BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

No jack or wheel nut tools for our 6ers ?

I was cleaning out some stuff today from my boot and suddenly it occurred to me , where was the jacking and wheel removal kit for my 650? Had I forgotten to get this when I bought the car a year ago from the previous owner.... hmmm damn. Of course I knew the car was fitted with run flats from new ( long gone now thank god) but still assumed there must be a jack right?
I looked in all the usual spots. Yes there was a triangle in the boot lid, the towing hook and odd looking screw driver in a small pouch in the compartment next to the battery but alas no jack or wheel nut wrench. Hmmmm
I consulted the manuals as perhaps BMW had put them somewhere else ..... nope not a mention of a jack or wheel removing kit .... odd
I called my BMW dealership and asked them if this was missing and where would or should it be..... they told me there isn’t a jack or wheel removing kit supplied with the cars now. What! Why not? What if i wanted to remove the wheels and clean them I asked the adviser... ? They were dumbfounded at my question and simply said you would need to bring it to us or a tyre centre to have the wheels removed....
apologies re the long preamble .... my question is, do your 6ers have jacks and wheel removers in the US and Europe supplied? It seems in Aus we are not given them now.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nope, they don't come with them
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
I was cleaning out some stuff today from my boot and suddenly it occurred to me , where was the jacking and wheel removal kit for my 650? Had I forgotten to get this when I bought the car a year ago from the previous owner.... hmmm damn. Of course I knew the car was fitted with run flats from new ( long gone now thank god) but still assumed there must be a jack right?
I looked in all the usual spots. Yes there was a triangle in the boot lid, the towing hook and odd looking screw driver in a small pouch in the compartment next to the battery but alas no jack or wheel nut wrench. Hmmmm
I consulted the manuals as perhaps BMW had put them somewhere else ..... nope not a mention of a jack or wheel removing kit .... odd
I called my BMW dealership and asked them if this was missing and where would or should it be..... they told me there isn't a jack or wheel removing kit supplied with the cars now. What! Why not? What if i wanted to remove the wheels and clean them I asked the adviser... ? They were dumbfounded at my question and simply said you would need to bring it to us or a tyre centre to have the wheels removed....
apologies re the long preamble .... my question is, do your 6ers have jacks and wheel removers in the US and Europe supplied? It seems in Aus we are not given them now.....
The cars came with run flats so there is no need for any of that stuff. Anyone wanting to remove a wheel would use shop impact tools.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:18 AM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
The cars came with run flats so there is no need for any of that stuff. Anyone wanting to remove a wheel would use shop impact tools.
You should never use an impact wrench on BMW locking bolts...ever.
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50
      01-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
... it occurred to me , where was the jacking and wheel removal kit for my 650? ...I knew the car was fitted with run flats from new ( long gone now thank god) but still assumed there must be a jack right?...
As others have already stated...the introduction of run-flat tires has seen the trunk tool kit lose the tire removal tools since the ideology is...the RF tires should allow you to drive to a service shop and have the tire replaced.

Also, DIY'ers usually have the tools at home to remove the tire regardless of the tools that used to come from BMW. Most BMW tire bolts are 17mm (some are 19mm) and a metric socket set and torque wrench or breaker bar can remove the bolts. Also, a DIY'er is probably inclined to have a trolley jack/floor jack at home, too...even though BMW no longer gives us that apparatus either.

In addition, if the owner trades off the run-flats for non run-flats...the conventional wisdom is that they also have taken account that a jack or wheel/tire emergency kit needs to be added to the cost of changing back to conventional tires. Some purchase tire changing kits and/or tire compressor & tire sealant kits...as well as tire repair kit (aka plug kit)...and will make sure they have a road side service that is kept up to date.

You can pull up the tools diagram to see how little is supplied now. In the diagram below...most f06/f12/f13 6 series only get #1, #2, and #3. Item #4 the transmission tool has been discontinued because you have to go underneath the vehicle now (that's another long story). And item #5 is is the wheel bolt adapter (if you have locking wheel bolts):

There's also the "mobility kit" which you can get to help with roadside emergencies. It comes with a 12volt compressor and tire sealant...which may be able to get you to a service center depending on the severity of the tire damage:

BMW used to also sell (as an accessory) a tire changing kit that has a jack and tools to change a tire...but for some reason...they discontinued selling it. You can sometimes find them on the used market:

Or...you can shop around for a spare tire kit like pictured below...I found this link by doing a simple google search: https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/op...are_wheel_kits

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-22-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
JBF650115.50
      01-23-2020, 02:01 AM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
As others have already stated...the introduction of run-flat tires has seen the trunk tool kit lose the tire removal tools since the ideology is...the RF tires should allow you to drive to a service shop and have the tire replaced.

Also, DIY'ers usually have the tools at home to remove the tire regardless of the tools that used to come from BMW. Most BMW tire bolts are 17mm (some are 19mm) and a metric socket set and torque wrench or breaker bar can remove the bolts. Also, a DIY'er is probably inclined to have a trolley jack/floor jack at home, too...even though BMW no longer gives us that apparatus either.

In addition, if the owner trades off the run-flats for non run-flats...the conventional wisdom is that they also have taken account that a jack or wheel/tire emergency kit needs to be added to the cost of changing back to conventional tires. Some purchase tire changing kits and/or tire compressor & tire sealant kits...as well as tire repair kit (aka plug kit)...and will make sure they have a road side service that is kept up to date.

You can pull up the tools diagram to see how little is supplied now. In the diagram below...most f06/f12/f13 6 series only get #1, #2, and #3. Item #4 the transmission tool has been discontinued because you have to go underneath the vehicle now (that's another long story). And item #5 is is the wheel bolt adapter (if you have locking wheel bolts):

There's also the "mobility kit" which you can get to help with roadside emergencies. It comes with a 12volt compressor and tire sealant...which may be able to get you to a service center depending on the severity of the tire damage:

BMW used to also sell (as an accessory) a tire changing kit that has a jack and tools to change a tire...but for some reason...they discontinued selling it. You can sometimes find them on the used market:

Or...you can shop around for a spare tire kit like pictured below...I found this link by doing a simple google search: https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/op...are_wheel_kits

Thanks Qsilver7, much obliged! Indeed run flats make the jack and traditional tools somewhat redundant I get that but I assumed BMW would still put a jack et al with the car. Clearly my assumption was wrong. Yes I do have that small pouch with those little items in them but no traditional jacking equipment. Oh I like that jack! I will look to see if I can track one down.
Since sending the truely awful RTs to the bin and putting on the sublime Michelin pilots Sport I have purchased a can of inflation foam should the unfortunate happen. I have stored this where I thought the jack and wheel removing kit should go.... rather ironic 😉👍🏼
Thanks all
JBF
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Every flat I've ever had was a slow leak caused by a nail, screw, etc. With your pressure monitoring system that type of damage will be alerted before the tire actually goes flat. If you get that type of warning, head to the nearest gas station and pump the tire up as often as necessary to get home or to a repair shop. Even if you have runflats you should do the same.

I always carry a small air compressor in my cars in the rare case where a gas station is not nearby. Much better option than a can of any sealant. One more thing, don't pull the nail, screw, etc out of the tire.

Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50