BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Flameinthefire
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Convertible Xdrive

2015 640i xDrive Convertible Suggestions

Hey Guys,

I have a white 640i Convertible and i'm looking to add some mods to it. This is the first time i'll be modding my car. It's practically a brand new car as it only has 13k miles on it. I would like some feedback and suggestions in terms of what i should get. I want to get black rims but not sure which ones to go with. I'm going to list out the things i'm looking to add to my car and would love your feedback.

1. Black rims (Maybe these? https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/3...--COMPLETE-SET)

2. New exhaust but i'm confused between Dinan and MPE. Any suggestions?

3. M Performance steering wheel. (Has anyone done this? do you lose the heating option)

4. Carbon fiber Front bumper lip (I've seen this on 640's but i can't find it. Where would I order it from?

5. Upgrade my speakers to Harmon Kardon (Is this possible?)

6. Carbon Fiber mirror caps (I can order this from BMW's site)

7. M sport pedels

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

With both my BMWs the 1st thing I did in terms of upgrades were:

Nr. 3
Nr. 7

For me personally it gives the interior a nice touch and increases overall perception.

In terms of rims I like the ones you listed but perhaps you can find them cheaper on the Bay. For example here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F12...30wR:rk:2:pf:0

For Upgrade Nr. 4 I am sure others who have installed such a part can say more. There are some threads here in the forum a few pages back if I can recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Flameinthefire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06WINS View Post
With both my BMWs the 1st thing I did in terms of upgrades were:

Nr. 3
Nr. 7

For me personally it gives the interior a nice touch and increases overall perception.

In terms of rims I like the ones you listed but perhaps you can find them cheaper on the Bay. For example here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F12...30wR:rk:2:pf:0

For Upgrade Nr. 4 I am sure others who have installed such a part can say more. There are some threads here in the forum a few pages back if I can recall.
Thanks for your input! The ones on ebay does not come with Tires. Do you think it's still a good buy? As for the Steering wheel, did you miss the heating option?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

You are welcome. Indeed I didn't realise it was without tires. It depends how much you find the tires for and then compare with the complete set by BMW. I also like the M703 wheels which were introduced from 2017 models onwards (on the 6) namely these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-F10...hT1:rk:10:pf:0

As for the M Performance steering I confirm you lose the heating option. My 4 series didn't have that so it was not an issue. When I planned to sell the car I actually switch to an M4 steering wheel (which I love) and retrofitted heated steering as well. In the end I kept the 4 series because I love it as much as the 6. I had the half Alcantara half leather steering and it was great. But living in a cold area I wanted to retrofit heated steering and I do like the M4 steering wheel as well.
On the 6 series I have retrofitted the original carbon M Performance cover and it already improves the look quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I just continue the list.
1. I kept the OEM M434
2. I have the AC-Schnitzer
3. Yes, I bought the M performance as well
4. Front bumper from Hamann with carbon
5. Harmon Kardon is my OEM speaker system
6. Yes, did that as well
7. No
8. Rear carbon spoiler
9. Carbon diffusor
10. Wheel spacer
11. Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Flameinthefire
Rep

Quote:
You are welcome. Indeed I didn't realise it was without tires. It depends how much you find the tires for and then compare with the complete set by BMW. I also like the M703 wheels which were introduced from 2017 models onwards (on the 6) namely these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-F10...hT1:rk:10:pf:0

As for the M Performance steering I confirm you lose the heating option. My 4 series didn't have that so it was not an issue. When I planned to sell the car I actually switch to an M4 steering wheel (which I love) and retrofitted heated steering as well. In the end I kept the 4 series because I love it as much as the 6. I had the half Alcantara half leather steering and it was great. But living in a cold area I wanted to retrofit heated steering and I do like the M4 steering wheel as well.
On the 6 series I have retrofitted the original carbon M Performance cover and it already improves the look quite a bit.
How did you retrofit the heating steering wheel? Can I do that on my 6?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Yes you can for sure.

I retrofitted that on my F32. I purchased a heated steering wheel (original M4 wheel including heating) and then checked my Steering wheel electronic (control) module which in case of the driving assistant if installed at factory (at least with the 4 series) also includes the function for heated steering wheel. So with F30s and F32s usually it depends what functions/options the car has from factory.

