BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Rebuilding M6 / S63 engine questions

Hi everyone,

I made my initial post on the general thread but was recommended to post on the M6 thread.

I bought an M6 GC through insurance. Left Front hit and stationary. I was well aware it was going to be a 50/50 toss up getting the thing to run but for the spec and final price it was worth a shot. It has been neat to learn about, my limited engine experience has made the s63 car a rude wake up call with the circuits and computers.

Anyhow, I got to the point of test starting the car and unfortunately I believe the engine is blown. The radiators still leaked after filling up with coolant although I don't think it should've prevented a test start.

Question: Will the circuits sensing the coolant levels prevent the engine from turning even if the starter engages?

I'll attach a video of what I heard, I've been second guessing myself but it sure sounds like the starter to me. I ask because the coolant was absolutely not completely full and hard to know whether the coolant was truly circulating or not. I'm assuming the starter engaging but no crank means seized engine

Thanks Everyone!

Test Start Vid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NYm...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by NGROSSO; 03-11-2021 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:01 AM   #2
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
135
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

well that doesnt sound right....

it certainly sounds like its spining to fast for the starter to be engaging / turning the crank / flywheel
__________________
Current: 2017 M6 Gran Coupe

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #3
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
well that doesnt sound right....

it certainly sounds like its spining to fast for the starter to be engaging / turning the crank / flywheel
To me, that would be fantastic news. Could it potentially be a burnt out starter?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
135
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
To me, that would be fantastic news. Could it potentially be a burnt out starter?
could be, have you had any diagnostic software on it ? bimmerlink or something better like snapon, you will get some codes to start you off i guess
__________________
Current: 2017 M6 Gran Coupe

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
TinCanSailor's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: F06 M6
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 813Bay, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I do not know the part number for our Gran Coupe's but a previous M6 with the S85 that I owned had a link off the battery that would disable power to the ignition. It is a safety measure to prevent the car from starting but does not kill the power to accessories. It will be on the positive side of the battery. That would be the first thing I would check.
__________________
2016 M6 Gran Coupe (Mine)
2013 550i M Sport (Mrs')

Last edited by TinCanSailor; 03-02-2021 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
patchesj
Private First Class
patchesj's Avatar
60
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Are the belts turning on the front of the engine? that will tell you if the starter is engaged or not. Any of the safety circuits would likely prevent the starter from even turning.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
could be, have you had any diagnostic software on it ? bimmerlink or something better like snapon, you will get some codes to start you off i guess
I am going to use bimmerlink to see what I can find. Thank you for the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I do not know the part number for our Gran Coupe's but a previous M6 with the S85 that I owned had a link off the battery that would disable power to the ignition. It is a safety measure to prevent the car from starting but does not kill the power to accessories. It will be on the positive side of the battery. That would be the first thing I would check.
Since the starter seems to function of some sort I assumed that meant ignition had power but it is certainly worth investigating. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Are the belts turning on the front of the engine? that will tell you if the starter is engaged or not. Any of the safety circuits would likely prevent the starter from even turning.

The belts were not turning which made me suspect a seized engine because on initial Impressions I was almost certain the noise made after hitting the ignition was the starter engaging.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:20 AM   #10
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
135
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
The belts were not turning which made me suspect a seized engine because on initial Impressions I was almost certain the noise made after hitting the ignition was the starter engaging.
easy way to check this would be to put a large torque bar on the bottom pulley and attempt to crank by hand, if its siezed you would get no movement. i would expect lumpy resistance when turning due to compression, thats normal.

i would suspect this is starter or something other than a siezed engine
__________________
Current: 2017 M6 Gran Coupe

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
38
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: E90 335i Msport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Mb Canada

iTrader: (0)

Doesn't even sound like it's cranking.. if the engine was locked up, the starter would just click (doesn't sound like the engine doesn't have compression either). This sounds like the starter isn't even connected to the flywheel. Sounds like a regular electric motor spinning on its own If that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
easy way to check this would be to put a large torque bar on the bottom pulley and attempt to crank by hand, if its siezed you would get no movement. i would expect lumpy resistance when turning due to compression, thats normal.

i would suspect this is starter or something other than a siezed engine
Thanks for your continued help, this is much appreciated. I'm probably missing something obvious, but when looking to get down to the bottom pulley it seemed way to tight between the radiators, fans and hoses to actually reach it and get a bar in there.

