BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Question: Front Strut Removal on M6GC

I have a noise coming from the front driver side strut so I figure I'll just replace it. I pulled the wheel today, and read what I could find on M5post, but have a couple questions for anyone that may have removed the strut before.

1) I know the spring is under compression against the top hat, but I'm wondering if the whole assembly is under compression when the suspension is fully unweighted. In other words, do I need to worry about the strut expanding when the lower bolt is removed? Based on other BMWs, I believe the strut is fully extended when unweighted, but I've only worked on the E90 chassis where the strut was clamped in the steering knuckle.

2) Can the strut assembly be removed without removing any of the control arms. If so, any special hints like how to have the wheel turned, or drop the strut toward the front or rear?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Why would you bother to do it yourself? Just take it to a mechanic who has the proper tools... this is not a civic, LOL 😆
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry can't help with how to do the job, but my drivers side front strut was just replaced under warranty due to a noise. Just a FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
Sorry can't help with how to do the job, but my drivers side front strut was just replaced under warranty due to a noise. Just a FYI.
Thanks buddy. I found series of pictures from various websites that provide enough info for me to make the repair. I have ZERO faith in my local dealership and refuse to have them perform any service I can do myself. Just waiting for the parts to arrive.

BTW, can you describe the noise you were getting, what mileage you were at when it started and whether you remember anything that may have caused the noise?

In my case, I hit a piece of concrete that fell off the back of a flatbed. I swerved to the right to avoid taking it in the oil pan, and instead hit it with the outside of the front wheel. The wheel was damaged, and I'm sure the strut bottomed out. The wheel was replaced, but the driver side suspension started to develop a groaning noise at slow speed after about 1,000 miles. The car drives fine and I hear no noise at speed, but it sounds like an old pickup when driving at parking lot speeds. When I put it on the lift to located the noise, I noticed it was coming from the strut when turning the wheel. I figure I will just replace the strut, strut bearing and lower control arm while I have it apart. It's only fourteen bolts including the lug nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Doing it yourself if you can always beats going to a shop or the dealer $$$$
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Thanks buddy. I found series of pictures from various websites that provide enough info for me to make the repair. I have ZERO faith in my local dealership and refuse to have them perform any service I can do myself. Just waiting for the parts to arrive.

BTW, can you describe the noise you were getting, what mileage you were at when it started and whether you remember anything that may have caused the noise?

In my case, I hit a piece of concrete that fell off the back of a flatbed. I swerved to the right to avoid taking it in the oil pan, and instead hit it with the outside of the front wheel. The wheel was damaged, and I'm sure the strut bottomed out. The wheel was replaced, but the driver side suspension started to develop a groaning noise at slow speed after about 1,000 miles. The car drives fine and I hear no noise at speed, but it sounds like an old pickup when driving at parking lot speeds. When I put it on the lift to located the noise, I noticed it was coming from the strut when turning the wheel. I figure I will just replace the strut, strut bearing and lower control arm while I have it apart. It's only fourteen bolts including the lug nuts.
Absolutely!

31k miles, drivers side made a metal on metal kind of rattle/clunk on uneven roads. Had to be going around 20mph. I think similar to what you're saying sounded like an old truck, especially when you hear the echo off buildings.

Did you check your brake dust shield for damage. They are super flimsy and may have bent causing noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Well I replaced the strut, strut bearing and lower wishbone yesterday. It took about 4 hours with multiple breaks, and most of the time trying to decipher BMW's service manual. The job was actually much easier than changing the struts on an e92 M3. No "special" tools required (assuming you have a respectable set of tools with several 24mm, 21mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm, 14mm, 13mm, 8mm sockets and spanners; an E14 socket; a T-40 torx; and a 50-200 NM torque wrench).

Although the service manual indicated that and alignment was necessary when replacing the lower wishbone, there were no eccentric bolts/washers released during the whole process. And though the car drives straight as an arrow, I still plan on taking it in for an alignment. Best part... The noise is gone and the car feels rock solid again.

If anyone has questions on the procedures, just shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0