BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Tire Air Compressor/'Fix-A-Flat' Part Number?

So I discovered, at an inopportune moment, that my car is missing the tire compressor and sealant. Cursed myself out for never checking.

Does anybody have a part number by chance? Can somebody take a pic so that I can see what it looks like?

Is there a cover that goes over the compressor storage space (besides the false trunk floor). I'm assuming the compressor and sealant goes in the space between the battery and the bumper, under the false floor of the trunk?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

You could probably save some money and just buy the green slime kit on amazon. That's what i have in the trunk Velcro strapped down to the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclin View Post
So I discovered, at an inopportune moment, that my car is missing the tire compressor and sealant. Cursed myself out for never checking.

Does anybody have a part number by chance? Can somebody take a pic so that I can see what it looks like?

Is there a cover that goes over the compressor storage space (besides the false trunk floor). I'm assuming the compressor and sealant goes in the space between the battery and the bumper, under the false floor of the trunk?

Thanks in advance!
If you're going to go with the BMW Mobility Kit...I prefer this one because the sealant canister is built-in to the hard case...so you don't have to keep up with the air compressor and the separate canister of sealant. Plus everything (the compressor w/sealant, gloves, & gauge all fit into a zippered pouch that has a hook that allows you to secure the kit to one of the hooks/anchors in the trunk. The sealant canister is also replaceable if you ever have to use it...just buy & replace.

In the 4dr GC, it fits in the back section of the trunk and yes, the GC has a cover over this sunken hiding place. Not sure what the 2dr coupe & vert have.

BMW part number: 71 10 2 333 674

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-02-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Just a suggestion, it is not recommend to use Slime in rims equipped with TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you're going to go with the BMW Mobility Kit...I prefer this one because the sealant canister is built-in to the hard case...so you don't have to keep up with the air compressor and the separate canister of sealant. Plus everything (the compressor w/sealant, gloves, & gauge all fit into a zippered pouch that has a hook that allows you to secure the kit to one of the hooks/anchors in the trunk. The sealant canister is also replaceable if you ever have to use it...just buy & replace.

In the 4dr GC, it fits in the back section of the trunk and yes, the GC has a cover over this sunken hiding place. Not sure what the 2dr coupe & vert have.

BMW part number: 71 10 2 333 674

Does this kit fit inside the storage space for the original compressor, or do you have to hang it somewhere via the carabiner? On my GC, there is a rectangle space (which I'm guessing is the place for the original compressor) and a tube shaped silo (which is for the stock sealant canister i think?)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #7
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I understand the desire to want to have original BMW equipment, but ever since my E46 M3 (I now own a F13 M6), I have had plenty of flats, and never ended up using the M Mobility kit in conjunction with the sealant. Instead, I called BMW or AAA roadside assistance, had my car flatbedded to the nearest tire center or BMW dealership, and had the tire fixed with a patch. The problem with using any sealant is that it gets all over the rims, and if you not get the rim completely clean after application of a sealant, it will throw off the balance of the wheels. That said, I have used just the compressor to pump up the tire pressure when there have been small leaks, when the tire pressure warning light comes on, so I can make it to the tire center or dealership to patch my tire. But the problem with the M Mobility compressor, is that you need to run it from the car’s cigarette lighter, and the power cord only reaches so far. So what I have done is get a cordless air compressor, which looks like a cordless drill, and use that instead. Plenty different models, and I ended up getting the Robyi model on Amazon, which has an integrated air pressure gauge. Much easier to use than the M Mobility kit. BTW - the M Mobility kit for the M6, and I am not sure if the one pictured is that model, does fit in that covered space in the back of the trunk.

