BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Windshield Replacement

Anyone have this done? They put cinders down on the overpasses here in Dallas, and of course... I get a damn crack today . Just got my car back from the shop due to pot hole damage, just can't win.

Curious to the cost and time involved.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
Anyone have this done? They put cinders down on the overpasses here in Dallas, and of course... I get a damn crack today . Just got my car back from the shop due to pot hole damage, just can't win.

Curious to the cost and time involved.

Thanks!
Most insurance companies will cover damaged windshields. Be sure to mention if you have a HUD. That requires a more expensive windshield than no HUD.
You can also contact these guys for a quote https://www.safelite.com/
Appreciate 1
mgmarsh39253.00
      01-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
Most insurance companies will cover damaged windshields. Be sure to mention if you have a HUD. That requires a more expensive windshield than no HUD.
You can also contact these guys for a quote https://www.safelite.com/
Well, here in TX you've got to fork over your deductible so I am out that at the very least. I recall in FL, windshields were no deductible, which was nice.

Yep, I do have HUD, assuming this will most likely run into the 1,000s. Was going to the dealer to have this done unless you think an autoglass company like safelite can do it properly. I heard there is calibration etc involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
Well, here in TX you've got to fork over your deductible so I am out that at the very least. I recall in FL, windshields were no deductible, which was nice.

Yep, I do have HUD, assuming this will most likely run into the 1,000s. Was going to the dealer to have this done unless you think an autoglass company like safelite can do it properly. I heard there is calibration etc involved.
Is the crack less than the length of a dollar bill? Its possible that it can fixed. Didn't know about calibration requirements. Perhaps its best to go to the dealership unless you know an indy shop that can recommend a reputable company.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 alpine white M6 GC

just had mine replaced, had lane departure and hud it ran $2700. windshield itself is about $1500 + sound deadening that goes around, reprogramming of the windshield wiper sensor and lane departure and then labor. not cheap.

wouldn't try and third party it as they are roughly the same cost as the dealer and then you have to go to the dealer for programming anyways after.
Appreciate 1
mgmarsh39253.00
      01-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I don’t know if you guys have Safelite auto glass repair near you but I used them on my 535 had hud and rain sensor for the wipers , they did a professional and clean job , highly recommend them , they only go by the vin# so they install the correct windshield , I went to one of there shops to have it installed they have a nice waiting room , it took them about 1 to 1-1/2 hours , They also have Mobile installers that can meet you anywhere, with all the windshields and glass I had over the years they were by far the best to deal with.
Appreciate 1
mgmarsh39253.00