BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Before I break something.

First, the roof trim cap on the right side has broken off. (A picture below for reference.) Has anyone removed the trim piece and can explain the safe way to lift it without snapping it into pieces? I've reference diagrams, but can't get a proper handle on how it is actually done. I want to order the end cap and replace it myself, if possible.

Second, the trunk roundel has started to show signs of corrosion. Is it secured by the 2 nibs and double-sided tape like the front roundel?

Appreciate the help.

Broken trim cap. (Click image for larger pic)

Roundel Corrosion (Click image for larger pic)

It looks worse in person.

Obligatory (cell phone) car shot (Click image for larger pic)

Don't beat me up for the poor parking. It was shot in front of my parent's house just before leaving.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

#1 - if your car have gotten the brake light recall done at the dealership, then the dealer probably messed it up on install. I would pose this question to the service advisor to see if they can fix it for you for free. Maybe it is a related part that gets touched as part of the fix.

#2, don't know, but I also have this issue.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-18-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
#1 - if your car have gotten the brake light recall done at the dealership, then the dealer probably messed it up on install. I would lose this question to the service advisor to see if they can fix it for you for free. Maybe a related part that gets touched as part of the fix.

#2, don't know, but I also have this issue.
The incompetence of dealers is phenomenal. How they can f ck up a straightforward recall like this in so many different ways is actually impressive.

For reference, while doing the replacement on my car, they managed to fold the rubber seal around the brake light ... under it. It had to go back a second time to be re-seated, and the seal is bent and creased now

Also, they dropped Loctite on the rear seat and burned the leather Lucky for me I spotted this within 5 mins of leaving the dealership as I needed gas. Lucky for them it landed on the center armrest and that's all they had to replace...

Hope OP gets to the bottom of how that trim piece was damaged.

RE the rear emblem, here's the diagram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2152

Quick search of the p/n shows some detailed pics:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-9...uine-bmw-part/

IND Roundel / Installation
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...runk-roundel-1
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
First, the roof trim cap on the right side has broken off. (A picture below for reference.) Has anyone removed the trim piece and can explain the safe way to lift it without snapping it into pieces? I've reference diagrams, but can't get a proper handle on how it is actually done. I want to order the end cap and replace it myself, if possible.

Second, the trunk roundel has started to show signs of corrosion. Is it secured by the 2 nibs and double-sided tape like the front roundel?

Appreciate the help.

Broken trim cap. (Click image for larger pic)

Roundel Corrosion (Click image for larger pic)

It looks worse in person.

Obligatory (cell phone) car shot (Click image for larger pic)

Don't beat me up for the poor parking. It was shot in front of my parent's house just before leaving.
For the roof

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...oof/1VnXLBZBHo

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...strip/GAKmAIfM
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
The incompetence of dealers is phenomenal. How they can f ck up a straightforward recall like this in so many different ways is actually impressive.

For reference, while doing the replacement on my car, they managed to fold the rubber seal around the brake light ... under it. It had to go back a second time to be re-seated, and the seal is bent and creased now

Also, they dropped Loctite on the rear seat and burned the leather Lucky for me I spotted this within 5 mins of leaving the dealership as I needed gas. Lucky for them it landed on the center armrest and that's all they had to replace...

Hope OP gets to the bottom of how that trim piece was damaged.

RE the rear emblem, here's the diagram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2152

Quick search of the p/n shows some detailed pics:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-9...uine-bmw-part/

IND Roundel / Installation
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...runk-roundel-1
I typically don't make excuses for poor quality worksmanship, but most of these recalls were done during COVID times where everyone is stressed and there's low morale and high work loads.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

I did indeed have the recall done recently. My fault for not scrutinizing that part of the car when picking it up. I was too focused on making sure there were no scratches to the wheels or paint. I didn't notice until in the garage and wiping the back window. I also noticed the right side of the third brake light doesn't seem as secure as the left. I'll be going down to BMW later today or tomorrow and having a word.

These are the reasons I prefer to do my own work when able.

Appreciate the responses.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      08-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
I did indeed have the recall done recently. My fault for not scrutinizing that part of the car when picking it up. I was too focused on making sure there were no scratches to the wheels or paint. I didn't notice until in the garage and wiping the back window. I also noticed the right side of the third brake light doesn't seem as secure as the left. I'll be going down to BMW later today or tomorrow and having a word.

These are the reasons I prefer to do my own work when able.

Appreciate the responses.
did the SA take any pictures of the care during the walk around with you? Ya might have some photo evidence sitting in their files.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

I never posted the conclusion to the broken trim piece. BMW did sort it out. It did take several weeks for it to be ordered, shipped from Germany, and then painted. The service advisor and I laughed at such a small piece of plastic taking all of this to ultimately get done. The bottom line, though, BMW made it right.

I've yet to do anything with the corroded roundel.

Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
I never posted the conclusion to the broken trim piece. BMW did sort it out. It did take several weeks for it to be ordered, shipped from Germany, and then painted. The service advisor and I laughed at such a small piece of plastic taking all of this to ultimately get done. The bottom line, though, BMW made it right.

Did you try to you use a metal polish like Noxon to clean up that roundel?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
In regards to the rear Roundel...someone on another forum just asked this question and when I looked at the part database...there's only one Roundel part nbr listed for the f06/f12/f13...and the QTY column is listed as 2. Which means the same Roundel is used for the hood and the trunk.

So heating up the adhesive (like with a hair blower) will probably soften it so that you can carefully take a pry tool to start lifting it off (just like the front).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7
...the diagram illustration only shows one Roundel (#4 in the diagram)...and the part number index only lists 1 part number and QTY = 2. I would interpret this to mean that the front and rear Roundels are the same.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

What color is your car?
Appreciate 0