BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Buying a pre-reg car

So, I've got the possibility of buying a 640d GC at a good discount.

I'ts got just 30 miles on the clock and was only registered by the dealer last month. However, the car was actually built a year ago and has sat in storage

Anyone got any thoughts on buying a car like this? Consider it a new car? Or a one year old car?

Any major updates in the last year that it will be missing?

And what sort of below list price discount would you be looking to get?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Hey there,

I've purchased a 640d GC last month, the car was built Aug 2017, but had been in the dealers stock unregistered until I bought it (picked it up last weekend). I was the first registered keeper and in terms of updates I don't think it is missing any as the main LCI was in 2015, my car has the latest iDrive v6 installed etc.

In terms of discount, up here in Scotland dealers are advertising 24K off list with 0% finance even before you start negotiating.

I would still consider this a new car.
Appreciate 1
chris.t28.00
      07-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi Matt,

personally i have just experienced the same situation. My F06 LCI GC was produced in June 2016 and was a dealer "show car". BMW Switzerland then registered the car in 09-2017 them being thus "officially" 1st owner. Long story short I purchased the car with just 14.000 km at nearly 1/3 of the original price! Car has around 47.000 US $ of extras.... Let you imagine what the new price might have been. Being a show car BMW put nearly every option you could possibly tick!
Now I bought it yes because the price was irresistible but at the same time the car looks like new in and out. By no means you would think this was a showroom car......
Indeed the main LCI stuff came (fortunately) in 2015 thus anything after that pretty much has it all in terms of new technology. A few extra options might have become standard on 2017 and 2018 models I read but that is about it.
Of course other owners please correct or add relevant stuff regarding options, accessories standard or not which you may consider important.

Regards
Cris
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
a.s.uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
So, I've got the possibility of buying a 640d GC at a good discount.

I'ts got just 30 miles on the clock and was only registered by the dealer last month. However, the car was actually built a year ago and has sat in storage

Anyone got any thoughts on buying a car like this? Consider it a new car? Or a one year old car?

Any major updates in the last year that it will be missing?

And what sort of below list price discount would you be looking to get?
Just buy it....stunning car...
Appreciate 1
chris.t28.00
      07-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
matt_320d
Captain
Rep

Incidentally, UK people..what do you think is the right price for a new 640d GC at this point?

Nicely specced (M sport +, Surround view cameras) ..what would you pay?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

There's quite a few going on autotrader for low 40's.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Low 40's is about right really.There is a few cars out there that are pre reg that are in weird specifications in my view.

Mine is similar to the above build date was March 2015, not registered until September 2015 though. I purchased it with 2k on the clock. The only thing you may loose in time is that concierge service won't be available as it is 90 days from build that it activates so you get a little short changed there, all others in regards to connected services operate from first date of registration (it is a strange one).

A lovely car overall.

I know my dealer had 2 pre reg cars in with about 100 miles on, about £42k. One was carbon black the other the more recent sonic blue?

Both were weird specifications though, VDC (not really common), M Sport + pack, Surround View, plus a few other bits.

Personally speaking having driven a car with sports seats and mine with comfort seats, I am glad I went for the comfort seat car over the sports seat which are less comfortable. Maybe the VDC would make it even more comfortable, but the sports seat do feel a little short on comfort IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
matt_320d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Low 40's is about right really.There is a few cars out there that are pre reg that are in weird specifications in my view.

Mine is similar to the above build date was March 2015, not registered until September 2015 though. I purchased it with 2k on the clock. The only thing you may loose in time is that concierge service won't be available as it is 90 days from build that it activates so you get a little short changed there, all others in regards to connected services operate from first date of registration (it is a strange one).

A lovely car overall.

I know my dealer had 2 pre reg cars in with about 100 miles on, about £42k. One was carbon black the other the more recent sonic blue?

Both were weird specifications though, VDC (not really common), M Sport + pack, Surround View, plus a few other bits.

Personally speaking having driven a car with sports seats and mine with comfort seats, I am glad I went for the comfort seat car over the sports seat which are less comfortable. Maybe the VDC would make it even more comfortable, but the sports seat do feel a little short on comfort IMO.
Mate, you're not in Kent by any chance are you? Funny feeling I might have just bought the carbon black car you are mentioning!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #9
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Yes I am, dealer is Barretts (was Broadoak). The car was in Ashford with the blue one for a time when I saw it.

Both were fairly closely specced. I just found it odd as the comfort seat upgrade was not an excessively costly option and seemed bizarre to leave out to me.

VDC is nice though. Just watch the surround view cameras as they can bugger up (usually the cable fails and it is an arse to replace).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:14 AM   #10
matt_320d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Yes I am, dealer is Barretts (was Broadoak). The car was in Ashford with the blue one for a time when I saw it.

Both were fairly closely specced. I just found it odd as the comfort seat upgrade was not an excessively costly option and seemed bizarre to leave out to me.

VDC is nice though. Just watch the surround view cameras as they can bugger up (usually the cable fails and it is an arse to replace).
I just picked up the Carbon black one, on the forecourt for £42,995, but got it for £39k..

The surround view is already malfunctioning I think...flickering and the rear colour contrast is different to the sides.

The seats are ok, slight shame to not have the full comfort seats, I agree, but the overall spec of the car is pretty nice.
Appreciate 0