BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
polar993
Legend
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

Stock Exhaust vs Eisenmann Race. Not loud at all! Sounds like an Eisenmann Sport!

I had an Eisenmann Race Exhaust installed yesterday on my Alpina B6.

Based on many YouTube videos I’ve seen, I was worried that it was going to be too loud. I actually bought a set of valves to install on them to reduce the sound if it was too loud. I decided not to install the valves. Plan was to see if I really needed them. Turns out, I definitely DO NOT need them, as the Eisenmann Race is remarkably quiet!!!

Checkout this video if Before and After.

You’ll hear how quiet this Eisenmann Race is! I am disappointed that it’s so quiet! It’s barely louder than stock! It doesn’t sound like a Race Exhaust to me! Would like your opinions.

Could Eisenmann have mixed up my exhaust and sent me a Sport version by accident? Unlikely, but I’m amazed how quiet this Eisenmann Race is!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

First of all congratulations. I find the sound amazing. Much more deeper and more growl. And yes, you don’t need a valve. You have to drive through a tunnel with the windows down and than hit it an you will hear the great sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

If you have the rear mufflers only you still have a lot of restriction prior to the mufflers. If you notice there is a resonator right before the exhausts. When I had my Megan Supremo installed I felt the same. I went back had them cut out that resonator and replace with straight pipes ( some do an x pipe). But opened up the sound of the system much more. I would try that if the Alpina has that there. I am going to bring up an thread so you can see what I am talking about.

I was happy with that sound. Was definitely more aggressive than before but not super aggressive. I recently but in my downpipes and the car is really super aggressive now, but not obnoxious. I would definitely do the stages approach and see what you like best.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      03-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
First of all congratulations. I find the sound amazing. Much more deeper and more growl. And yes, you don’t need a valve. You have to drive through a tunnel with the windows down and than hit it an you will hear the great sound.
I agree with Havy. Also you have to get someone to drive the car for you, and watch it drive off ( make sure you get someone that is going to come back lol) and you will really notice the difference. Driving the car you won’t be able to tell the diff too much on the inside, sounds the same really. Do this first, then remove the back resonator 2nd and repeat and I think you will like the sound that you achieve.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      03-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

polar993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
Downpipes installed, Megan Supremo Exhaust, rear resonator deleted. Happy Face, Evil Laugh.

Before the downpipes

The before the downpipes vid is with the rear resonator removed also.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
polar993
Legend
Rep

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you guys find the Eisenmann Race to be a nice upgrade. I think it sounds okay, but I’m disappointed that it’s not louder. I was really expecting it to be much louder.

I guess you guys don’t think that Eisenmann may have mistakenly given a Sport Exhaust?

Bosewicht, your setup sounds badass! Those downpipes are insane! Amazing sound, but too loud for my daily use.

Maybe I’ll try the resonator delete or x-pipe. An x-pipe might give me a bit more volume, but do you think it will make the sound more “raspy”? That’s what I’m after, a more raspy sound.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar993 View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you guys find the Eisenmann Race to be a nice upgrade. I think it sounds okay, but I’m disappointed that it’s not louder. I was really expecting it to be much louder.

I guess you guys don’t think that Eisenmann may have mistakenly given a Sport Exhaust?

Bosewicht, your setup sounds badass! Those downpipes are insane! Amazing sound, but too loud for my daily use.

Maybe I’ll try the resonator delete or x-pipe. An x-pipe might give me a bit more volume, but do you think it will make the sound more “raspy”? That’s what I’m after, a more raspy sound.
Yea just delete that rear resonator and you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
polar993
Legend
Rep

Should I go for an x-pipe or should I just have a shop fabricate straight pipes to delete my rear resonator?

Supersprint has this x-pipe, and I believe both Eisenmann and Meistershaft also have x-pipes.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...ipe-v1.aspx#!/

Any sound difference between an x-pipe vs straight pipes on our cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Are you planning on doing downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Should I go for an x-pipe or should I just have a shop fabricate straight pipes to delete my rear resonator?

Supersprint has this x-pipe, and I believe both Eisenmann and Meistershaft also have x-pipes.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...ipe-v1.aspx#!/

Any sound difference between an x-pipe vs straight pipes on our cars?
My last information are that a H-pipe gives your more of a deep sound whereas a x-pipe goes in direction of a metallic sound.

While both X and H pipes serve the same purpose, they use different methods to build power and economy, all while providing a distinctive sound. Think of an X-Pipe as being at home in a high-winding modern V6 or V8 while an H-Pipe conjures memories of tire-shredding torque in classic American iron.
Source
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I agree with the other comments here, the other thing I will add is, you also need to remove your ASD once you get a new exhaust. ASD is funky when it's paired with an aftermarket exhaust. I removed the ASD with my Akra and it sounded much cleaner. It won't get louder but the sound will be crisper instead of muffled.

I also agree that if you only did axel back, the sound difference will be minimal. You need a full cat-back (from downpipes downward) to unlock the sound.

I still find it odd that you decided to do any exhaust. IMO, part of the point of getting an Alpina is for that distinct Alpina driving experience including the distinct sound.
      03-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Are you planning on doing downpipes?
I think downpipes, catless or catted, will be too loud for my taste. They sound amazing, but I park my car daily in an indoor parking garage and I think it will be too loud if I do downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
My last information are that a H-pipe gives your more of a deep sound whereas a x-pipe goes in direction of a metallic sound.

While both X and H pipes serve the same purpose, they use different methods to build power and economy, all while providing a distinctive sound. Think of an X-Pipe as being at home in a high-winding modern V6 or V8 while an H-Pipe conjures memories of tire-shredding torque in classic American iron.
Source
Yes, I understand the difference between x-pipes and h-pipes. I am not considering an h-pipe.

