BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-31-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
biggib
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Xdrive

Purchased 2018 640i Xdrive Gran Coupe

Hello! I just purchased this F06 and it should be arriving tomorrow. I did buy from a third party site, so it is not CPO. Carfax was clean and showed regular maintenance even though it has low miles (less than 20K) for a 2018.

Do you know where I can find a schedule for recommended maintenance for this model and engine type (N55)? I want to stay ahead of the repairs since I am leaning towards NOT getting the extended warranty from BMW.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

There really isn't one. Your iDrive will have oil changes, brake fluid flush and brake pads. But you should basically ignore that other than it's useful to track 2 years for brake fluid flushes. The oil change interval is too long IMO, so do what is comfortable for you. I do a year or 7,500 miles. The brake pad tracker measures nothing but miles and is useless. Just look at the pads yourself. BMW will tell you that the transmission fluid is "lifetime" but ZF who makes the tranny says to change it at about 60,000 miles ( I forget exactly). At those low miles I would probably change the oil because I don't know what last person used, I would flush the brake fluid unless I knew it was recently done because that is based on time, not miles (brake fluid absorbs moisture), and I would at least inspect the engine air filters and cabin air filter. Nothing else really at those miles unless maybe wiper blades.
Appreciate 1
biggib0.00
      06-02-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto on the above post…but just to help understand your new BMW…the service is easy to follow due to the built in CBS (conditioned based service) system that is designed into the vehicle.

Most of the important service/maintenance requirements are monitored by the car and it communicates with you as to services coming due and even if they go overdue. You can also pull up the VEHICLE INFO at anytime (in iDrive to check when a service is coming due). Then when you start to get close (like 3000 miles) or sometimes 6k miles…you’ll get reminders at start up that a service is coming due at an approx mileage given.

Andn depending on the jurisdiction that the vehicle was originally sold…you may even have some statutory inspections (vehicle & emissions). These inspections are preceded with a squiggly line icon. If you don’t hapen to have these statutory inspections where you live…you can manually go into idrive and set those dates far off into the future so that you won’t be bothered by them during the time you’ll probably own the vehicle. If the vehicle is sold to someone else in the future…they can go back into iDrive and change the date of those inspections so tht they get their annual or perinnial inspections.

Below is a pic of the CBS screen in the NBT/ID4 version of iDrive (yours will look similar but slightly different)…you can see that the Brake Fluid service is now overdue (came due in 5/2021) and is preceded with a red icon which means the service is overdue. The amber icon indicates that a service is coming due (in the next month in the pics). You can also see the bottom two inspections have the “squiggly line” icons which are statutory inspections which I don’t need where I live. I eventually set their next due dates out to 2050:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
biggib0.00
      06-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
biggib
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Xdrive

You guys rock! Thank you very much for this info.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 02:24 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

BTW…I think the 2018 model year is 4G compatible and if so…it’s still can use the BMW Connected stuff. See if you can register the vehicle for the BMW Connected app…if so, you’ll be able to communicate with the car over your cell phone…and you also get info from BMW when services are coming due…as well as the local BMW dealership possibly sending you communications (sometimes including discounted pricing for services).

You will also qualify (or soon to) for some of the BMW Value Services which is pretty competitive in pricing for certain services. One services like the 3 yr oil services….breakers down to approx $70 for approx 3 oil services.

Just enter your zip code to find local dealerships that offer the services…then enter your model/model year to see which services are offered and the pricing. If you have multiple dealers in your vicinity…I recommend checking all of them because the services offered and pricing can vary from dealer to dealer:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
biggib0.00
      07-19-2023, 08:12 PM   #6
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

I have a 2017 gran coupe I picked up with 27k miles two years ago. I recommend oil change for sure. Although the oil will “ last” for 1 year or 10k mikes, I always change the oil every 5k miles.

Depending on how your brakes feel, nothing wrong with drag pads and rotors ( very early for rotors to be swapped, but depends on how the previous owner drove it).

Download BimmerCode and search the forums for all the coding options you’re about to unlock …… welcome to the darkside 😈
Appreciate 1
biggib0.00