BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Roccaas
Mid life crisis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
Putting car cover on while the fan is still running?

When I put the car away and the fan is still running, will the fan pull air from under the car, or suffocate trying to pull through the cover’s fabric? Thanks
      04-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I think you are ok. When a car is stationary there is not much air moving through the grill anyway. But you cover your car every day? Inside? Frankly, I'd be worried I was doing more harm than good because you are sliding all the grit from driving across the paint surface when you move the cloth. I'd think you'd end up with micro-scratches like from washing.
Appreciate 1
Havy292.00
      04-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

As Opie55 said I wouldn’t drag the cover every day over the car either. And as long as the fan is running leave the kidney uncovered otherwise you create a heat accumulation.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
Roccaas
Mid life crisis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
I should have stated that this is a weekend driver, more washed than driven. Usually the fan is running after I park the car in an open carport after a wash.

Unfortunately the neighborhood is over run with feral cats. They like a soft fabric to crap on, so I’d rather have to soak the cover than get cat crap off of the convertible top.

Why cats do this I don’t understand, they loved to crap on the cover on my boat every week at the marina. Nasty animals.

Anyway, I will leave the grills uncovered until the fan (fans?) cut off.
Appreciate 1
Havy292.00
      04-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Maybe just clip a clothespin in the grill and hang the cover over.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I always use a microfiber mop to dust the car off before laying down the cover. I also roll the cover when removing in such a way that the exposed surface is on the inside when stowed, and then I unroll in reverse, so that the contaminated side does not have contact with the paint. Think: Drake's Yodel. Pull left and right sides up and over the car lengthwise, then roll from hood to trunk. Stow in trunk. When reinstalling, lay the cover on top of the trunk with the tail down. Using both hands at left and right, let out some slack, then launch the 'yodel' over the roof as thoughyyou were shooting hoops. It'll roll back down to the hood, then pull the sides down and affix front and back.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 04-10-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0