I am considering an x-pipe or simple straight pipes. What are people’s experience here?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I agree with the other comments here, the other thing I will add is, you also need to remove your ASD once you get a new exhaust. ASD is funky when it's paired with an aftermarket exhaust. I removed the ASD with my Akra and it sounded much cleaner. It won't get louder but the sound will be crisper instead of muffled.

I also agree that if you only did axel back, the sound difference will be minimal. You need a full cat-back (from downpipes downward) to unlock the sound.

I still find it odd that you decided to do any exhaust. IMO, part of the point of getting an Alpina is for that distinct Alpina driving experience including the distinct sound.
I assume I need to get the car coded to remove the ASD? I think the ASD is adding muffled sound inside the cabin. There’s a very low frequency tone that I’m hearing, which may be the ASD. I’d like to get rid of it completely.

I know a few of you have questioned why I would ever modify an Alpina B6 Gran Coupe. My response to that is that I love the OEM Alpina, and the entire reason why I bought it over an M6 GC is to get the AWD. I live in the Northeast, and I need AWD for my daily driving though the winter.

While I liked the OEM Alpina B6, I found it to be a bit too soft and plush. I wanted to make it a bit more aggressive and raw, without affecting the overall driving dynamics of the car. I feel I’ve accomplished this with the H&R VTF Springs, that are not too stiff and don’t compromise the great ride quality of the Alpina. I want to improve the sound of the exhaust because the OEM Alpina Exhaust is just too quiet. It’s basically the same exhaust that comes on a standard 650i. There’s nothing “special” about the way Alpina tuned their standard exhaust. I wish I had the ability to get the Akrapovic directly from Alpina, but that’s not an option for us here in the States.

So my intention of improving the sound is to get a nice aggressive sounding exhaust without it being too loud. I was afraid the Eisenmann Race was going to be too loud, but in fact it’s not quite loud enough for me. It’s just a bit louder than stock....I’d say about 20% louder. Perhaps removing the center resonator will be my final exhaust modification....at least I hope so!

I just need to decide if I buy an expensive prefabricated x-pipe, or have a muffler shop make a set of straight pipes for me.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I assume I need to get the car coded to remove the ASD? I think the ASD is adding muffled sound inside the cabin. There’s a very low frequency tone that I’m hearing, which may be the ASD. I’d like to get rid of it completely.

I know a few of you have questioned why I would ever modify an Alpina B6 Gran Coupe. My response to that is that I love the OEM Alpina, and the entire reason why I bought it over an M6 GC is to get the AWD. I live in the Northeast, and I need AWD for my daily driving though the winter.

While I liked the OEM Alpina B6, I found it to be a bit too soft and plush. I wanted to make it a bit more aggressive and raw, without affecting the overall driving dynamics of the car. I feel I’ve accomplished this with the H&R VTF Springs, that are not too stiff and don’t compromise the great ride quality of the Alpina. I want to improve the sound of the exhaust because the OEM Alpina Exhaust is just too quiet. It’s basically the same exhaust that comes on a standard 650i. There’s nothing “special” about the way Alpina tuned their standard exhaust. I wish I had the ability to get the Akrapovic directly from Alpina, but that’s not an option for us here in the States.

So my intention of improving the sound is to get a nice aggressive sounding exhaust without it being too loud. I was afraid the Eisenmann Race was going to be too loud, but in fact it’s not quite loud enough for me. It’s just a bit louder than stock....I’d say about 20% louder. Perhaps removing the center resonator will be my final exhaust modification....at least I hope so!

I just need to decide if I buy an expensive prefabricated x-pipe, or have a muffler shop make a set of straight pipes for me.
Go get the straight pipes first, that shouldn't be any more than $75 installed. See how you like it then decide on an X or H, no need to go big money and then not like it.
Like "Flying" I was in accordance about modifying the Alpina at first also...I also wanted my exhaust note beefier than stock, I think you will be happy with removing that rear resonator..remember to make your final sound judgement outside of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

You can code ASD out or you can simply unclip the module in the trunk. Here's a DIY:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444547

Your ASD will be coded with the B6 sound. When you switch to another exhaust, it just won't sound correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You can code ASD out or you can simply unclip the module in the trunk. Here's a DIY:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444547

Your ASD will be coded with the B6 sound. When you switch to another exhaust, it just won't sound correct.
Thanks for the tip on how to disconnect the ASD in the trunk. I don't know how to code the car myself, and I don't know anyone who does coding, so I'll probably try this route of physically disconnecting the ASD.

Right now it's really hard to tell what sound is coming from the ASD through the speakers. I hear a low frequency drone, while cruising at low RPMs, and that sound may be the ASD....or it may actually be the Eisenmann. I guess I'll know once I disconnect the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Sorry guys, does the B6 and M6 have an ASD???
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry guys, does the B6 and M6 have an ASD???
yes.... Luckily for the Gran Coupe, it's easily accessible on the top of the trunk. In the coupe and F10 5 Series, you need to take your trunk liner out.
      03-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
polar993
Legend
Rep

Flying Ace, I went to disconnect my ASD, but I could t find it!

Either I’m looking in the wrong place, or the Alpina doesn’t have one.

Checkout the pic and let me know if I’m looking in the wrong place.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

uh oh! looks like yours is in the left liner area of the trunk around where the wheel arch is. Check out that DIY again, you'll see the location on a F10. It should be within 8 inches of where that wire bundle is going towards on the left side of your picture.
      03-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
polar993
Legend
Rep

I thought it might be in there....though strange that Alpina would switch the location to where it's located on the F10. I'll check there and report back.

What are your thoughts on the ASD bypass harness? I guess the only thing it does is prevent an ASD fault if your car goes in for service.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

Thanks again for the advice.
Appreciate 0