BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Hard to say as I'm anti-social as fuck so. However in FL we have lived in the same community for 12 years. I've only really talked to the neighbor across the street because he's a social butterfly and seems to know everyone in the community. Everyone that walks down the street stops to talk with him if he's outside. So he's always coming over to talk to me when I'm doing stuff outside. The other neighbors I have never spoken to except one who decided to talk to me for the first time maybe like 1 or 2 years ago when I was outside working on something. Since then haven't really talked to him any more but we do wave when we see each other.

They do have community events for holidays and what not, but like I said, I'm anti-social and have never been to any of them. Some people wave, some don't, but overall most people in the community seem friendly enough.

In NC I can only see the neighbors house on one side which also happens to be the family of the lady we purchased the house from and she also lives there now. We are friendly enough, we don't hang out or anything but we wave and small talk every so often. The neighbor across the street I have never seen. I'm told it's an elderly man and I see people come visit him and take care of his property but I have never seen him or spoken to him. I cannot see any of the other neighbors and have never spoken with them.

I will say people out in the wild seem friendlier in NC than they do in FL (at least my specific areas). Like out at the stores, restaurants etc. Lot's of grumpy old people and very loud obnoxious people from NY in my part of FL.
What a coincidence. Our town crier lives across the street too. Very nice guy and keeps me posted.
      08-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #24
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Unfortunately 20 years in the same community. We always chit-chat with one young family next door and a couple of others on the street but they're all a lot younger and starting families. The neighborhood has changed a lot. A lot of drama has moved in and created problems in the back of the community. Typical stupid shit.

We mostly stay inside during the summer because of the heat/humidity. I don't feel like shooting the shit sweating my ass off just before dinner if ya know what I mean.

We're more social when the weather cools as it's just more pleasant to be outside.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Hard to say as I'm anti-social as fuck so. However in FL we have lived in the same community for 12 years. I've only really talked to the neighbor across the street because he's a social butterfly and seems to know everyone in the community. Everyone that walks down the street stops to talk with him if he's outside. So he's always coming over to talk to me when I'm doing stuff outside. The other neighbors I have never spoken to except one who decided to talk to me for the first time maybe like 1 or 2 years ago when I was outside working on something. Since then haven't really talked to him any more but we do wave when we see each other.

They do have community events for holidays and what not, but like I said, I'm anti-social and have never been to any of them. Some people wave, some don't, but overall most people in the community seem friendly enough.

In NC I can only see the neighbors house on one side which also happens to be the family of the lady we purchased the house from and she also lives there now. We are friendly enough, we don't hang out or anything but we wave and small talk every so often. The neighbor across the street I have never seen. I'm told it's an elderly man and I see people come visit him and take care of his property but I have never seen him or spoken to him. I cannot see any of the other neighbors and have never spoken with them.

I will say people out in the wild seem friendlier in NC than they do in FL (at least my specific areas). Like out at the stores, restaurants etc. Lot's of grumpy old people and very loud obnoxious people from NY in my part of FL.
Quote:
Hard to say as I'm anti-social as fuck so..
A woman bought the house next to us about 7 yrs ago and I was talking to her as she gardened one Sat afternoon. She told me she was anti social but then really opened up after that statement, which I found interesting. She told me about growing up in Germany and her Mom being an alcoholic. She worked for Disney for many years - as an artist - she drew up the rides and exhibits (amazing) - and owned several rental homes in the area. She was really good at landscaping I noticed - arranging various plants around the home. We had a really nice and interestingly transparent conversation. She was widowed I believe. I never spoke to her again - as she only appeared on very rare occasions to visit her daughter who would live in the home. Then, in about a years time random cars began to show up at the house for 20 mins and leave. This went on at all hours of the day and night. Having been born and raised in the area these cars seemed out of place as did the drivers. My first born sons room was closest to that side of the yard so I would see these rando people walk to the house and leave. Eventually I caught on to what the daughter was doing, and decided I didn't like that element present next to our home where I was raising my family. I got in touch with a drug enforcement unit. Then, one morning as I was driving my son to preschool - the daughter ran through a stop sign as I approached the same intersection, ashing her cigarette out of the sun roof at about double the speed limit. This sent a chill up my spine for a variety of reasons. A week later I'm driving home at 8am after dropping off my son at preschool and the daughters car is on parked oddly in her yard, the car is still running and she's in the car slouched over. I decide to text the officer and they respond "be there in 5." I peak out of a window after taking a shower and getting dressed and the daughter is in cuffs with 5 squad cars in her driveway. Turns out they find coke, pills etc etc - notebook with transactions.

