BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #67
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2893
Rep
3,468
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

I coasted once too.
Appreciate 2
drummr861.00
tigermack473.50
      03-02-2024, 11:32 PM   #68
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Reno

iTrader: (1)

occasional/light towing - used 5.7 tundra or new ford f150 5.0
often/heavy towing - diesel 7.3 ford or 12v ram
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:13 AM   #69
XutvJet
Major General
5549
Rep
5,369
Posts

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Well here you go. Sorry, by memory I was 1 mpg off. 36.8 best on a 50 mile trip. 20 mpg average including city driving and pulling trailers, etc.. Any further questions I can help with?
I can show my M235 getting 49mpg over 30 miles going 60mph on a flat road and then down a 20 mile minor grade, essentially coasting. That car is rated at 28mpg highway. The car consistently gets 22mpg combined over the last 8 years.

Point being, you're being a bit misleading. That Suburban definitely gets great mpg for what it is, but in 70mph+ highway driving with some minor grades and a little bit of wind, it ain't seeing 38mpg. Maybe low 30s on a good day and more like upper 20s. I've read some forums and watched a couple YT videos because I was a bit taken back that a Suburban could get such good mpg. The best I saw a tester get was almost 32mpg over a 30 mile flat grade drive at 70mph.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 01:41 PM   #70
BlkGS
Captain
BlkGS's Avatar
1132
Rep
924
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I can show my M235 getting 49mpg over 30 miles going 60mph on a flat road and then down a 20 mile minor grade, essentially coasting. That car is rated at 28mpg highway. The car consistently gets 22mpg combined over the last 8 years.

Point being, you're being a bit misleading. That Suburban definitely gets great mpg for what it is, but in 70mph+ highway driving with some minor grades and a little bit of wind, it ain't seeing 38mpg. Maybe low 30s on a good day and more like upper 20s. I've read some forums and watched a couple YT videos because I was a bit taken back that a Suburban could get such good mpg. The best I saw a tester get was almost 32mpg over a 30 mile flat grade drive at 70mph.
I think you not recognizing how amazing upper 20a out of a beast like that in those conditions is a bit misleading.

Our Expedition gets 21mpg highway. In flat ass Florida at 80or somon the highway. A diesel suburban getting 50% more mpg is nuts. And Expedition is the duel economy champ in that class other than the diesel.

We strongly considered diesel Tahoeburban but didn't for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is GM's idiotic packages. I wanted an RST with all the options. I hate chrome and shiny metal like that, and wanted it blacked out. RST blacks it out but doesn't offer critical features like cooled seats, and for a long time didn't offer radar cruise. Pre ier offered the options but no blackout package, and a kinda old person interior. We could have gone GMC Denali, but didn't like the styling on those as much. Reason 2 was how insane diesel prices were. Despite the fuel economy gains, it was never going to break even vs regular unleaded at 21mpg. Diesel prices have come down some since then, so maybe there's a cost effectiveness now, I haven't looked.

Reason 3 that wasn't as big a deal was how tall the hood was. It was taller than my wife. She didn't like that. I'd have thrown lowering springs in, but Expedition had a much lower hood and an overall more cost effective package for us, so we ended up.withba loaded limited stealth.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:48 PM   #71
tigermack
OPN DIFF
tigermack's Avatar
Hong Kong
474
Rep
1,908
Posts

Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Well here you go. Sorry, by memory I was 1 mpg off. 36.8 best on a 50 mile trip. 20 mpg average including city driving and pulling trailers, etc.. Any further questions I can help with?
I’ve gotten 40% over the EPA estimate when I am going under speed limit rolling in traffic… your avg says 19.3.
__________________
'10 LB E90 slicktop/speed cloth/6MT
ex. '06 330i 6MT & '10 n54 6MT Msport

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:23 AM   #72
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
360
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I coasted once too.
As you can see from the picture; it was over a 50 mile trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:30 AM   #73
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
360
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
Iíve gotten 40% over the EPA estimate when I am going under speed limit rolling in trafficÖ your avg says 19.3.
I post a picture and still have these bullshit trollers.

I mean it's in the picture.... Best mileage was upper 30's over a 50 mile trip. I always drive 5..10 mph over, and I assure you here in WI there are no long, 50 mile downhill grades upon which to coast. The average of course includes highway and city as well as numerous trips pulling a loaded enclosed car hauler. I live 8 minutes from my office, so I'm also not putting on extended highway miles each day that would skew the average upwards.

Argue away..... I'll watch.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      03-04-2024, 08:34 AM   #74
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
360
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I think you not recognizing how amazing upper 20a out of a beast like that in those conditions is a bit misleading.

Our Expedition gets 21mpg highway. In flat ass Florida at 80or somon the highway. A diesel suburban getting 50% more mpg is nuts. And Expedition is the duel economy champ in that class other than the diesel.

We strongly considered diesel Tahoeburban but didn't for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is GM's idiotic packages. I wanted an RST with all the options. I hate chrome and shiny metal like that, and wanted it blacked out. RST blacks it out but doesn't offer critical features like cooled seats, and for a long time didn't offer radar cruise. Pre ier offered the options but no blackout package, and a kinda old person interior. We could have gone GMC Denali, but didn't like the styling on those as much. Reason 2 was how insane diesel prices were. Despite the fuel economy gains, it was never going to break even vs regular unleaded at 21mpg. Diesel prices have come down some since then, so maybe there's a cost effectiveness now, I haven't looked.

Reason 3 that wasn't as big a deal was how tall the hood was. It was taller than my wife. She didn't like that. I'd have thrown lowering springs in, but Expedition had a much lower hood and an overall more cost effective package for us, so we ended up.withba loaded limited stealth.

This was exactly my situation and I "settled" for the RST. I wanted it blacked out but then gave up the active suspension and other features that were not available on that trim. The main reason I chose the diesel was the towing characteristics and mileage. It tows better than the 6.0 ltr 3/4 ton Suburban gasser I had previously.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST