BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Anyone using BMW Connected App?

How’s it working on our series?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
I use it only to send addresses to my nav and it works ok. The remote functions are so delayed I never started using them
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

I use to send Nav info as well, other than that, it is a bit gimmicky I think. The remote locking could be useful, provided the right situation. Ventilation can be accomplished faster by lowering the windows with the key fob as you approach. The app is slow, but at least BMW has put some effort towards this technology. Lets hope for some updates with new, better features.

L
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
I use to send Nav info as well, other than that, it is a bit gimmicky I think. The remote locking could be useful, provided the right situation. Ventilation can be accomplished faster by lowering the windows with the key fob as you approach. The app is slow, but at least BMW has put some effort towards this technology. Lets hope for some updates with new, better features.

L
Some say gimmick some say shit. I am pretty disappointed with it in general. Like others, I use it send an address from google maps to my car and that's about it. When it was new I used it more, but your phone just does everything better and faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
I misplaced my key when I was in Palm Springs and used it to unlock the car (so I could search for it there). It wasn’t in there, but I thought it was pretty cool that I could unlock my car with my phone. We eventually found the key under a bed. Whew!
Appreciate 1
Derekz4169.00
      08-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

There are two different apps. The older app (BMW Remote) was OK, but the newer app (BMW Connected) improves upon it.

I actually use it quite often. Some of the functions I find valuable:

- Sending an address to the car. If I'm planning a trip somewhere, it's very convenient to use the app's built-in Google Maps to lookup the address and send it to the car. What's also cool? When you get into the car, and the app connects to the car, it'll automatically start navigation guidance to the destination you sent.

- Gas levels. I may be heading to the airport for an early morning flight but haven't driven the car for days - do I have enough gas? Should I fill up tonight? Just pop open the app and check the gas level.

- Mileage. Not often needed, but a few times I've needed to provide the car's mileage it was much more convenient to just open the app versus go out to the car.

- Remote ventilation. Plane lands - as I'm taxing in, I can pop open the app and start the car's ventilation, getting rid of some of the heat that's built up. Same, obviously, holds true in various similar situations - about to leave a restaurant, etc.

- Car location. This was originally limited to something like 1 - 1.5 miles on the old app, but now it's unlimited mileage (between you and the car). Again, useful in the circumstance where you've been traveling for a few weeks and don't quite remember what end of the parking lot you were on. I do like the fact that you can remotely locate the car, regardless of whether you really forgot where you put it!

- Engine oil and tire pressure. Not terribly useful on any routine basis, but useful if you're, again, planning a trip and would just like to check on the basics.

- Service information. When is that next service due and what for?

- Control functions. Did I remember to lock the doors? A quick check will tell you. If not, you can do so. The flashing lights or horn - I've really never used these other than to play with them, but I get that they're potentially useful in a giant parking lot where the car may be beyond the range of the remote.

Overall? I think the Connected app is an improvement. It's not overly fantastic, but I do use the map to nav function frequently, and checking on the gas level is definitely something useful for me as I don't drive the car daily - easy to forget the level.
Appreciate 2
Derekz4169.00
Frupal791.50
      08-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
There are two different apps. The older app (BMW Remote) was OK, but the newer app (BMW Connected) improves upon it.

I actually use it quite often. Some of the functions I find valuable:

- Sending an address to the car. If I'm planning a trip somewhere, it's very convenient to use the app's built-in Google Maps to lookup the address and send it to the car. What's also cool? When you get into the car, and the app connects to the car, it'll automatically start navigation guidance to the destination you sent.

- Gas levels. I may be heading to the airport for an early morning flight but haven't driven the car for days - do I have enough gas? Should I fill up tonight? Just pop open the app and check the gas level.

- Mileage. Not often needed, but a few times I've needed to provide the car's mileage it was much more convenient to just open the app versus go out to the car.

- Remote ventilation. Plane lands - as I'm taxing in, I can pop open the app and start the car's ventilation, getting rid of some of the heat that's built up. Same, obviously, holds true in various similar situations - about to leave a restaurant, etc.

- Car location. This was originally limited to something like 1 - 1.5 miles on the old app, but now it's unlimited mileage (between you and the car). Again, useful in the circumstance where you've been traveling for a few weeks and don't quite remember what end of the parking lot you were on. I do like the fact that you can remotely locate the car, regardless of whether you really forgot where you put it!

- Engine oil and tire pressure. Not terribly useful on any routine basis, but useful if you're, again, planning a trip and would just like to check on the basics.

- Service information. When is that next service due and what for?

- Control functions. Did I remember to lock the doors? A quick check will tell you. If not, you can do so. The flashing lights or horn - I've really never used these other than to play with them, but I get that they're potentially useful in a giant parking lot where the car may be beyond the range of the remote.

Overall? I think the Connected app is an improvement. It's not overly fantastic, but I do use the map to nav function frequently, and checking on the gas level is definitely something useful for me as I don't drive the car daily - easy to forget the level.