My F06 came with heated steering. But the retrofit for the 6 series will be the same or almost (someone who has done can confirm it).
If your model has the lane departure feature (or perhaps the driving assistant plus) all you will need is a new wheel with the heating function integrated. Then you will need part number 61 31 9 188 878 (the switch).
Then you will need to code the S248 in the vehicle FA as well as perform a couple of FDL coding operations - all stuff done (the coding) in 10-15 minutes if you know how to.

But BEFORE you go out and buy a new (heated) steering wheel, have someone check for you that your current steering does not include (usually a brown cable) heating already! With several F30 and F32 models it turned out some wheels actually had the heated function in them but as the S248 was not chosen at time of purchase one would not think this is possible. It's better to double check as it saves you quite some bucks unless you are going for an M6 steering wheel or a new one all together.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Flameinthefire
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can for sure.

I retrofitted that on my F32. I purchased a heated steering wheel (original M4 wheel including heating) and then checked my Steering wheel electronic (control) module which in case of the driving assistant if installed at factory (at least with the 4 series) also includes the function for heated steering wheel. So with F30s and F32s usually it depends what functions/options the car has from factory.

My F06 came with heated steering. But the retrofit for the 6 series will be the same or almost (someone who has done can confirm it).
If your model has the lane departure feature (or perhaps the driving assistant plus) all you will need is a new wheel with the heating function integrated. Then you will need part number 61 31 9 188 878 (the switch).
Then you will need to code the S248 in the vehicle FA as well as perform a couple of FDL coding operations - all stuff done (the coding) in 10-15 minutes if you know how to.

But BEFORE you go out and buy a new (heated) steering wheel, have someone check for you that your current steering does not include (usually a brown cable) heating already! With several F30 and F32 models it turned out some wheels actually had the heated function in them but as the S248 was not chosen at time of purchase one would not think this is possible. It's better to double check as it saves you quite some bucks unless you are going for an M6 steering wheel or a new one all together.
Sorry I'm a little confused. My car currently does have a heating steering wheel so does that mean I have to look for a M-Sport steering wheel that comes with the heated option?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Correct as not all steering wheels come with that function. The steering wheel you are looking to purchase must have integrated heating function. When looking on ETK for example, you can specify what your car is equipped with in order to determine the right part number.

Be aware though if you are upgrading from a Sport steering wheel such as this one:

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...0i/ECE/32_2200

to an M Sport wheel such as this one:

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...0i/ECE/32_2235

You will also need a new Airbag module. If you already have an M-Sport steering wheel then you can retain the same airbag module of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Flameinthefire
Rep

Got it. It's weird that BMW doesn't offer the MSport steering wheel with a heating option directly on their website. Where should I be looking? eBay?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

On the generic BMW Website or on most dealers' Websites in general you will not find that many individual parts shown or advertised unless you shop for them specifically. For example here:

https://www.atlantabmwparts.com/

You can input vehicle data and find out what you need in terms of part number. There is a price there which I cannot tell whether it's good or not for the USA as I am based in Europe. But you can ring up a couple of dealers and check what they charge for the steering wheel you are looking for.

And yes Ebay is also a source to check. But verify well from whom you buy. Sometime BMW dealers use the channel to sell their stuff and you may find the same items will have better prices than if you got it from the dealer itself. And sometime it's the other way round. So time and patience are needed and a bit of shopping around and comparing of course....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
Flameinthefire
Rep

Thanks a lot for all your help! I've already ordered a bunch of stuff: M-Sport Steering wheel(heated), Mirror Caps, MPE, Black Kidney Grills. I'm now only missing is Rims and tires. I don't like the Rims BMW is offering and i'm really confused as to where I should get my rims from. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking for black high quality rims. Also, I really wanted to get a new brake system but BMW doesn't offer one and i looked at Dinan it was close to 6k! which is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Z-Performance
Hamann
HRE
ADV

What is wrong with the OEM brake system? An upgrade would be the ccb but 12000$+
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
Flameinthefire
Rep

I ended up getting CL-R Wheels 20x8.5 front. 20x9.5 rear. Continental dwso6 tires- 245/35/20 front, 285/30/20 rear. The break system is fine but just wanted those nice calipers
Appreciate 0