BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Extremely slow downshifts

I just got my vehicle back from its annual service and as soon as I drove away, I noticed that when I downshift, instead of it being instantaneous, it takes approximately 1.5 - 2 seconds before the gear change happens. The gear number in the display changes instantly, but the actual mechanics of the gear change are heavily delayed.

It feels as if the car is in "Eco Pro" mode and has the shift harshness set to 1 (even though it is set to 3). But upshifts happen instantaneously, as normal.

It makes the car feel like a Buick/Lexus with super slow gear changes and makes me really not want to drive it.

It does seem to get a bit better (but not perfect) after 10 or 15 minutes or so in the car, but most of my trips are that length, so I am always experiencing it.

I'm hoping it may be some sort of vehicle protection mode that is temporarily on after a recent oil change and that it will eventually go back to normal. But that could just be wishful thinking.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

I seriously doubt it has to do with the oil change. Did they update the car at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
I've experienced this after a service at Beverly Hills BMW. I thought they gimped my car, but after a couple days everything returned to normal. They might have reset the adaptive driver feature and the computer was relearning your driving habits.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
I've experienced this after a service at Beverly Hills BMW. I thought they gimped my car, but after a couple days everything returned to normal. They might have reset the adaptive driver feature and the computer was relearning your driving habits.
I thought it might be due to the adaptive transmission needing to "re-learn" my habits. But when I drove the car again a second and third time, the slow shifting returns. So it isn't learning how I would have expected it to - or perhaps I just don't understand its logic.

However, when I drove it yesterday afternoon, while the slow downshifts were still there, it did only last about 2 minutes, rather than 10+. So it looks like it might be getting better.

I'll try it again today and see if things continue to improve or if it goes back to slow downshifts again.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's so weird. Why do that? Drive that bitch hard!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I did a "reset" on the adaptive learning and it immediately made the car drive like "normal".

However, in the past, some people have commented that such a fix was short-lasting (a couple of weeks or a mont), and they had to do the reset procedure again.

Even if that is the case, at least I can do it myself, and not have to bring it into the dealership to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How do you do that?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
I did a "reset" on the adaptive learning and it immediately made the car drive like "normal".

However, in the past, some people have commented that such a fix was short-lasting (a couple of weeks or a mont), and they had to do the reset procedure again.

Even if that is the case, at least I can do it myself, and not have to bring it into the dealership to do it.
What is the procedure for the reset?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The reset procedure that worked for me ...

1. Turn on car without your foot on the brake (so that the engine doesn't start)

2. Wait a couple of seconds for the dashboard to finish "lighting up"

3. Put your foot down all the way on the accelerator pedal (I didn't go past the kick down point)

4. Hold your foot on the accelerator for about 25 - 30 seconds (you might be able to hold it for less, but this is the amount of time that works for me)

5. Release your foot off the accelerator pedal

6. Put your foot on the brake and start the vehicle as per normal
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
glad to hear it worked out!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
glad to hear it worked out!
Not so fast. The problem returned today.

Going to wait and see what the dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #12
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry to hear that bro... Does the car let you know if it's reset?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior75 View Post
Sorry to hear that bro... Does the car let you know if it's reset?
No, there is no indication that the reset has occurred.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I took another short drive today. The issue of course is still there.

I did however try and few things and discovered that if I have the foot even partially on the gas when I downshift, the shift is instantaneous. But if I am just coasting or have my foot on the brake, it is very lethargic.

What that tells me is that it is an issue with the "logic" of the system, rather than the car not being able to complete a quick downshift.

I also pulled off to the site of the road, did another "reset" and the car drove like normal after that.

I shot a very quick video of a 4->3 and a 3->2 downshift, so you can get an idea of the delay. You can hear the paddle click, and the gear number changes instantly ... then about 1.5 seconds later, you see the RPMs rise when the actual gear change occurs.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Have the dealer reset the DCT and adaptive learning, hopefully that takes care of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Your car is stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Car is stock.

I was hoping to rectify this issue without a trip back to the dealer. I find with these "intermittent" type issues (i.e.: it only happens for a certain amount of time, or it doesn't always exhibit the behaviour), often the dealer will experience it "working", and believe that they have fixed the issue. Except it will return after your pick up the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately, that's always the case for me as well. Intermittent issues are extremely frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
rkb4_photos
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Hey, I was wondering if your issue ever resolved itself. I am having the same lethargic downshifts that is also intermittent. I noticed that it started happening when the weather got a little cooler even though I park in a garage.

I did notice after the engine hits normal operating temps I would pull over and restart the car and boom, it goes back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb4_photos View Post
Hey, I was wondering if your issue ever resolved itself. I am having the same lethargic downshifts that is also intermittent. I noticed that it started happening when the weather got a little cooler even though I park in a garage.

I did notice after the engine hits normal operating temps I would pull over and restart the car and boom, it goes back to normal.
Yes, the colder it gets, I find that the "warmup" period takes longer, and also the time it takes for the car to sit in the garage and go back to "lethargic" mode also shortens.

What is also interesting is that if you turn on cruise control, then downshift, the gear change occurs instantaneously. So the transmission is able to do the quick downshifts, but just doesn't want to when driving normally (without cruise control on).

Actually, I was just in the dealership this Friday and brought up the issue with the new foreman (as the previous one had left and my discussions with him hadn't carried forward).

I am going to bring in the car again in the next week or two for them to look at it. They are going to see if their are any DCT software updates and then if not, they are going to submit a case to BMW in Germany if there is no obvious fix. They did this with my M4 drive shaft vibration issue and it was eventually resolved.

I'll definitely post back here once I find out more.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
rkb4_photos
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Thanks for the update!

After some deep research, I did find that a F10 M5 owner was having similar issues and that he took his car in for a transmission re-flash which seemed to correct the delayed downshifts. Waiting to here back to see if anything else was involved.

I currently have a date with another SA Wednesday, I'll post up any updates as well hoping they can do the same procedure.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Definitely keep me posted as I will want to bring that to the attention of my foreman when I set up my next service appointment.
Appreciate 0