BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
curttp
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Left Car Running

I recently parked my 640i convertible, thought I had turning it off, got out. and locked it. When I came back an hour later, I found it was still running. I certainly felt dumb.

I think I had the auto start/stop turned off, but not sure. I don't think I will ever turn it off again, but there should be a timer to auto shut it down if running too long unattended
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttp View Post
...there should be a timer to auto shut it down if running too long unattended
Interesting pickle you found yourself in...probaly just part of a "learning curve". . But the question to ask is...how does the car know when it is unattended but still running...and how would it differentiate when to cut off...or stay running in case the car needs to be running because the owner is coding control modules and powering down could corrupt modules...or if you're stuck in traffic during a blizzard or extremely hot day and you need the climate control system on to stay warm or cool?

Or maybe the engine did shut down during the time you were away...but was starting back up as the battery voltage dropped...but then turned off when it recharged itself etc. ... but it just so happened to be running when you came back?

From the owners manual below...gives info as to when the AS/S will not activate:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
damnet007
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

There's a coding option to make the horn beep if you lock the car (using the key fob) whilst the engine is running. Perhaps get it coded in if you think you'll do it again?
Appreciate 0