BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 E60 M5 F82 M4 F85 X5M

M6 coupe/gran coupe buying advice

Guys, I’m in the market hunting for 15/16 m6 either in coupe or gran coupe . Is there any must have options that you need to have it? Is there huge difference between comp and on comp package m6? Ccb a must or nah?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Nothing is a "must". All depends on your needs and likes. Probably the biggest question you need to answer is coupe vs. gran coupe! That is kind of a big deal as they are quite different in terms of space.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

You may also want to read some of the posts here regarding some serious issues and engine failures people have had with relatively new, low mileage, non-tracked and non-abused M6s.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Here is information on difference between comp and non-comp. The biggest difference is the steering rack and stiffer suspension. You'll never notice the power bump as it's at the top of the rev range. 2016+ comp package is 600 hp instead of 575. Base M6 are all 560 hp.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

Regarding CCBs, IMO, it comes down to current mileage and how long you're keeping the car. Most used M6s will be around 20k-50k in mileage. CCBs needs changing around 70k or so. The problem is the cost for a full change is $12k. If you're not going to pay for it, the next owner will significantly discount the purchase price because you're giving him a $12k liability. You need to be more price conscience if you're buying a CCB car that already has 50k to 60k on the clock as you'll be the next owner to change the CCBs in a year or two. And no, you cannot simply mount steel replacements on, completely different hardware such as servo unit, calipers and misc bolts and clips.
      08-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Here is information on difference between comp and non-comp. The biggest difference is the steering rack and stiffer suspension. You'll never notice the power bump as it's at the top of the rev range. 2016+ comp package is 600 hp instead of 575. Base M6 are all 560 hp.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

Regarding CCBs, IMO, it comes down to current mileage and how long you're keeping the car. Most used M6s will be around 20k-50k in mileage. CCBs needs changing around 70k or so. The problem is the cost for a full change is $12k. If you're not going to pay for it, the next owner will significantly discount the purchase price because you're giving him a $12k liability. You need to be more price conscience if you're buying a CCB car that already has 50k to 60k on the clock as you'll be the next owner to change the CCBs in a year or two. And no, you cannot simply mount steel replacements on, completely different hardware such as servo unit, calipers and misc bolts and clips.

Where did you get the idea ccbs 70k? Plenty hit 100k street use
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagmail View Post
Where did you get the idea ccbs 70k? Plenty hit 100k street use
It varies, but I've personally seen a few CBS clocks putting the first change around 70k. The CBS estimates pad wear, and ultimately the best way to measure rotor wear is to weigh them or use the carbotech tool.
      08-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasa View Post
Guys, I’m in the market hunting for 15/16 m6 either in coupe or gran coupe . Is there any must have options that you need to have it? Is there huge difference between comp and on comp package m6? Ccb a must or nah?
Thanks
Luckily most Ms are already pretty well equipped. Personally for me it came down to CP vs non and color options.

I did a lot of reading on the CP. Some say must have others say meh. I decided after all the reading that I really wanted it so that narrowed down my search options. It doesn't hurt that used CP and non CP cars currently sell for about the same $$$.
Then it was just finding the color combo i wanted. I knew I wanted the SO/Red interior and an exterior that was something other than black or white.

I did not want CCB. I did want full leather but settled for extended. B&O was not a necessity but I am happy to have it. I was only looking for DCT cars. I came across a couple of nice manuals.
I also knew I wanted all the cameras (except NV). I was under the impression that they only came with the driver assistance package. True or not I decided it was a must have.

I also used this VIN decoder a lot to check for the options. Some listings were pretty poor.
https://decoder.bvzine.com/

Hopefully this rambling is useful. Good luck with the search!!!
Appreciate 0