BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
bravekido
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

What ECU tune for burble

I replaced the stock with FI exhaust, but this has no burble. What ECU tune do you recommend that will enable burble? And will there an option to control level of burble(low/high)?
I don't care much about other tuning settings, but just burble. It would be a plus if it's cheap tune and it's easy to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravekido View Post
I replaced the stock with FI exhaust, but this has no burble. What ECU tune do you recommend that will enable burble? And will there an option to control level of burble(low/high)?
I don't care much about other tuning settings, but just burble. It would be a plus if it's cheap tune and it's easy to install.
Go to Mission Performance, you will find what you are looking for and it's cheap compared to a tune for a Lambo so you should be good to go
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Heres my in depth burble experience/ everything you need to know.

I went with Halim at HCP through bootmod3, very pleased with results! I sent payment, and requested what I wanted and the first map he sent did exactly what I wanted. So far the most aggressive and consistent burble I’ve heard for the s63.

I’ve tried different tuners and what not; lost money and learned. So listen to my experience here lol DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go with Cary Jordan or “tunedbycary” (forgot name on tuning platform). He’s apparently good with M3/4’s and making tunes for power but not burbles with M5/6’s. HCP is very busy and took forever to respond so me being impatient reached out to another “reputable tuner” and I think after like 4 different maps he couldn’t get it to burble correctly and one map even kept causing my car to stall on deceleration, literally would die when coming to a stop sign or letting off throttle after light pull. I was very disappointed. After that I refuse to “try” another map. I’ll take the loss.

Apparently making the s63 burble is a lot more intricate than it is on the 4/6cyl motors. So make sure you choose a tuner with a load of experience with s63 platform. Depending on how aggressive you want the car to bang and where you’re located I’d recommend
HCP
Labworx
DME tuning
Cheapest route would be buying and installing bootmod3 yourself for ~$900 then request a custom map from HCP for ~$500

If you’re not interested in power gains there is no need to go to a big name performance shop and have the car put on a dyno, it’s pointless, save the $1000 or more.

Also make sure you get catless dp’s. Burble will blow holes in cats eventually no matter how aggressive. If you have any more questions or want to hear a video of my setup, shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
bravekido
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Heres my in depth burble experience/ everything you need to know.

I went with Halim at HCP through bootmod3, very pleased with results! I sent payment, and requested what I wanted and the first map he sent did exactly what I wanted. So far the most aggressive and consistent burble I’ve heard for the s63.

I’ve tried different tuners and what not; lost money and learned. So listen to my experience here lol DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go with Cary Jordan or “tunedbycary” (forgot name on tuning platform). He’s apparently good with M3/4’s and making tunes for power but not burbles with M5/6’s. HCP is very busy and took forever to respond so me being impatient reached out to another “reputable tuner” and I think after like 4 different maps he couldn’t get it to burble correctly and one map even kept causing my car to stall on deceleration, literally would die when coming to a stop sign or letting off throttle after light pull. I was very disappointed. After that I refuse to “try” another map. I’ll take the loss.

Apparently making the s63 burble is a lot more intricate than it is on the 4/6cyl motors. So make sure you choose a tuner with a load of experience with s63 platform. Depending on how aggressive you want the car to bang and where you’re located I’d recommend
HCP
Labworx
DME tuning
Cheapest route would be buying and installing bootmod3 yourself for ~$900 then request a custom map from HCP for ~$500

If you’re not interested in power gains there is no need to go to a big name performance shop and have the car put on a dyno, it’s pointless, save the $1000 or more.

Also make sure you get catless dp’s. Burble will blow holes in cats eventually no matter how aggressive. If you have any more questions or want to hear a video of my setup, shoot me a PM.
Wow. Great feedback!!! Thanks.
I looked at bootmod3, and it says it comes with one free map. So shouldn’t $900 be for everything including the burble map? Or you are saying HCP’s custom map is a must have. I don’t need burble all the time. I like it in moderation, and sometimes.
If I need a cat less dP for burble, then how come BMW’s CP or performance exhaust have burble with stock cat and I’ve neved heard of risks for leaving holes? Or you are saying with abundant burble comes the risk of hoes? I just need some burble/crackle, not too much.

https://www.x-ph.com/bootmod3-flash-tune/
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

The free maps or “OTS” maps are maps that give you more power, nothing to do with burble. It’s a process to get it work on the s63 so tuners sadly charge for it. HCP is the cheapest for the burble. I paid more than that twice to two other tuners that couldn’t do what he could. It is however free in the OTS maps for the 4/6cyl crowds, you can even adjust the aggressiveness for those smaller motors through bootmod3. Burble only happens when the car is decelerating and staying in that gear. So unless you have it in auto D3 it will only happen in “manual” mode.
Basically in manual mode, ride out second to 5k or more rpm hard then let of throttle and let engine slow you down and let your ears melt.

