BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

are all rep lips the same?

i'm going to be ordering my fifth rep lip given their build quality/my ride height/LA streets. the one i've ordered several times (https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542) seems to simply have a very thin, single layer of CF overlaying an FRP body. it's very flimsy, with the overall material + clear coat not being very durable. i'm assuming most of these ebay reps come from the same factory in china, though, i'm curious - are there any reps that are still reasonably priced but built a little better? or should i just shell out the money to get a brand-name with great build quality? i'd only be looking for the style in the ebay link i posted above.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan View Post
i'm going to be ordering my fifth rep lip given their build quality/my ride height/LA streets. the one i've ordered several times (https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542) seems to simply have a very thin, single layer of CF overlaying an FRP body. it's very flimsy, with the overall material + clear coat not being very durable. i'm assuming most of these ebay reps come from the same factory in china, though, i'm curious - are there any reps that are still reasonably priced but built a little better? or should i just shell out the money to get a brand-name with great build quality? i'd only be looking for the style in the ebay link i posted above.

TIA!
Have you looked at rw carbon ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
phan
Private
Rep

i have not. i'm assuming they're better quality than the ebay reps and cost a little more...? i mean, i could have purchased a real vorsteiner for what i've spent on all of the reps but i had no idea they'd fall apart THIS easily.

i'll take a look at rw carbon, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i have not. i'm assuming they're better quality than the ebay reps and cost a little more...? i mean, i could have purchased a real vorsteiner for what i've spent on all of the reps but i had no idea they'd fall apart THIS easily.

i'll take a look at rw carbon, thank you!
Them and autoteknic... all quality stuff, usually more than half the price of the big timers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

don't waste your money, the real cf is just as flimsy ive noticed. just stay with the cheaper solution for your lower cf parts, it hurts less when you need to re order them when they smash into something. unless you will be protecting your real cf, say intakes, or interior parts, go with the cheap stuff. it is still CF over the FRP.

I would say that it probably all comes from 2-3 major factories in china, even the real CF is made there too. I have personally seen genuine vorsteiner diffusers have terrible fitment, and seen rep ones fit better, its all about how often the mold is recast/ cycles of mold usage.

As a side not too, the RW carbon and generally speaking the style you are looking for are almost all identical. there is no difference between the RW carbon style and the ebay rep. i have had both sitting in my garage as backups for my current lip. broke the rep version, changed styles and bought the RW on sale for cheap as a backup again.
      02-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
phan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
don't waste your money, the real cf is just as flimsy ive noticed. just stay with the cheaper solution for your lower cf parts, it hurts less when you need to re order them when they smash into something. unless you will be protecting your real cf, say intakes, or interior parts, go with the cheap stuff. it is still CF over the FRP.

I would say that it probably all comes from 2-3 major factories in china, even the real CF is made there too. I have personally seen genuine vorsteiner diffusers have terrible fitment, and seen rep ones fit better, its all about how often the mold is recast/ cycles of mold usage.

As a side not too, the RW carbon and generally speaking the style you are looking for are almost all identical. there is no difference between the RW carbon style and the ebay rep. i have had both sitting in my garage as backups for my current lip. broke the rep version, changed styles and bought the RW on sale for cheap as a backup again.
really appreciate this response. more than anything, i've noticed the clear coat over the top "CF" cracks easily, stupidly so, and figured that would be non-existent in some of the more expensive reps (i thought they were better built). my currently lip is stil in decent condition, it's the clear that's cracking that bothers the hell out of me. that's what i'm trying to combat more than anything as i'm fairly careful despite ride height and LA roads being...LA roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
really appreciate this response. more than anything, i've noticed the clear coat over the top "CF" cracks easily, stupidly so, and figured that would be non-existent in some of the more expensive reps (i thought they were better built). my currently lip is stil in decent condition, it's the clear that's cracking that bothers the hell out of me. that's what i'm trying to combat more than anything as i'm fairly careful despite ride height and LA roads being...LA roads.
I have not seen any reps in the boston area have cracking clear, must be all the perfect weather in LA! to remedy the cracking you can sand the material down prior to installation and seal the whole lip in a very good high quality clear at a body shop, and then XPEL wrap the lip. i did that to mine and its very resilient even to rock chips, not resilient however to hitting the road

Post a pic of the cracking too, it will help to understand if it could be UV related, or impact related from rock chips.

The real CF from Vorsteiner or other companies use an epoxy that is very thick, it is like a gel coat on a boat. it has a tendency to yellow, cloud, and crack if it is improperly mixed/ poor quality product.

Eventuri had this problem on a set of intakes they offered. they offered at one time blue CF intake tubes with blue cf housings. however i did a full restoration on these and found that it is regular black CF and blue tinted epoxy over the standard epoxy. this tinted epoxy is not heat resistant and yellows in the engine bay.

