I have 33k miles on the car, there is no way that should be happening.
I have some velcro shroud that I can test prior to you making your purchase that I got for the same reason to work on other cars. but the other style can be inspected just as easily, they can just slide back onto the metal pipe. I think I have 1/2 -3/4 velcro style so I can get back to you on the way it fits.
      10-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

It's taking everything I've got to not decide to replace the downpipes and charge pipes with them just staring at me...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's taking everything I've got to not decide to replace the downpipes and charge pipes with them just staring at me...
Tried the 1/2-3/4 sheath. It does not fit with standard hose clamps on the line. Maybe with the one time use ones but not the standard hose clamps. Here is the inner diameter difference of the 1.5 inch shroud vs sheath

While you are there just do them. Downpipes especially. You will never look back and have a smile from ear to ear on the turbo noises. Charge pipes are more of peace of mind imo. The oe couplers can leak over time. Mine did and i replaced them.
Attached Images

10-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info. Going to try the velcro version along with some stainless ties, going to try and wrap as far back/down towards the turbo housing as possible. Will post pics next week after done. Going to start another thread to see if anyone has used the PTP S63 turbo blankets...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Coolant connector lines replaced with high temp silicon hose and stainless clamps. Was interesting that half the clamps were actually loose/easily rotated with the old rubber hose. So not sure how much of the leaking was due to rubber falling apart vs clamps loosing pressure. Regardless, took 30 minutes and just a few drops of coolant leaked. I ran the coolant purge cycle anyway and then took it for a drive to warm up. No leaks. DEI heat shield was delayed in shipping so won't be here until Monday, since I got the velcro style will be simple to put on after the fact.
Appreciate 0