Our other neighbor is a lawyer and told me not only was she now in jail she had a long wrap sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 3
Tommy-G4467.00
vreihen1614889.50
overcoil3068.50
      08-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #26
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

A woman bought the house next to us about 7 yrs ago and I was talking to her as she gardened one Sat afternoon. She told me she was anti social but then really opened up after that statement, which I found interesting. She told me about growing up in Germany and her Mom being an alcoholic. She worked for Disney for many years - as an artist - she drew up the rides and exhibits (amazing) - and owned several rental homes in the area. She was really good at landscaping I noticed - arranging various plants around the home. We had a really nice and interestingly transparent conversation. She was widowed I believe. I never spoke to her again - as she only appeared on very rare occasions to visit her daughter who would live in the home. Then, in about a years time random cars began to show up at the house for 20 mins and leave. This went on at all hours of the day and night. Having been born and raised in the area these cars seemed out of place as did the drivers. My first born sons room was closest to that side of the yard so I would see these rando people walk to the house and leave. Eventually I caught on to what the daughter was doing, and decided I didn't like that element present next to our home where I was raising my family. I got in touch with a drug enforcement unit. Then, one morning as I was driving my son to preschool - the daughter ran through a stop sign as I approached the same intersection, ashing her cigarette out of the sun roof at about double the speed limit. This sent a chill up my spine for a variety of reasons. A week later I'm driving home at 8am after dropping off my son at preschool and the daughters car is on parked oddly in her yard, the car is still running and she's in the car slouched over. I decide to text the officer and they respond "be there in 5." I peak out of a window after taking a shower and getting dressed and the daughter is in cuffs with 5 squad cars in her driveway. Turns out they find coke, pills etc etc - notebook with transactions.

Our other neighbor is a lawyer and told me not only was she now in jail she had a long wrap sheet.
I was told my house was a grow house before I bought it. Owner got raided one day. Luckily the house basically gutted and redone inside when we bought it. Not sure if it was the original owner or if it was bought by an investment group who redid it but I'm sure it was an exciting day for the neighbors when swat showed up.
Appreciate 3
Tommy-G4467.00
RickFLM410880.50
      08-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #27
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Now we are getting some stories
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410880.50
paquet629.50
      08-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #28
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Californians are the most bat-sh*t crazy people anywhere....
FTFY. Seriously, do not make eye contact, do not strike up a convo in the checkout line. You will regret it. Sucks, frankly. You really have to choose your friends/acquaintences carefully here.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #29
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

We call it Saturday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Todd0131379.50
vreihen1614889.50
Tommy-G4467.00
2000cs3447.00
GjXray111.50
paquet629.50
      08-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #30
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Now we are getting some stories
Here's another one:

My former next door neighbor was arrested for insurance fraud. He took money for a workers comp policy and never placed it. Then someone got hurt operating a crane and there was no policy. A week after he was arrested (which we didn't hear about until a lot later), he was in our house for my wife's birthday party and I distinctly remember talking to him about work and how well his business was going. No shit - keep money no expense. Well, other than the arrest. He kept driving out every morning and waving like he was going to work even through his insurance license was suspended.

A couple of years later, our doorbell rang and the police were looking for him. I realized I hadn't seen him in a while. He didn't show up to a hearing and became a fugitive. The officer told me this wasn't the first time he had to track this guy down. The first time, he said the guy was hiding under the bed and he had to pull him out by his leg. I think the officer went around telling that story to everyone who opened the door.

The house was eventually foreclosed but they got a huge cash settlement from insurance for a hurricane claim and never replaced the roof and they stayed in that house for over 7 years before finally getting booted out.
vreihen1614889.50
Tommy-G4467.00
      08-13-2022, 12:39 PM   #31
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
We call it Saturday.
Beautiful

What part of the country? I'm usually on my phone and can't see locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Webb View Post
Quote:
FTFY. Seriously, do not make eye contact, do not strike up a convo in the checkout line. You will regret it. Sucks, frankly. You really have to choose your friends/acquaintences carefully here.
It really is that bad there. It's almost as if people are so overwhelmed by how overcrowded it is - if they pretend not to see other then maybe they don't exist.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #32
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
We call it Saturday.
Beautiful

What part of the country? I'm usually on my phone and can't see locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Webb View Post
Quote:
It really is that bad there. It's almost as if people are so overwhelmed by how overcrowded it is - if they pretend not to see others then maybe they don't exist.
Birmingham AL
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #33
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

We live on a cul-de-sac and get together with most of us and a few of the people on the street at the end of the cul-de-sac for a pot luck and to grill burgers & hot dogs a couple of times a year.

We also do a big 4th of July get-togther where we do a good hour straight of fireworks (just the legal ground based stuff), one neighboor does a big Christmas display with a hot cocoa social one night around the holidays, while we do a big haunted dungeon for Halloween every year.

I'd say that we get ~70% participation for the various parties.
      08-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #34
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Old neighborhood in Nola, we all knew each other well and had porch parties at each other's house. Here in SC, also very friendly but I think we are the oldest folks in the development which is only 60 homes. Know all our neighbors though on one side they are pretty quiet folks, home schooling kids etc. Everyone else, very outgoing, have drinks at their house often. Neighbor on the other side is super nice, loves cigars like me so we hit it off quickly.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #35
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
We live on a cul-de-sac and get together with most of us and a few of the people on the street at the end of the cul-de-sac for a pot luck and to grill burgers & hot dogs a couple of times a year.

We also do a big 4th of July get-togther where we do a good hour straight of fireworks (just the legal ground based stuff), one neighboor does a big Christmas display with a hot cocoa social one night around the holidays, while we do a big haunted dungeon for Halloween every year.

I'd say that we get ~70% participation for the various parties.
Our street closes during Halloween - thousands of kids arrive - one neighbor has a massive animatronics collection and sets up the biggest halloween display I've ever conceived of.

As another member pointed out - the cooler weather does bring people out more.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #36
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Here's another one:

My former next door neighbor was arrested for insurance fraud. He took money for a workers comp policy and never placed it. Then someone got hurt operating a crane and there was no policy. A week after he was arrested (which we didn't hear about until a lot later), he was in our house for my wife's birthday party and I distinctly remember talking to him about work and how well his business was going. No shit - keep money no expense. Well, other than the arrest. He kept driving out every morning and waving like he was going to work even through his insurance license was suspended.

A couple of years later, our doorbell rang and the police were looking for him. I realized I hadn't seen him in a while. He didn't show up to a hearing and became a fugitive. The officer told me this wasn't the first time he had to track this guy down. The first time, he said the guy was hiding under the bed and he had to pull him out by his leg. I think the officer went around telling that story to everyone who opened the door.

The house was eventually foreclosed but they got a huge cash settlement from insurance for a hurricane claim and never replaced the roof and they stayed in that house for over 7 years before finally getting booted out.
I couldn’t imagine running like that all the time regardless how much money I got from it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #37
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'm not sure if it's because the Mighty Dodge has "damn yankee" NY license plates, because some of them are seasonal residents, or that they just don't care and southern hospitality is a myth. [...]
lol....this reminds of when I was TDY in NC back in 2009. I was at Lowes looking for mat'l to rig something with and saw an older lady that looked like she needed help. You all know how that normally goes so I offered her help and got her what she needed.

She politely thanked me and said, "You're not from around here are you? You have an accent.".

Me being me jokingly responded w/ something like I'm in town on business and everyone I've met had an accent except me.

She laughed and then asked where home was and I said Chicago. lol....her face sunk and she visibly recoiled while gasping "That's Obama country."

I laughed and said I didn't vote for him. Like a switch, she then snapped back to the polite, engaged person she was previously. Even recommended a good Thai restaurant in town.

Where I am, people are mostly friendly. Neighbor's wife will engage in convo but the husband mostly doesn't make eye contact or say anything (once in a while he'll talk but rarely). Retired couple nearby never say or wave hi on their own much less to reciprocate. Everyone else always waves even if they don't know you or are from an adjacent subdivision. Most people don't hang out with each other, though. We have big lots so I'm sure that factors in.
paquet629.50
      08-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #38
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
But reminded me I need to call CHP to tag that car my neighbor pushed out onto the street IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE

This is the one who threw a crescent wrench and spark plugs thru my front window when I reported his car repair business to the county.
Our neighborhood is friendly for the most part, with a few oddballs mixed in. The closest oddball lives on a corner, yet parks 2 of his cars in front of the house across the street from him. Makes no sense, considering he lives on a corner and has at least 5 unoccupied street parking spaces, not to mention his driveway.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4467.00
      08-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #39
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Our neighborhood is friendly for the most part, with a few oddballs mixed in. The closest oddball lives on a corner, yet parks 2 of his cars in front of the house across the street from him. Makes no sense, considering he lives on a corner and has at least 5 unoccupied street parking spaces, not to mention his driveway.
He's asserting his right to park on a public street where ever he wants. Sounds like an asshat to me.

We have a neighbor or two like that. Leave the space in front of their house open and park in front of somebody else while also leaving their own driveway empty.
      08-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Small cul-de-sac. Quiet and mostly friendly. Some children, who are pretty respectful. Been here almost 31 years. When my kids were little they played in the street but were also respectful of other people and their property.
      08-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #41
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
He's asserting his right to park on a public street where ever he wants. Sounds like an asshat to me.

We have a neighbor or two like that. Leave the space in front of their house open and park in front of somebody else while also leaving their own driveway empty.
Asshat is right on. He was out walking his grandkid a few months ago and allowed the little brat to climb the embankment/cliff on our property and in front of our house. This activity is not only trespassing, it also knocks pebbles and rocks onto the sidewalk, resulting in a pedestrian hazard. My wife thoroughly chewed him out after she observed the behavior. He backed down and called back the brat.

Some folks know no boundaries.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #42
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Small cul-de-sac. Quiet and mostly friendly. Some children, who are pretty respectful. Been here almost 31 years. When my kids were little they played in the street but were also respectful of other people and their property.
I’ll never forget, my parents bought their house in NJ in 78 for $37k 😳
We rolled Penni’s on the weekends to buy a pizza but I played in street and was always friendly with all the neighbors. Most families are still there. The parents may have passed and the kids bought or moved in but 31 years in the same place is very rare these days
Appreciate 2
Esteban42218.50
      08-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #43
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Here is kind of a video history of Halloween at our house...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KLAfCcqSsD8BGs
      08-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Asshat is right on. He was out walking his grandkid a few months ago and allowed the little brat to climb the embankment/cliff on our property and in front of our house. This activity is not only trespassing, it also knocks pebbles and rocks onto the sidewalk, resulting in a pedestrian hazard. My wife thoroughly chewed him out after she observed the behavior. He backed down and called back the brat.

Some folks know no boundaries.
Not the kid's fault. If they are not taught to respect other people's property, then they will NOT respect it. It's the grandfather's responsibility to tell his grandchild "get down, that is not your property."

I was out the other day and a grandfather was walking with his two little grandchildren and they came to a house where there is a swing tied to a tree in the front yard. One of the kids went in the yard to go to the swing and the grandfather said "that's not ours, you can't go there," and the kid instantly listened and came back to the grandfather and they continued on their walk.

When little kids are disrespectful it's the parent's, or in your case, grandparent's fault, as I'm sure you are aware. Those kind of people piss me off.