I had the competition package on my car and those weren’t really burbles it was just a light backfire if I shifted hard. And in NO WAY comparable to the way it is now. It’s like comparing a hand clap to a 9mm gun shot, literally it’s insane. I got it done because stock this car is quieter than a v6 mustang. It’s way too quiet for being a super sedan. Now people no what it is. Before “oh nice looking car” now “wow, how fast is that thing?”

A burble is a late combustion in the turbo manifold. It causes pre-mature damage to hotside of turbo and any thing it’s way. I’m saying no matter what aggressive burbles will damage your cats and blow holes in them, I speak with experience and holes in mine after maybe 2 or 3 downshifts. Light burbles might not do it as bad or as quick but it does damage it.
I’d reccomend downpipes if for nothing else, the sound of the turbos it produces. It also enhances stock pops and what not.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
bravekido
Rep

Quote:
The free maps or “OTS” maps are maps that give you more power, nothing to do with burble. It’s a process to get it work on the s63 so tuners sadly charge for it. HCP is the cheapest for the burble. I paid more than that twice to two other tuners that couldn’t do what he could. It is however free in the OTS maps for the 4/6cyl crowds, you can even adjust the aggressiveness for those smaller motors through bootmod3. Burble only happens when the car is decelerating and staying in that gear. So unless you have it in auto D3 it will only happen in “manual” mode.
Basically in manual mode, ride out second to 5k or more rpm hard then let of throttle and let engine slow you down and let your ears melt.

I had the competition package on my car and those weren’t really burbles it was just a light backfire if I shifted hard. And in NO WAY comparable to the way it is now. It’s like comparing a hand clap to a 9mm gun shot, literally it’s insane. I got it done because stock this car is quieter than a v6 mustang. It’s way too quiet for being a super sedan. Now people no what it is. Before “oh nice looking car” now “wow, how fast is that thing?”

A burble is a late combustion in the turbo manifold. It causes pre-mature damage to hotside of turbo and any thing it’s way. I’m saying no matter what aggressive burbles will damage your cats and blow holes in them, I speak with experience and holes in mine after maybe 2 or 3 downshifts. Light burbles might not do it as bad or as quick but it does damage it.
I’d reccomend downpipes if for nothing else, the sound of the turbos it produces. It also enhances stock pops and what not.
So you are saying I should not add burble if I'm not going with catless downpipe? My current exhaust is already too loud (FI exhaust). I don't want to make it any louder by adding dp. Also, people complain about the smell of gasoline if you go catless dp. So I've been trying to avoid changing dp.

If burbles damage cats, then how/why bmw offers it? I used to have a 435 (6 inline 1 turbo) before and I had the OEM performance exhaust + ppk and it was burbling nicely.

You also said the burble will damage the turbo. How much damage? I assume not that much since you've added burbles.

And do you have a video clip of the burbles on your car? If you already have it, it would be great to see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have a burble tune from MP and the car runs like a swiss watch, stock dp's, stock intake with scoops, Eisenmann sport exhaust with valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

It depends how aggressive the burbles actually are. I’ll post a video later. Mine literally sound like gun shots and can last over 5 seconds if I want to. I had holes in mine from it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It depends how aggressive the burbles actually are. I’ll post a video later. Mine literally sound like gun shots and can last over 5 seconds if I want to. I had holes in mine from it.
Those aren't burbles. People have lost sight of what a burble tune is. It should just make low frequency rumbles while the RPM's are coming down in gear from 3-4-5k and down. What you are describing are backfires like Uncle Bucks car from the 80's but rapidly and I am pretty sure that is not good for your engine.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Those aren't burbles. People have lost sight of what a burble tune is. It should just make low frequency rumbles while the RPM's are coming down in gear from 3-4-5k and down. What you are describing are backfires like Uncle Bucks car from the 80's but rapidly and I am pretty sure that is not good for your engine.
Uncle Buck's car had people running !
haha
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Tomatoe, potato. Same thing lol. I know it causes damage and I made that very clear. I don’t do it every day. I enjoy the car more so I’ll deal.
Appreciate 1