BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

BMS oil catch cans installed

Hey guys ,just wanted to share some pics of the oil catch cans I installed,
As you may know our PCV system witch is the crank ventilation hoses they are piped directly into our air intake tubes ,so all this heat and oil mist from blow by is coating our intake system with oil ,so the cold side of the turbo and the intercoolers overtime can get oil in them and oil lowers octane.

Another thing is our cars have direct fuel injection so the fuel injectors spray directly over the piston being a more efficient ,the bad thing is the intake valves get crusted and caked with carbon overtime and some engines need there intake valves to be walnut blasted to be cleaned,Its a bad design but they dont care,Then you have Port injection engines they dont have this problem the fuel injectors spray across the intake valves always cleaning them but its not as efficient in making power, I believe some manufacturers now are combining both doing a port/direct injection system to alleviate this problem

So the oil that is being vented into our intake system will just contribute into crusting up the intake valves, this is were the oil catch can comes into play ,the vent tube gets routed into the catch can so if there is any oil it will fall and get trapped in the can then clean air going back into the intake system.

For anyone interested
The system I got was from BMS and you can only use it with aftermarket intakes stock intakes won't fit but if your creative you can use any catch can that fits and you need 2 with fittings hoses etc,it was fairly easy to install took me around 2 hours taking my time, they provide instructions,I recommend getting a hose cutter I used a sharp knife and it was a pain to cut straight.
You can use catch cans on any engine but recommended for turbo/forced induction engines and highly recommended for tuned turbo engines.
They recommend cleaning the catch cans at every oil change ,you can just reach under and unscrew the bottom half clean and reinstall.
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
BadSeed158.00
      02-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Nice! Was just just thinking about these the other day but I dont have aftermarket intakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKC View Post
Nice! Was just just thinking about these the other day but I dont have aftermarket intakes.
There is a vid on youtube a guy with stock intakes routed hoses to the front in center of the engine ,he put 2 OCC together in a custom made bracket
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
There is a vid on youtube a guy with stock intakes routed hoses to the front in center of the engine ,he put 2 OCC together in a custom made bracket
Can you link me the video?
I'm in the same situation: oem intake but considering a catch can system
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

http://https://youtu.be/hhcfjD5jyt8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
Can you link me the video?
I'm in the same situation: oem intake but considering a catch can system
I’m not really a fan of how it’s done , seems like too much hose , but I give him an A for effort
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:00 AM   #6
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
http://https://youtu.be/hhcfjD5jyt8

I’m not really a fan of how it’s done , seems like too much hose , but I give him an A for effort
Thank you, this video is a good starting point!

Does the feed and return line need to be as short as possible for the system to work correctly?

I think that with the oem intake this is the only way to go
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:25 AM   #7
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I used to do oil catch cans back in the 2000's. So over 10 years ago. Boy time flies! I never really noticed a difference. But then again, I had not kept the cars for a super long time. I wonder if this really make a difference long-term if you are using fuel additives and cleaners such as Seafoam. That's kind of why I stopped using them.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I used to do oil catch cans back in the 2000's. So over 10 years ago. Boy time flies! I never really noticed a difference. But then again, I had not kept the cars for a super long time. I wonder if this really make a difference long-term if you are using fuel additives and cleaners such as Seafoam. That's kind of why I stopped using them.
Well, AFAIK the only problem with the original PCV hoses is that it goes straight to the intake pipe near the turbo.

You can keep you car good and healthy as possibile (premium gasoline/additives/oil change every 10k km) but the problem is that the oil residue still builds up and go straight into the turbos and in the intake.

I'm personally not a fan of that, beside the fact that with direct injection there's nothing that can clean the intake valve, so the residue of oil will stay there forever and continue to limit the amount of air flow.

I think i'm going to try build something like the author of the youtube video, i have not access to a 3d printer but i've saw there's some mounting thread in the front bracket so a small alluminium/metal plate will work just as good.

The only problem is that most of the smallest catch can comes with an embarassing 1/2" fittings and the hoses in the car are between 7/8" to 1-1/8"
Appreciate 1
K737.50
      02-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you go to the M5 forums I seen some pics of the oil residue splashed into the turbo housings ,so that means oil is getting into the intercoolers coating the whole intake system, if your running a tune and your in high boost and some oil gets pulled into the intake and mixes with the fuel it lowers your octane,
There is a check valve in the factory PCV valves if that fails it might not be good ,so all in all the catch are really not needed but a great fail safe and keep your intakes clean
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

What are your thoughts for a regular, non-tuned car?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #11
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

I've just removed the air-box from my M6 (non-tuned, only down-pipe).
All of the piping were coated with oil, even in the section before the pcv hoses.
The air box in front of the turbos have a puddle inside.
I've immediatly bought two catch cans
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
I've just removed the air-box from my M6 (non-tuned, only down-pipe).
All of the piping were coated with oil, even in the section before the pcv hoses.
The air box in front of the turbos have a puddle inside.
I've immediatly bought two catch cans
I know this is a bad design as is direct injection , but what ever makes emissions is all they care about , they will make us pay for it ,unfortunately most cars are like this , oil catch cans are becoming even more popular as most cars are getting turbos and some kind of forced induction.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I feel some engines are worse than others , It might depend on how well the engine was broken in , this might determine how bad blow by might be , adding oil catch cans definitely cannot hurt even on a stock car it’s still boosted
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Quote:
I feel some engines are worse than others , It might depend on how well the engine was broken in , this might determine how bad blow by might be , adding oil catch cans definitely cannot hurt even on a stock car it’s still boosted
What carbon intakes are those and do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennyd View Post
What carbon intakes are those and do you have a link?
RK autowerks
https://www.rkautowerks.com/index.ph...-intakes-copy/
Appreciate 0