Last edited by ManhattanBMW; 01-03-2019 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #8
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
I understand the desire to want to have original BMW equipment, but ever since my E46 M3 (I now own a F13 M6), I have had plenty of flats, and never ended up using the M Mobility kit in conjunction with the sealant. Instead, I called BMW or AAA roadside assistance, had my car flatbedded to the nearest tire center or BMW dealership, and had the tire fixed with a patch. The problem with using any sealant is that it gets all over the rims, and if you not get the rim completely clean after application of a sealant, it will throw off the balance of the wheels. That said, I have used just the compressor to pump up the tire pressure when there have been small leaks, when the tire pressure warning light comes on, so I can make it to the tire center or dealership to patch my tire. But the problem with the M Mobility compressor, is that you need to run it from the car’s cigarette lighter, and the power cord only reaches so far. So what I have done is get a cordless air compressor, which looks like a cordless drill, and use that instead. Plenty different models, and I ended up getting the Robyi model on Amazon, which has an integrated air pressure gauge. Much easier to use than the M Mobility kit. BTW - the M Mobility kit for the M6, and I am not sure if the one pictured is that model, does fit in that covered space in the back of the trunk.
Appreciate the insight!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Does this kit fit inside the storage space for the original compressor, or do you have to hang it somewhere via the carabiner? On my GC, there is a rectangle space (which I'm guessing is the place for the original compressor) and a tube shaped silo (which is for the stock sealant canister i think?)
Yes, I have my mobility kit stored in that space. If you have other things stored there, then the carabiner/hook allows you to hang the kit up out of the way...or attach it to one of the floor anchors to prevent it from being tossed around in the trunk. Take a look when you can, but I believe there was some openings or hooks below the rear parcel shelf that can be utilized to hand the kit from (if needed). Hopefully I'm not conflating this with my old e38 which did have this ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
I understand the desire to want to have original BMW equipment...I called BMW or AAA roadside assistance, had my car flatbedded to the nearest tire center or BMW dealership, and had the tire fixed with a patch.
The problem with using any sealant is that it gets all over the rims...it will throw off the balance of the wheels. ...the problem with the M Mobility compressor, is that you need to run it from the car’s cigarette lighter, and the power cord only reaches so far. ... BTW - the M Mobility kit for the M6, and I am not sure if the one pictured is that model, does fit in that covered space in the back of the trunk.
You raise some very valid points/arguments to determine if the BMW Mobility kit is appropriate for ones situation. The flip side to those points to consider are:
  • Do you have run flat tires or did you remove them? If you swapped over to regular tires...the mobility kit might be a considerable life saver depending on where you live or drive.
  • If you don't live in a large urban/metropolitan area and travel small two-lane roads or state highways instead of interstate highways that have exit ramps every few miles and tire shops are available to help in an emergency within 24-36 hours...the kit may be crucial to own. Especially if you don't have run flat tires to drive you into the nearest town.
  • Read the instructions for the kit so that you understand how and when to use the BMW sealant (many people don't read the instructions and miss important warnings and details). The sealant BMW uses in the kit is different than the oft mentioned SLIME. BMW uses a sealant that can easily be removed from the TPMS sensor if used.
  • If you do need to turn the dial on the mobility kit (mentioned in my post above) to allow sealant to be squirted into the tire...once there's enough air pressure in the tire...you can turn off the valve to the sealant (this kit is cleaner and easier to use vs the one that has the separate round sealant canister). Plus you're supposed to drive the vehicle to disperse the sealant evenly inside the tire. If you don't, then as mentioned, the sealant can collect in one spot and cause tire imbalance.
  • The f06 GC has a 12 volt outlet in the center console...which puts it almost in the center of the car...and the power cord on the air compressor is long enough to reach all four tires if you use that outlet

Again, this mobility kit in video below has a built-in sealant canister that you can select to use if needed. Once you hook up the hose to the tire, you can then turn on the compressor and select the sealant when needed and turn it off...then reseal the tire and take it for a little spin to distribute the sealant evenly inside the tire. The biggest downside is probably the cost. I got mine on Amazon.com and used some of my reward card earnings to bring the cost down.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-04-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 03:55 AM   #10
THero01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I always carry a Goodyear GY-30L GY000101 air compressor in my car and pick the right air compressor oil https://kylesgarage.com/best-air-compressor-oil/. I've been dreaming to buy a compressor for a long time. Before I borrowed this model from a friend for a while and liked it. Of the advantages, I can note that it quickly pumps the tires. Also pleased with the complete set and low level of noise. I bought it a few months ago for tire pumping. I will say that this is an excellent compressor at an inexpensive price. Pumps tire well, without interruptions. I had no problems with it. The kit includes adapter attachments, which is very convenient, so we often go for a ride on tubing in the winter, at the same time I pump them up. Bag included, convenient to store.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
I carry a plug kit and portable air compressor in my car. Plugging the tire is better than using any type of sealant.