BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d | E60 M5 | E66 730d

3G combox sunsetting - retrofit options for F13?

Hi,

I notice on https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...00249-9999.pdf the F12 and F13 are listed as in-scope for a retrofit, though no details are given as to model years / HU system etc. The optimistic side of me says "all of them" however being more realistic I'm thinking it might be only certain years/models/variants.

Has anyone had experience of this retrofit on their 6 series? Or has anyone explored it and reached a dead end?

How about any UK-based owners - we apparently have until January 2023 until our network providers start shutting down 3G services - has anyone approached their BMW dealer and/or BMW UK about this (6 series or otherwise)?

Fyi. I've just renewed my ConnectedDrive subscription: both 6 month and 12 month options were available to purchase.. which seemed odd with this looming on the horizon..?

Last edited by SpikySimonW; 07-02-2022 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 04:07 AM   #2
DMike
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

As I read the document, it covers any MYs of the listed vehicles, but in NA only. I sent a question to my local Connected Drive team, citing the SB.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #3
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d | E60 M5 | E66 730d

Overall I see this as a three stage thing:

Q1. Is it technically possible/feasible to 'fix'?
Q2. If so, for which models/variants have BMW developed a solution?
Q3. If available for a given model, are BMW picking up the bill for the retrofit (ie. recall-like)?

My take on things:

A1. Of course it is: modular system so just the comm bit(s) need swapping out (2G/3G to 4G) and likely a reprogram of relating modules to support. Or, as a half-way house, the system could be reprogrammed to direct network data via a bluetooth tethered phone - this would at least allow some things to continue to work while driving the vehicle (eg. RTTI).

A2. Comes down to cost pure and simple. Do BMW feel it's worthwhile doing?

A3. Again comes down to cost and whether BMW feel an obligation to keep these service going x years beyond point of sale, remembering when this issue first raised its head in the US (geographically where 3G services first started to be depreciated) some customers had "out of date" vehicles just a few years old that they were still paying for! But it is a fact that technology moves on and BMW must draw a line somewhere.

= I cited the BMW NA note as I'm looking for evidence of point number 2 - whether BMW has indeed developed a solution for our 6 series and if so for which specific MY and variants. If this IS the case then I'm hopeful it will be available in other countries, either per point 3 or as a cost option (eg. all about RTTI for me: personally I'd be happy paying an hour or two BMW labour for a recode to have my system continue with RTTI via Bluetooth). However if our US friends have found this NOT to be the case then I think we've precisely zero chance of petitioning BMW to suddenly change their mind and develop a solution.. so I won't waste my time thinking about it any further

Last edited by SpikySimonW; 07-02-2022 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
DMike
Finland
Rep

Local BMW replied that when the 3G shuts down, 2G, still in use here, will take over. It will be slower.

Took a look with ISTA/D and my 640’s ICC-ID is neither of those listed in the US SIB. Does anyone know, how to differentiate between those comboxes that require hw update from those in which a sw update is available?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

Some info from the UK…

—Email 1

Thanks for emailing BMW ConnectedDrive.

Due to the introduction of new 5G mobile technologies, mobile network operators are starting to end the operation of older standards such as 3G. The BMW Group always strives to use the best possible technical solutions at the time of vehicle development. However, the discontinuation of the 3G network is starting to impact certain BMW ConnectedDrive services.
In BMW vehicles fitted with a 3G SIM card, Online Entertainment and Over-the-Air Map Updates are no longer offered. Map updates can still be completed using the My BMW online portal and a USB stick.

Although the 3G network is being discontinued, the 2G network will remain. This means that services such as Real Time Traffic Information, Weather updates and Concierge will still be available but they will operate with slightly slower response times.
All other BMW ConnectedDrive services, such as BMW Intelligent Emergency Call, Remote Services and BMW Online will remain available.

I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause, but I hope this clarifies the situation.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get back in touch.

—Email 2

You'll still be able to send destinations to your BMW via the My BMW app and use the Points of Interest function with the 3G sunset.

As the US don't have the option for a 2G alternative they were offered a retrofit to be able to use 4G. This isn't being offered in the UK as 2G is available.

I hope this is helpful and if there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
Appreciate 1
MoFoHo27.00
      07-30-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
DMike
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP007 View Post
Some info from the UK…

—Email 1

Thanks for emailing BMW ConnectedDrive.

Due to the introduction of new 5G mobile technologies, mobile network operators are starting to end the operation of older standards such as 3G. The BMW Group always strives to use the best possible technical solutions at the time of vehicle development. However, the discontinuation of the 3G network is starting to impact certain BMW ConnectedDrive services.
In BMW vehicles fitted with a 3G SIM card, Online Entertainment and Over-the-Air Map Updates are no longer offered. Map updates can still be completed using the My BMW online portal and a USB stick.

Although the 3G network is being discontinued, the 2G network will remain. This means that services such as Real Time Traffic Information, Weather updates and Concierge will still be available but they will operate with slightly slower response times.
All other BMW ConnectedDrive services, such as BMW Intelligent Emergency Call, Remote Services and BMW Online will remain available.

I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause, but I hope this clarifies the situation.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get back in touch.

—Email 2

You'll still be able to send destinations to your BMW via the My BMW app and use the Points of Interest function with the 3G sunset.

As the US don't have the option for a 2G alternative they were offered a retrofit to be able to use 4G. This isn't being offered in the UK as 2G is available.

I hope this is helpful and if there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
This was essentally the same as I received in my response. Tried to look around in ISTA but couldn’t find any clue wether it would - if I was to do the update - a sw, or hw plus sw update.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #7
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Reprogramming for 4G complete

Great post. Thank you. I will be calling BMW Monday.

Update: Had appointment today (am in SoCal), they were able to reprogram with no new equipment needed. They are no longer using AT&T, I learned.
2017 640i GC built 3/16

Last edited by FlyinLowSD; 08-11-2022 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0