BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

Winshield Tints?

Anyone have this done? I wanted to get some UV protection ( 80%) because I am in SoCal. The Sun can get brutal, but my concern in the HUD showing double or being skewed afterwards. I know we have a special windshield to prevent this from happening, but didn't know if tint would have any effect on it. I've seen a few threads on other forums that were hit and miss, so I wanted to ask here
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3 View Post
Anyone have this done? I wanted to get some UV protection ( 80%) because I am in SoCal. The Sun can get brutal, but my concern in the HUD showing double or being skewed afterwards. I know we have a special windshield to prevent this from happening, but didn't know if tint would have any effect on it. I've seen a few threads on other forums that were hit and miss, so I wanted to ask here
Just got mine done two days ago, no issue
Appreciate 1
ep322.50
      07-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
ep3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Just got mine done two days ago, no issue
This is good to know. Much appreciated! What percentage? Thoughts? Got any pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:04 AM   #4
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
This is good to know. Much appreciated! What percentage? Thoughts? Got any pics?
I got my car out of the detail shop after 3 days of works and I just barely took it out for drive tonight. I am not sure the attached pictures will give you any idea on the shade level.

My tint is pretty dark it's probably either the darkest or right below it. The tint film is from LLumar and I think the one that was used on mine was the highest grade version but I could be wrong, I will need to confirm the name of the film because there were a few variations with the brand.

Nonetheless, I don't think you will have any issue with HUD from tinting your windshield. HUD was ultra-clean with zero interference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ep322.50
      07-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I have 20% on my side windows and rear window, 55% on the windshield. My goal was simply to have heat rejection not only to keep the interior cooler overall, but to preserve the full leather dash from warping in high heat.

Visually there is a subtle difference but not much, and I didn't really want there to be as windshield tint is illegal in Minnesota. I also think once you go too dark, it makes nighttime visibility more difficult. Think of wearing sunglasses with a very light tint to them versus a very dark tint, and then putting them on at night.

07-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Anmolbains23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

35% front windshield on my 6GC, I have 15% on the sides as well.

From my experience if you don't want any trouble with it looking super dark or hard to see out of go with 50% on the windshield.

35%, You can tell it's tinted in person, and on roads with no street lights it's little challenging.

Personally I love the 35% and have had it on for 3+ years now.

All personal preference in the end.
I'm a big fan of super dark tints.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
TT BT
The cars we drive say a lot about us.
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M850i

Quote:
i did 3m Crystalline on my 5 series 1 week ago,no problems whatsoever with the HUD, BUT...its not what i expected.I have regular 3m tints on the windows 25%, and still when i get in the car i can barely touch anything that is metal.On my m6 i'm using the windshield sunshade and i'm much happier. Not sure if the car color has to do anything,m6 is white 5 series is black but ....i know for sure next time if i do something it will be either Crystalline all around or regular tints and sunshade.
      07-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Guys with tint - I know this has been asked before, but did you have any luck with covering the dot matrix with tint? Any tips/tricks, films that have worked well?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Guys with tint - I know this has been asked before, but did you have any luck with covering the dot matrix with tint? Any tips/tricks, films that have worked well?

It always looks crappy from what I've seen and been told. I've had my tint done 2x now and it still has spots where it rises up.

This does make me consider tinting my windshield though, although I'd consider 50% and up only.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
ep3
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies all. This is the news I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
It always looks crappy from what I've seen and been told. I've had my tint done 2x now and it still has spots where it rises up.

This does make me consider tinting my windshield though, although I'd consider 50% and up only.
I used 3M Film all around and the dot matrix doesn't get a clean seal EXCEPT my windshield has a perfect seal. Which seems odd, I would think all dot matrices would be created equal but apparently not