BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

LCI Screen Install

A brief write-up of my screen upgrade, as searching around I found morsels of info, but no annotated guide. Hopefully helps someone!

Here's what I bought:
First off, props to @KrazyKorean - top seller! Bought the screen and backplate from him. Looks like he trimmed the fins off the backplate so the LCI screen sat in there flush.

This alone will clear up a lot of questions people have on performing this upgrade:

LCI Screen
Numbers on the back are 7401B00114000 / YZ1507260035 / 1380
I found this part number works: 9332412

Here is a link to order one for c$350 shipped

LCI Backplate
Numbers on back are F12/03032018/9380963 02/16-03-430
I found this part number works 65509380963
Here is a link to order one for c$40, but Google results show lots of places which have these

Total cost c.$400
Total time approx 45mins

Tools:
> Trim removal plastic tools
> Torx screwdrivers

Resources:
Couldn't have done it without these threads 1, 2 and 3, and an even better write up than mine on the first few steps

Process:
> Start by prying up the trim below the guage cluster. Insert two trim removal tools as shown by the arrows, and gently pry the cover up, and towards you. After a little jiggling the entire thing literally popped off and caught air. Needed a little force.

> Next, pull the carbon fiber trim (with air vents etc) away from the dash. Start by inserting your trim tool near the engine start button (where you just removed the plastic cover from the previous step). Work your away from the steering wheel to glovebox direction. This comes out really easily. Minimal force required

> Remove the connector for the engine start button. At this point I had a towel ready to let the trim panel sit on, and I didn't have to unplug any more harnesses.

> Remove the two torx screws from below the screen

> The trickiest part, removing the screen itself. After reading and re-reading the guides and trying to gently pull the screen, I found the following worked best: insert two pry tools behind the metal tabs below the screen:

> Lever these and you'll hear the clicks of the screen coming loose from the housing. Keep jiggling them and pushing them in further, while gently pulling the screen up and towards you. With this process, it was a cinch to get the old screen out.

> Remove the pink connector. This was a bugger. Trim tools helped again. The rest of the harness wire is snapped into another hole in the screen. Save your fingers and gently pry with a trim tool

> From here it's plain sailing. Old screen out and backplates for comparison (old one at the top, new one with trimmed fins at the bottom)

> Remove the 2 torx screws in the old backing plate and pull away. Click the new plate in place and re-install the screws

> Place the LCI screen into position and push into place. Put the 2 torx screws back in, below the screen

> Plug the engine start button in, and test the screen is operating as it should.

> Align the carbon vent trim into place, and gently push till it clicks into position

> Lastly, align the tabs for the cluster trim and gently push into place until that clicks also. Job done

Another super easy install. The daunting aspect to me was pulling apart expensive carbon trim pieces on an expensive car, but once you know where to unclip them, the install is a breeze and can be done in about 20mins.

Last edited by MMMM6GC; 07-18-2020 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Fantastic write-up.
Definitely saving this for later.

Thanks!
Oh, and yeah - it looks great!

- Leo.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Thanks man! I think for the price and the ease of process, it's definitely worth doing to update the interior.

I've got a few other write-ups coming up over the next few weeks as I found an easy process to upload pics, and this forum is really stable for making pic-heavy posts.

BTW For anyone coming across this thread, my car is a 2014 F06
Appreciate 0