BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Amarok Highline

Carbon roof

Has anyone fitted a carbon roof to a 640 or 650?

I’ve seen loads retrofitted to e46’s and a few m2’s.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.k View Post
Has anyone fitted a carbon roof to a 640 or 650?

I’ve seen loads retrofitted to e46’s and a few m2’s.
You would probably be better off getting a wrap, you talking about modding the structural integrity of the car... CF is primarily for weight saving especially on the M6 Since is such a heavy car... I am a relative noob but I don’t think the senior are going to even touch this one lol...
Get a 4D or 5D roof wrap for 150 bucks... boom CF roof
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
You would probably be better off getting a wrap, you talking about modding the structural integrity of the car... CF is primarily for weight saving especially on the M6 Since is such a heavy car... I am a relative noob but I don’t think the senior are going to even touch this one lol...
Get a 4D or 5D roof wrap for 150 bucks... boom CF roof
Bmw have just launched a retrofit carbon roof for the 2 series. It’s not that unusual. It’s common with e46’s.

Seems some on here have spent a lot modifying their cars and I was curious.

Im not a fan of carbon wrap. It’s my pet hate.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Swapping a CF roof requires cutting out the stock roof, sourcing an OEM m6 roof/headliner, welding stock m6 support beams, gluing in the OEM roof, then coding out stock moonroof electronics. Total including parts and labor will probably run you around 8-9k. Considering how this will probably hurt your resale value, you would be better off selling your 640/650 and buying an m6.
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

Quote:

Im not a fan of carbon wrap. It’s my pet hate.
fully on board with that
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

yep agreed, it's not an easy job.

The only OEM retrofit BMW has offered (will offer) to date is the F87 M2 carbon roof port/dealer installed retrofit. BMW is charging about $8k to do it.

I will also add, because the structure of the car is going to get modified to make this roof fit, you're at the mercy of how well the shop did the install. You can have a lifetime of creaks and leaks if not properly fitted.

The good news is, the CF roof doesn't have to be custom made. You can fit the M6 roof onto the unibody. The question is, where are you going to get a roof? You're more likely to be able to get a shop to custom make one like RKP or IND cheaper than BMW, which currently is about $2600:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1309018
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528825

Also, what do you mean "loads" of people retrofitting the M2 and E46? These are not cheap jobs. I cannot see that many people doing this to a E46 M3, a car worth no more than $13k these days. The M2 retrofit is still a new concept.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 09-04-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

The only OEM retrofit BMW has offered (will offer) to date is the F87 M2 carbon roof port/dealer installed retrofit. BMW is charging about $8k to do it.

I will also add, because the structure of the car is going to get modified to make this roof fit, you're at the mercy of how well the shop did the install. You can have a lifetime of creaks and leaks if not properly fitted.

The good news is, the CF roof doesn't have to be custom made. You can fit the M6 roof onto the unibody. The question is, where are you going to get a roof? You're more likely to be able to get a shop to custom make one like RKP or IND cheaper than BMW, which currently is about $2600:

Also, what do you mean "loads" of people retrofitting the M2 and E46? These are not cheap jobs. I cannot see that many people doing this to a E46 M3, a car worth no more than $13k these days. The M2 retrofit is still a new concept.

It’s common in the uk for people to fit csl style carbon roofs to a e46 m3.

They have recently shot up but you could buy a clean one for £10k not so long ago.

There are loads of cheap rough ones available that have been badly modified. They weren’t so desirable a few years back as they were common and cheap.

Carbon roof retrofit on a e46 is nothing new in the uk or Europe. It’s also a lot cheaper than what bmw are quoting.

Last edited by Kev.k; 09-04-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

It's common in the uk for people to fit csl style carbon roofs to a e46 m3.

They have recently shot up but you could buy a clean one for £10k not so long ago.

There are loads of cheap rough ones available that have been badly modified. They weren't so desirable a few years back as they were common and cheap.

Carbon roof retrofit on a e46 is nothing new in the uk or Europe. It's also a lot cheaper than what bmw are quoting.
It's been done in the states, but not very common. I was super close to doing this on my e92 335i. If you have the money, plan on keeping the car for a long time, or plan on doing some serious track duty, do it.
Appreciate 0