Is the only option removing parts like the radiator brace and fan to reach it?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecpe View Post
Doesn't even sound like it's cranking.. if the engine was locked up, the starter would just click (doesn't sound like the engine doesn't have compression either). This sounds like the starter isn't even connected to the flywheel. Sounds like a regular electric motor spinning on its own If that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense and that is the way I'm starting to lean as well. The starter is definitely connected to the fly wheel but I'm questioning whether its a burnt out starter or if there is a misconnection somewhere else. Im hoping the OBDII scan I'm waiting on will be able to tell me something on that. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #14
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
38
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: E90 335i Msport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Mb Canada

iTrader: (0)

No problem. Maybe try to take it out and see if the teeth are fine. But definitely sounds like a starter issue
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:40 AM   #15
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
135
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
Thanks for your continued help, this is much appreciated. I'm probably missing something obvious, but when looking to get down to the bottom pulley it seemed way to tight between the radiators, fans and hoses to actually reach it and get a bar in there.

Is the only option removing parts like the radiator brace and fan to reach it?
you could try from underneath, my cars in the dealer so cant check how easy that is
__________________
Current: 2017 M6 Gran Coupe

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
you could try from underneath, my cars in the dealer so cant check how easy that is
Decided to remove front end since I will have to replace a couple radiators anyways. Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
135
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
Decided to remove front end since I will have to replace a couple radiators anyways. Thanks for the tips.
let us know how you get on, seriously doubt the engine is siezed / damaged
__________________
Current: 2017 M6 Gran Coupe

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #18
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
let us know how you get on, seriously doubt the engine is siezed / damaged
Attempted hand turning today and no cigar. I haven't barred an engine before and wasn't sure how much resistance I should feel considering compression although it didn't seem right.. Mechanic coming on Monday to look for himself and hopefully find a different answer.

In the mean time anyone know of certain codes that might tell me something relating to a bad engine? Oil level is good...

It's been neat playing with bimmerlink and seeing all the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #19
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
TinCanSailor's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: F06 M6
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 813Bay, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
Attempted hand turning today and no cigar. I haven't barred an engine before and wasn't sure how much resistance I should feel considering compression although it didn't seem right.. Mechanic coming on Monday to look for himself and hopefully find a different answer.

In the mean time anyone know of certain codes that might tell me something relating to a bad engine? Oil level is good...

It's been neat playing with bimmerlink and seeing all the info.
It could be due to the car being in "Park"/Gear. Were you able to get it in neutral?
__________________
2016 M6 Gran Coupe (Mine)
2013 550i M Sport (Mrs')
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #20
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
It could be due to the car being in "Park"/Gear. Were you able to get it in neutral?
I haven't been able to get it into neutral because it requires the car being started although from what I've read online it seems an automatic should be fine to hand turn while in park. Let me know if this sounds incorrect
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
patchesj
Private First Class
patchesj's Avatar
60
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Uh, if it is a DCT it isn't an automatic... The clutch will be engaged when in "P", it is actually in gear. There is a procedure for forcing to Neutral with engine off.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #22
NGROSSO
New Member
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Uh, if it is a DCT it isn't an automatic... The clutch will be engaged when in "P", it is actually in gear. There is a procedure for forcing to Neutral with engine off.
Noob error on my part. Thanks for the tip. I do remember seeing something about forcing neutral with the DCT although it sounded like you needed to get under the car to do it and remove a bolt from the trans. I'll investigate

Edit: Theres a screw that needs to be screwed in to push a lever forcing the car into neutral. Thanks for the help

Last edited by NGROSSO; 03-05-2021 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST