BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
notcaedin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Should I Keep my F06?

Hi, I recently purchased a beautiful 2016 650i with 67,000 miles. I love the car and it has treated me well so far. However I performed a compression test and got these numbers:

Cylinder 1: 160
Cylinder 2: 162
Cylinder 3: 160
Cylinder 4: 160
Cylinder 5: 180
Cylinder 6: 180
Cylinder 7: 180
Cylinder 8: 178

I know that in the TIS is says " Permissible deviation of cylinders from each other < 2.5 bar || bar ||10-15 bar. "

So my cylinders have no more than around a 1.5 bar variation between each other but it is close to 2.5 bars.

Why could cylinders 1-4 compression psi be 1.5 bars lower than cylinders 5-8?

Lastly, would it be best to get rid of it before anything bad could happen to the car or keep it and enjoy every minute of the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

...didnt you ask this already?!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

What made you run the test to begin with? Just curiosity? If you are not burning oil, then I don't think you have any sort of internal engine issue because the numbers, per group of four cylinders, are nearly identical. If you only checked out of curiosity, then I think you maybe gave yourself something worry about for nothing.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

And I will ad that you seem to be on of those who posts a question looking for help, then never responds further. I will note that for the future.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 08:21 PM   #5
cdiesel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 650i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
What made you run the test to begin with? Just curiosity? If you are not burning oil, then I don't think you have any sort of internal engine issue because the numbers, per group of four cylinders, are nearly identical. If you only checked out of curiosity, then I think you maybe gave yourself something worry about for nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
And I will ad that you seem to be on of those who posts a question looking for help, then never responds further. I will note that for the future.
My apologies I lost my account information and couldn’t get it back so I just bit the bullet and made a new account. The reason why i had a compression test done was because i recently purchased it from copart so I sent it over to my BMW dealership for a used-car inspection. They offered a free compression test so I took the offer. I was curious to see what my numbers would be but i wouldn’t go out of my way to check it for no reason.

I’m signed into my account on the app so I shouldn’t have anymore problems replying to post anymore so once again my apologies.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:11 PM   #6
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
My question is if the vehicle runs fine? Is the car acting in any such way to make you so concerned?
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 11:35 PM   #7
cdiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houranimd49 View Post
My question is if the vehicle runs fine? Is the car acting in any such way to make you so concerned?
The vehicle runs and drives perfectly. There isn’t anything going on with the car that makes me concerned.

At first I was concerned over the actual compression test numbers, when I saw that some of the cylinders had a 20psi variation between them that’s when I started to panic a bit. After getting some helpful answers I’m not that concerned over it anymore but it’s something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:49 AM   #8
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
Here’s my personal two cents. I’ve been down the auction/Copart path before and when one does wander into this, he or she must accept that it’s really a gamble.

If the car operates fine, take it and run with it. Enjoy it, and of course maintain it properly to enjoy it. It’s easy for us to get caught up in the minor details including myself! I just bought my 2016 650 which the previous owner purchased from auction. So not only was it a gamble for him, it is also a gamble for me too. It is what it is and this was the gamble I was willing to make an order to achieve my dream car at an obtainable price point. At the end of the day, what is the obvious difference between my properly working sub $20k 2016 650 and a $40k 650 with little less mileage and maybe one or two years newer? At least this is how I see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #9
cdiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houranimd49 View Post
Here’s my personal two cents. I’ve been down the auction/Copart path before and when one does wander into this, he or she must accept that it’s really a gamble.

If the car operates fine, take it and run with it. Enjoy it, and of course maintain it properly to enjoy it. It’s easy for us to get caught up in the minor details including myself! I just bought my 2016 650 which the previous owner purchased from auction. So not only was it a gamble for him, it is also a gamble for me too. It is what it is and this was the gamble I was willing to make an order to achieve my dream car at an obtainable price point. At the end of the day, what is the obvious difference between my properly working sub $20k 2016 650 and a $40k 650 with little less mileage and maybe one or two years newer? At least this is how I see it.
I completely agree i knew when i bought it from auction that it would be a gamble. Especially without even seeing with my own eyes before buying it. Glad to see another auctioned 650i doing good!
Appreciate 1