I will post pics of that process soon, one i complete the tube restoration, the filter housing are completed.
      02-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
phan
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have not seen any reps in the boston area have cracking clear, must be all the perfect weather in LA! to remedy the cracking you can sand the material down prior to installation and seal the whole lip in a very good high quality clear at a body shop, and then XPEL wrap the lip. i did that to mine and its very resilient even to rock chips, not resilient however to hitting the road

Post a pic of the cracking too, it will help to understand if it could be UV related, or impact related from rock chips.

The real CF from Vorsteiner or other companies use an epoxy that is very thick, it is like a gel coat on a boat. it has a tendency to yellow, cloud, and crack if it is improperly mixed/ poor quality product.

Eventuri had this problem on a set of intakes they offered. they offered at one time blue CF intake tubes with blue cf housings. however i did a full restoration on these and found that it is regular black CF and blue tinted epoxy over the standard epoxy. this tinted epoxy is not heat resistant and yellows in the engine bay.

I will post pics of that process soon, one i complete the tube restoration, the filter housing are completed.
i'll definitely take and post pics when i get a chance. one thing i've also noticed is that the top "CF" part of the lip seems to easily separate from the FRP body. one of the lips i've gone through has had this on the underside too, with minimal scraping. i'd seriously just like to get something that's built a little better and won't come apart if you look at it wrong, it's rather annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i'll definitely take and post pics when i get a chance. one thing i've also noticed is that the top "CF" part of the lip seems to easily separate from the FRP body. one of the lips i've gone through has had this on the underside too, with minimal scraping. i'd seriously just like to get something that's built a little better and won't come apart if you look at it wrong, it's rather annoying.
Hmm that is rather strange for it to separate from the FRP body. perhaps there is a manufacturing flaw somewhere there. I know one of my lips was epoxied very well, my first one was very well done. my second seems to be clear coated, and i can actually move the weave underneath it. I chipped the edges from driving off a small cliff, and it actually broke a chunk of clear off, without damaging the CF portion. I will try to capture a small video or picture to show what i have seen. I purchase from jc sportline or spec-m on ebay, the spec-m had some fitment issues sometimes, i went through 3 of their lips, and they were epoxy finished though. my jc sportline version is clear coated. both same styles. yet different process in manufacturing. luckily you can refinish the part if not damaged, and it will be fine
      02-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
phan
Private
Rep

yea, i've purchased from jc sportline on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183037749335

three of the lips have separated; the CF from the FRP on top, and the FRP itself separates at the front seam on the underside of the lip (this has happened twice).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yea, i've purchased from jc sportline on ebay:

three of the lips have separated; the CF from the FRP on top, and the FRP itself separates at the front seam on the underside of the lip (this has happened twice).
oh wow!. that is the lip i currently have on, mine has seen abuse too! I have never separated the FRP on them though, that sounds very hard to do, i mean i have bottomed out plenty with these lips and they dont even crack through, just scrape. someone once crashed into my lip and the lip took the hit well, i mean it was destroyed, but it help together well.

How old are the lips, maybe you got a bad set from some bad materials involved? Its very interesting to try to figure out what is causing your FRP to break down so fast. it should really last forever, in the environment its in, so unless there is some really bad process error being made, it seems really hard for them to break apart just by being there.
      02-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
phan
Private
Rep

Quote:
oh wow!. that is the lip i currently have on, mine has seen abuse too! I have never separated the FRP on them though, that sounds very hard to do, i mean i have bottomed out plenty with these lips and they dont even crack through, just scrape. someone once crashed into my lip and the lip took the hit well, i mean it was destroyed, but it help together well.

How old are the lips, maybe you got a bad set from some bad materials involved? Its very interesting to try to figure out what is causing your FRP to break down so fast. it should really last forever, in the environment its in, so unless there is some really bad process error being made, it seems really hard for them to break apart just by being there.
they were all purchased last year, 2019. i'll send pics of the splitting later as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #13
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
there are two type of vorsteiner style front lip,

one is open from middle i think and another one same as original vorsteiner the close one and coming small,

check the 2 links they are not same

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542

what i need is the close one not open in the middle, but afraid to order and it will come open
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542 this one
      02-17-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Rw plain weave
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #15
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Rw plain weave
Do you have a link for the seller?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
there are two type of vorsteiner style front lip,

one is open from middle i think and another one same as original vorsteiner the close one and coming small,

check the 2 links they are not same

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542

what i need is the close one not open in the middle, but afraid to order and it will come open
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312734463542 this one
Has anyone spoke or contacted JC Sportline regarding the build defect? I like that lip but don't feel like replacing it for the reason of a defect.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Rw plain weave
Do you have a link for the seller?