BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #67
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

C&D, in the upcoming August issue, tested the ATS-V, F80 M3 and the C63 S.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1143937

Not a bad read, sadly the Cadillac doesn't fare too well. The M3 won out between the three.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #68
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
C&D, in the upcoming August issue, tested the ATS-V, F80 M3 and the C63 S.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1143937

Not a bad read, sadly the Cadillac doesn't fare too well. The M3 won out between the three.
The Cadi won all the important stats like chassis, handling, brake/steering feel, acceleration.......If you ask me, the M3 lost more then it won in this comparo.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #69
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
So...seems like nothing has changed. The M3 is still the benchmark because it does what it's always done, be the best car overall. The hardcore enthusiast might disagree with that but the fact is, the M3 isn't a track-built car, it's a practical car that could be used on the track.

I don't think there is any doubt that any manufacturer could engineer something better than it's competition if they focused on it. Unfortunately for Cadillac, they focused everything on the chassis and neglected other parts. To me, this win can be put together with all the wins from all the others regardless if they lost out on chassis points because at the end of the day, it seems like the M3 is still the best overall car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #70
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I predicted this few years ago when BMW whored out its M badge for X series, not knocking on it, and M perf package. One can sense the bean counter and the Ivy league business type have taken the helm.
      07-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #71
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I think all none of these cars is really good, though I'd pick the Lexus for its different looks and NA V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #72
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
though I'd pick the Lexus for its different looks and NA V8.
Really? I think that's the worst of all of them. Given it's porky weight, the other 3 cars blow it out of the water.

Shame too, the NA V8 does sound nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #73
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
So...seems like nothing has changed. The M3 is still the benchmark because it does what it's always done, be the best car overall. The hardcore enthusiast might disagree with that but the fact is, the M3 isn't a track-built car, it's a practical car that could be used on the track.

I don't think there is any doubt that any manufacturer could engineer something better than it's competition if they focused on it. Unfortunately for Cadillac, they focused everything on the chassis and neglected other parts. To me, this win can be put together with all the wins from all the others regardless if they lost out on chassis points because at the end of the day, it seems like the M3 is still the best overall car.
I would say a lot has changed. Probably the first time the M3 has been compared to a Cadillac (or anyone) where the M3 needs the interior and interior controls for the win. Then if you care most about the chassis the "M3 isn't track-built car" and you should by a Cadillac, never would have guessed it.
      07-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #74
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Really? I think that's the worst of all of them. Given it's porky weight, the other 3 cars blow it out of the water.

Shame too, the NA V8 does sound nice.
Tesla is also the most heavy sedan, and no one seams to complain. If I wanted light weight, and I do want, I'd look at Porsche Cayman, Alfa Romeo 4C, Toyota GT86 or Mazda MX-5. As for best all-round car, the M2 will be better than the M4, in all ways except two: inferior engine and no Individual. But that is done purposely, as the M4 would simply become redundant being neither M2 nor M6.
Appreciate 0