BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
NorthKing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC

Are these good rims and tires

I ruined mine in a pot hole

Either gonna fix the rims and just get new tires or maybe just get the whole package

Thoughts?
Attached Images

08-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

Rims look good, not sure about the tyres though. I’d spend a bit more on a better make of tyre myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthKing View Post
I ruined mine in a pot hole

Either gonna fix the rims and just get new tires or maybe just get the whole package

Thoughts?
I have a spot here in Dallas that will fix that for about $125ish.... 24hr turn around time...you can change color on all 4 for $360ish...

ACE Alloy I have had before....on a Maxima though...its a "cheaper" wheel, so on the 6er... ehhhh...kinda like putting on a tuxedo... and then some black chuck taylors...

Can you get away with looking decent...sure,

wheels do look damn good though...similar to the Advant Garde series...(then you would be putting a pair of Steve Madden's on with your tux..)
which if you are going to spend almost 1300..I would look into

but that being said...IN MY HEAD..I want a 3D Carbon rear diffuser... IN REALITY...I am about to purchase a replica v style diffuser and not give two F's about what anyone thinks..because at the end of the day... you have to see your car every day and if you are happy...is all that counts...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Oh and if 150- 205 a tire is in your price range... look into the Nitto NT 555G2, much better ride and excellent wet and dry handling with a longer tread life than the Sumitomo's.

Also if you are going to stagger.. I would also consider 20x9 (offset 25-28) f with a 245/35/30 and a 20x10.5 (offset 37-40) with a 285/30/20 for the rear..

Hey if we going to spend the money, i say at least be extremely happy with our purchase... i hate spending a good amount of cheese and get mediocre...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
NorthKing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
Oh and if 150- 205 a tire is in your price range... look into the Nitto NT 555G2, much better ride and excellent wet and dry handling with a longer tread life than the Sumitomo's.

Also if you are going to stagger.. I would also consider 20x9 (offset 25-28) f with a 245/35/30 and a 20x10.5 (offset 37-40) with a 285/30/20 for the rear..

Hey if we going to spend the money, i say at least be extremely happy with our purchase... i hate spending a good amount of cheese and get mediocre...
Thank you so much for the tips

I went the cheap route on rims and got Hankook tires evo 2

We will see what happens

Worst case scenario I sell the rims and fix the originals

Houston
Roads are bad so I didn't want expensive replacements
      08-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
njcamel
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 650i

Hey Everyone!

Not to jack your post, but I just purchased these rims and tires for my 2010 BMW 650i. I put them on tonight and rode around the block. It sounded awful, like grinding metal... So how the hell do I find out if they really "fit?!" I was told these were take-offs from a M6.

Rims are: 20" Advanti DST HY Hybris.
Tires: Yokohama

They went on like a glove. But as soon as I heard the grinding and rubbing, I was scared to go any further. Only drove about 100 feet.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcamel View Post
Hey Everyone!

Not to jack your post, but I just purchased these rims and tires for my 2010 BMW 650i. I put them on tonight and rode around the block. It sounded awful, like grinding metal... So how the hell do I find out if they really "fit?!" I was told these were take-offs from a M6.

They went on like a glove. But as soon as I heard the grinding and rubbing, I was scared to go any further. Only drove about 100 feet.

Any suggestions?
You first need to figure out what is rubbing. Could be rubbing on struts, fenders or even the brake calipers. The types of wheels and brand of tires does not mean anything by itself. They keys are wheel/tire width, and offset. Many people buy wheels without understanding offset. You need to know the width and the offset compared to your original wheels so you understand what parameter has changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

And one other thing. Your wheels may be fine, but if they are designed to take shorter bolts, your bolts may be rubbing inside the hub.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcamel View Post
Hey Everyone!

Any suggestions?
Ditto what Opie55 said...there's too little information to make any recommendations or suggestions. BTW, is a 2010 650i an "e" (e63/e64) nomenclature or an "f" (f06/f12/f13) nomenclature 6 series?

To understand how a wheel will "fit"...requires its width, offset, and "size"...you only gave us its size (20").

We also need the tire's width, aspect ratio, and size...you only gave us its size (20")

If you don't understand what offset is and aspect ratio...just do a simple google/internet search...it's a much discussed topic. Offset is important because it is part of the equation of the wheel & tire's (width) measurement to determine if the wheel/tire combo will rub against suspension and/or body parts.

In the chart below...you can see what the wheel specs are of many old & new BMWs...note how some have a low wheel offset and some have a high wheel offset. Many BMW wheels are the same size...but if their wheel offset is different...they can't be mounted on another model that has the opposite type of offset range...the wheels will either stick out too far...or stick in too much and rub suspension parts and stuff.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0