BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
omgoReL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i X-Drive M-Sport

Convertible and window problem

hello all i have a 2014 bmw 650i x drive convertible. last week i tried opening my convertible top but it would not budge or give me any faults. The windows were being weird and the rear passenger window stopped the automatic window up i figure this is the cause of the convertible not working as when i depress the convertible switch all windows go down except for that one. i connected a obd2 to it and i got the code "30195 Window regulator, passenger's side door, rear: invalid characteristic curve, no normalization present. any help will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

So there is a window reset procedure you can do to calibrate the windows again, you'll have to have a search as I can't remember what it is, might be worth a try.

Unfortunately in convertibles there are loads of microswitches, any of which will stop the function of the roof if they are misbehaving. I'd try the window reset first and go from there, not much help I know.

Here's a video of the window reset: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRpmosAu-qw

Failing that, if it was me I would disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and try again. After that I would get a dealer to diagnose the window regulator itself, which may have died. Dealer or decent garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
omgoReL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i X-Drive M-Sport

I tried doing that but nothing worked ended up taking it to the shop and the shop is trying to call me $5000 to takeoff the convertible top and see if the sensors are water damaged which I highly believe is not the case because the top did not have any codes when I plugged it into the computer it was only the rear passenger window
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoReL View Post
I tried doing that but nothing worked ended up taking it to the shop and the shop is trying to call me $5000 to takeoff the convertible top and see if the sensors are water damaged which I highly believe is not the case because the top did not have any codes when I plugged it into the computer it was only the rear passenger window
I think if the code you got related only to the window, then you need to start there. However, you don't say if that window operates correctly if you just use the window switch. Does it? If not, then you probably do have a failed regulator. Not too expensive if you can DIY. If you can't, the labor is probably quite a bit.

What kind of shop said you need to remove the convertible top to check sensors? That's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I think if the code you got related only to the window, then you need to start there. However, you don't say if that window operates correctly if you just use the window switch. Does it? If not, then you probably do have a failed regulator. Not too expensive if you can DIY. If you can't, the labor is probably quite a bit.

What kind of shop said you need to remove the convertible top to check sensors? That's crazy.
Agreed, you don't need to remove the top to check microswitches, that's like saying you need to take the engine out to remove the wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

You telling me I did all that work for nothing!!
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      06-09-2023, 09:41 PM   #7
sal1492
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 650i convertable

I have a 2010 650i convertible as well, the passager window sometimes goes up and down but not all the time. I can get the top to go down if I use the remote but the dash switch will not work if that window is not down. I can drive the car about 20 mins or more with the top down and the right window up and after a while I will hit the master switch for that window and it will go down. Today for no reason I used the remote the top when down and so did that window and it when back up with the bash button, but I then tried that right rear window in the garage and nothing??? Obviously the window motor is working, the master switch is working and I would think that the relay is working SOME TIMES. HELP this is driving me crazy. I checked the fuses all OK I don't know where the relay is to check that. I'm taking it to a garage this Tuesday, buckle up.
Appreciate 0