I don’t seem to have all of those functions on my connected app. Mine seems limited to locate vehicle, ventilate, start climate timer (no idea what that is), lock, unlock, turn on the lights and beep the horn. I have a 2016, perhaps that’s my problem. Lol. Or perhaps I can enable more features from the car? Hm.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I don’t seem to have all of those functions on my connected app. Mine seems limited to locate vehicle, ventilate, start climate timer (no idea what that is), lock, unlock, turn on the lights and beep the horn. I have a 2016, perhaps that’s my problem. Lol. Or perhaps I can enable more features from the car? Hm.
That’s all I’m able to do as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s all I’m able to do as well.
Perhaps the extra stuff came - like Apple car play - in 2017. Mine doesn’t even give me the car’s mileage. Does yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps the extra stuff came - like Apple car play - in 2017. Mine doesn’t even give me the car’s mileage. Does yours?
No, I don’t see mileage either.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny how much you learn after you buy the car. Lol. It seems to me that those other features might be made available through an app update. If I have some extra time, I might make an appointment with a BMW ‘genius’ to ask about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I met with a BMW genius today to talk about the connected app stuff. The 2016 model does not have the same features as EZ Mass’s 2017 model. So that’s that. Was kind of cool today, when I activated ‘ventilate car’ from inside the Los Felix Costco. Wish there was a way to actually turn on the air!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

It's the little things that drive me crazy with it. Like, it is so close, but then fails. For starters it can take quite a while to send commands like honk lock or unlock. This is great for that time you're in the terminal and just want to make sure it's locked. But I can't see unlocking it remotely except to let someone in, or if you lost your key and need in to get something.

I was kinda excited about the find my car feature which shows you where your car is, but you have to be close to your car for it to work. Something about privacy laws . . . I wanted to see if the dealer moved my car, and another time I wanted to see if the tow company had dropped my car off in the correct spot.

Not big things, but it seems like every feature just lets me down to the point it isn't worth it. A lot of times when I try to send a command the app just times out.

It's like the "web browser" built into the iDrive. I thought hey, that's kinda cool I wonder if I could have facebook up on it, or maybe redosx.com to keep an eye on the team. Turns out the hardware is so overwhelmed google.com is the only thing it could run. Google.com is a pretty simple site on purpose.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant, I just wanted to clarify a few things for those wondering.
Appreciate 1
Russbmw680.00
      08-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Mine's the same.

TBH I find the app pretty useless here in the UK and I rarely use it as a result.

Aside from the flakeyness of the app and connection to the car/servers in general, the locate vehicle either doesn't work at all (more often than not the case) or doesn't work unless the car is literally within eyesight.

The lock/unlock takes so long to do I could probably break into the car quicker with a spoon. The send destination to the car is fairly useful.

I used to have a Viper Smartstart on an old e92 and that was brilliant, all controls were near instant and i could locate the car's exact position (way more accurate than BMW) from literally anywhere in the world - even start it remotely from anywhere if the mood took me.

I really wish the app was better - just get the feeling no-one at BMW really gives a shit about it, or making it better/more useful. I mean, the vehicle location range of 1.5km (allegedly) for any car older than 2015 for "security" reasons is utter bullshit when it's the same car hardware/system.

Last edited by Russbmw; 08-27-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #15
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
It's the little things that drive me crazy with it. Like, it is so close, but then fails. For starters it can take quite a while to send commands like honk lock or unlock. This is great for that time you're in the terminal and just want to make sure it's locked. But I can't see unlocking it remotely except to let someone in, or if you lost your key and need in to get something.

I was kinda excited about the find my car feature which shows you where your car is, but you have to be close to your car for it to work. Something about privacy laws . . . I wanted to see if the dealer moved my car, and another time I wanted to see if the tow company had dropped my car off in the correct spot.

Not big things, but it seems like every feature just lets me down to the point it isn't worth it. A lot of times when I try to send a command the app just times out.

It's like the "web browser" built into the iDrive. I thought hey, that's kinda cool I wonder if I could have facebook up on it, or maybe redosx.com to keep an eye on the team. Turns out the hardware is so overwhelmed google.com is the only thing it could run. Google.com is a pretty simple site on purpose.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant, I just wanted to clarify a few things for those wondering.
That almost exactly sums up my feelings on it!
      08-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

"I was kinda excited about the find my car feature which shows you where your car is, but you have to be close to your car for it to work. Something about privacy laws . . . I wanted to see if the dealer moved my car, and another time I wanted to see if the tow company had dropped my car off in the correct spot"

I just got mine to show me where its at from 20 miles out.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
"I was kinda excited about the find my car feature which shows you where your car is, but you have to be close to your car for it to work. Something about privacy laws . . . I wanted to see if the dealer moved my car, and another time I wanted to see if the tow company had dropped my car off in the correct spot"

How old is your car?
      08-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #18
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
How old is your car?
Its a 2016 5/15 build date
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:

20 miles is pretty good...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its a 2016 5/15 build date
Yeah, that'll be why it works fine.

Anything older than 2015 the location range is utterly pointless. As I said, my 2015 435 I could check the location in the Uk whilst away in Australia!
      08-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #21
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Ahh, yes it must be something that changed in the 2017 model year then. Some of the new functions (mileage, gas, oil level, tire pressure, etc.) weren't available on my old 2014 550xi, but I was using the "BMW Remote" app back then, so I thought the difference may have just been the app, itself. I guess it's more dependent on the car's capabilities.

I've also noted a much improved response time for commands. Similarly, the old limitations on retrieving the car's location were removed - I've checked the location from the other side of the world just fine.

Looks like the latest models have even more features than mine, so I'm glad to see BMW is continuing to invest here. The downside, of course, is that with more connected features, the risk of them being compromised becomes more concerning, especially as you consider potential for bridging the telematics systems with drive-by-wire and engine control systems (which we've already seen demonstrated in certain makes).
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50